Main Menu

6L6's vs 6V6's?

Started by Helping Friendly, August 02, 2013, 11:30:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

So weird I was about to post a new thread on which tubes you guys prefer 6l6's or 6V6's? And Heady posted his last thread about the tubes! We're on the same wave path Heady!
So just wondering what you guys prefer and what are the differences? I have never owned either and currently use KT77. Not really happy with them. Need more warmth and fatness. Not sure if one tube can give you more bouncyness but that is something I would like to have more of. I was probably leaning towards NOS RCA 6V6's but wanted to get some outside input first. Especially on this forum for I seek a phish inspired tone.

Thanks

Heady Jam Fan

6V6's have less tonal breadth and thus are more midrange focused, yet Trey uses them in a Fender and uses 6L6's in a Mesa - so his Mesa still cuts through better because it is generally a more midrange focused amp.

I am going (as last thread on the same wave-length state, lol) to try my EL34's again. In some ways, I think they are like the KT type tubes (ie, KT66), but I don't have much experience with them - basically nearly the size of 6L6 but not quite.

IMO, don't think about just the tubes or just the amp or just the speaker, but the system as a whole. My favorite Trey tones come from a stack of Celestions powered by a 6L6 Mesa. If I want a 112, a Mesa running on EL34's into an EVM12L might get me close enough (and closer than 1 Celestion speaker). Just an example - what speaker are you using?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

Very cool. Yes as as I think of my set up as a whole this is what I figured-

My amp is a Carvin X100b (late 80's) which I guess is a midrange focused amp. I had some mods done to it and its getting very close to the tone i'm after. I've been really digging the bright switch engaged and the presence down a bit. I do like the amp's sound that way but it's a tad to shimmery so that's why I wanted to maybe switch up the power tubes (6L6 or 6V6).

I play through a 4x12 cab. 2 bottom speakers are DELTA PRO-12A which i've been told are a good direct replacement of the EVM12L. (there's the same wave-length again!) The top 2 speakers are G12T-75's.
Now my amp is 100 watts and sure does give a ton of head room. So Maybe I would want a tube that DOES break up earlier? Not sure which route to go there? It's also loud as hell! I'm going to try putting a couple 12AU7's in the pre slots where the AX7's are to see if that tames it.

I also just bought a bunch of different alnico mags for my humbuckers to experiment with. My neck currently is a 59' with the A5 mag. Which is a bright mag so I'm going to experiment with an A4 and A3. My guitar is all maple which is just more brightness!

So yea, any suggestions are appreciated. I will also keep up to date on all the tweeking I've got planed. Hopefully this weekend! THANKS

Heady Jam Fan

Wow, cool stuff man - I'd love to hear your thoughts on all this gear if you get the chance to write up a review!

I've heard the same thing about the Delta Pro and the Delta Lite II 2512. For a compact / lightweight 212 cab, I always thought the Delta Lite and Celestion Century Vintage would be an interesting combo.
How do you like the G12T-75's? I can't remember trying one.

The AU will be notably less gain than the AX. The AT is less of a change in gain, but is a much different tube in other electronic variables (ie, current at its output), but the 5751 is a good option and was SRV's favorite in my understanding. I've tried other preamp tubes and usually end up going back to AX7's personally, but I know another Phish fan who has great tone and he uses ANOS Mullard AT7s.

I don't know much about those old Crate amps, but its cool you've stuck with it and mod'ed it to your taste. I'm always surprised more people here haven't tried (or don't use) Mesa MKIII's.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

I will most def write a review on it all once I finish. Oh and its a Carvin (the amp Zappa used).
I personally wouldn't be caught dead with a Crate amp. lol
I also might be in the market for a D-style pedal for singing leads. I think i'm gona go with the new Wiz-Pedal D. Check into them, they seem pretty damn sick if your into a dumble-tone flava once and a while.

fulltone1989

I thought the KT66 was a solid tube, used them in my Soul-O for a bit and it smoothed out the highs and had a fatter more pronounced mids - great for jazz. I put Mesa 6L6's back in though and it sounds pretty similar to me, YMMV though. I may be selling my LP Zendrive...
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on August 03, 2013, 10:43:48 PM
I will most def write a review on it all once I finish. Oh and its a Carvin (the amp Zappa used).
I also might be in the market for a D-style pedal for singing leads. I think i'm gona go with the new Wiz-Pedal D. Check into them, they seem pretty damn sick if your into a dumble-tone flava once and a while.

Crate, Carvin... same difference ;)

Helping Friendly

Quote from: fulltone1989 on August 05, 2013, 01:03:35 PM
I thought the KT66 was a solid tube, used them in my Soul-O for a bit and it smoothed out the highs and had a fatter more pronounced mids - great for jazz. I put Mesa 6L6's back in though and it sounds pretty similar to me, YMMV though. I may be selling my LP Zendrive...

Yea supposedly KT66's are very different from the KT77's (that I'm currently using). They were on my radar for a bit and I will try them one day.

Let me know on the Zen!
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 05, 2013, 01:26:59 PM
Quote from: Helping Friendly on August 03, 2013, 10:43:48 PM

Crate, Carvin... same difference ;)

LOL...   Line 6, Mesa ... same difference :o     

hahaha!

Heady Jam Fan

LOL...   Line 6, Mesa ... same difference :o     

hahaha!
[/quote]

Oh man, I just crapped my pants and died. :'(

I popped my EL34's back in my Mesa. They're old and hum a bit, but they sound pretty nice - definitely a bit more juicy and midrange-focused than the 6L6's. Also just a wee bit quieter (even though its 15 rather than 60w). I think I like the EL34's more though - I might invest in a new pair.