Exercises to increase picking accuracy and speed

Started by jgibb, June 27, 2013, 08:03:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jgibb

Hi everyone,

My playing has been extremely sloppy and lazy lately. I just got back from a sixth month trip and haven't touched a guitar in half a year. I'm going to try to reteach myself again and focus on areas that I missed learning the guitar years ago. My picking is extremely inaccurate and real slow. Does anyone have any practice exercises they find helpful to them? Much appreciated!

-John

Hans Moleman

Play to a metronome. Always. When you're practicing, record yourself (on anything, doesn't have to be fancy). Play for a couple minutes and then listen back to it carefully. Time is everything - you can play any note and make it sound right if your time is good.

The whole metronome/recording thing is advice from Wayne Krantz, greatest guitar player I've ever seen.

Another thing he preaches, that would be helpful for you is to always make music with your practice time. If you feel your picking is slow, don't just run scales - it's a waste of time. Use those scales to play music. All you need is a metronome.

His book is challenging but mind blowing:
http://www.abstractlogix.com/xcart/product.php?productid=24532&cat=0&page=1

Stecks

Quote from: Hans Moleman on June 27, 2013, 10:12:09 AM
Play to a metronome. Always. When you're practicing, record yourself (on anything, doesn't have to be fancy). Play for a couple minutes and then listen back to it carefully. Time is everything - you can play any note and make it sound right if your time is good.

The whole metronome/recording thing is advice from Wayne Krantz, greatest guitar player I've ever seen.

Another thing he preaches, that would be helpful for you is to always make music with your practice time. If you feel your picking is slow, don't just run scales - it's a waste of time. Use those scales to play music. All you need is a metronome.

HOLY CRAP is Wayne Krantz the man..  his time/tempo changes are probably the most flawless and sharpest I've ever heard.  He's mind blowing.

Yeah, Playing to a metronome is key.   My friend who has an MFA in jazz guitar from a prominent jazz program on the east coast shared this exercise with me, he's been doing it every morning for the past 10+ years:

Set your metronome.
Play each interval of a scale (whole note) on each beat.. not necessarily ascending/descending (as the mole said)... then increase (2/beat, 3/beat...)  Once you get to 5 it gets pretty tricky.  Try to play the scale out of normal "patterny" positions.. try skipping strings... try all upstrokes... etc etc etc

THE TRICK is to not sacrifice ACCURACY for SPEED...  I have found, for me anyway, the most important thing to build speed is to GO SLOW... somewhat paradoxical.  For years I tried to play fast - but then by making a conscious effort to SLOW DOWN, I was actually able to play a lot faster.  Go figure!

I think one of the big things that is incredibly overlooked by guitarists is NOT KNOWING ALL THE NOTES on EACH STRING on the guitar...  probably the majority of guitar  players I've talked to/played with, etc don't know them - they know patterns but not the notes.  This is essential and often overlooked.
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

TheSeeker

Quote from: Hans Moleman on June 27, 2013, 10:12:09 AM

I totally agree with above statement.  Learn the scales, but don't just go up and down them.  Another thing I find very helpful and useful is to learn arpeggios!  Not only do they have notes from the scales, but it helps with up and down picking, skipping strings, and some hard to reach notes.  If you have videos of your favorite guitar players, try watching their picking hand to see what kind of technique they have.  Watching Frank Zappa is where I learned to pick..haha.  Ultimateguitar.com has some basic picking exercises also!
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

fulltone1989

I always try to do scales in intervals as well. Scale degrees I guess. 1,3,2,4,3,5,4,6,5,7,6,8 (octave)

Not try to get into a discussion as to what an interval is. It just makes you think about each note. I had brain tumors removed back in 2009 so my right hand is finicky so I do lots of scale work and finger crawls to a metronome to make sure the right and left work together.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Stecks

Quote from: fulltone1989 on June 27, 2013, 06:50:24 PM
I always try to do scales in intervals as well. Scale degrees I guess. 1,3,2,4,3,5,4,6,5,7,6,8 (octave)

Not try to get into a discussion as to what an interval is. It just makes you think about each note. I had brain tumors removed back in 2009 so my right hand is finicky so I do lots of scale work and finger crawls to a metronome to make sure the right and left work together.

I feel ya bro.  I had a stroke in 2006 from blood clots after I broke my leg, hand was paralyzed for a few months.  I think guitar was actually better than any of the rehab!  More fun anyway!

But to your point of cohesion between L&R hands:  I think a common pitfall (in my case anyway) is blaming my fretting hand when the problem is with my picking hand...
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ