Pedals in sunlight

Started by webephishin, August 10, 2013, 12:07:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

webephishin

Does anyone have any remedies of making your pedal LEDs more visible while playing a midday show outside?  Ive recently played a cpl shows outside during the day and its been tough to see which pedals are on and which are not.  Usually I can tell by the sound from my amp and/or monitors but when the sound guy isnt doing a good job and the sound is f'ed,  its tough to figure out on the fly.
Guitars: Schecter c/sh-1 (SD 59 PUPs), Michael Kelly Valor CT, Fender Montara Acoustic/Electric

Effects: Boss tuner > Digitech Whammy II > Dunlop GCB95 Crybaby > EH micro Qtron > MXR Script Phase 90 > Dunlop Univibe > SD SFX-07 (Shape Shifter) Tremolo > TS9 AM Silver > TS9DX > Ross Compressor (Black) > Boss DD-7 w/FS-5U

Amp: Fender Hot Rod Deville 410

Heady Jam Fan

The only thing that comes to mind is shielding some of the light somehow... it sounds funny, but maybe setting up one of those beach umbrella's, or attaching some cardboard around part of your board (which ever side faces the sun - maybe cutting 3 sides off of a box).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Happyorange27

If you have a soldering iron, replace the LEDs with bright ones. They are cheap and are rated by brightness. Only two leads to swap. I did it on my ts-9s and it makes a huge difference. Night and day you could say.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on August 10, 2013, 09:32:22 AM
If you have a soldering iron, replace the LEDs with bright ones. They are cheap and are rated by brightness. Only two leads to swap. I did it on my ts-9s and it makes a huge difference. Night and day you could say.

Good suggestion too, but then they might hurt your eyes when playing in doors ;)
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

I put some white painters/masking tape over them, it make enough of a difference I guess. The tuner is the worst though!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

sour d

I use the bright blue l.e.d's when I mod pedals. In a dark bar you can see the knob settings.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe