Speaker cab suggestion

Started by fulltone1989, September 06, 2013, 12:59:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hey all,

Found a head shell for my Soul O on ebay so I am on the hunt for a decent cab that I can use and keep at the jam spot/house. Hoping for a 1-12" as I have a Eminence RWB that I was planning on putting in. What are some solid cabinets? Wide body,narrow, Hard Truckers styles are all cool with me.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

sour d

I know AO built a beautiful 2x12 for Walker.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Deadicated Phan

Check out SSP cabs. They make awesome hard trucker style cabs that are a fraction of the price of an actual one
RMC 3>Whammy 4>AM ts-9 Brown>Maxon OD808>GCX--Mutron 3+>Boss Octave>DOD 250+>Phase 100>DM2000>Microverb 1>Boomerang+

Guitar: PRS Hollowbody II, Fender American Strat w/ Custom Shop Fat 50s
Amp: 1965 Fender Deluxe Amp, 1972 Blackfaced Twin Reverb
Cabs: Deluxe w/ Celestial Gold, Twin w/ stock speakers, Marshall 4x12 w/ Emi. Red, White, and Blues, Hard Truckers JG-1 w/ JBL K120 (looking for another speaker to go with it)

Heady Jam Fan

Over the summer I owned both an Avatar 212 and a Mesa Boogie 112.

The Avatar is good for the price and they can be found used all over the place (loaded or unloaded).
With 2 G12H30-55's it was $280 shipped from GC in Cali, sold the speakers for $220, the cab cost me $60.

The Boogie is on another level. Even though its compact, better dispersion of sound. You can find them used, but will pay a pretty penny.
With an EVM12L it cost me $350 shipped.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Thanks for the suggestion. I scored a Weber California in a DRRI cab from work to check out, but the Mesa's are definitely on my list. I dunno about the EV speaker though, never tried one.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on September 08, 2013, 12:27:39 AM
Thanks for the suggestion. I scored a Weber California in a DRRI cab from work to check out, but the Mesa's are definitely on my list. I dunno about the EV speaker though, never tried one.

I love how articulate the EV is, but I also prefer a more midrange-focused speaker with most amps. I like the EV with my Mesa because I can dial the bass so low using the Mesa's GEQ, otherwise I would still be using V30's in a 212.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 08, 2013, 10:25:39 AM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on September 08, 2013, 12:27:39 AM

I love how articulate the EV is, but I also prefer a more midrange-focused speaker with most amps. I like the EV with my Mesa because I can dial the bass so low using the Mesa's GEQ, otherwise I would still be using V30's in a 212.

Would you say that the EV isn't as mid-focused? I'm a big speaker noob btw. I've only tried the Cannabis Rex, which was awesome - I just wish they made a 75 or 80 watt version for my amp. I've only heard that the EV is a heavy speaker (magnet I think) but that's about it. There are only MC-90'd and Vintage 30's in the Mesa cabs at my work, or I'd definitely try one and would probably love it. I'd probably have to call GC and have them open the back of the cabinet, but knowing the GC staff they'd use the wrong screwdriver.. That's a great deal though! The Weber California and DRRI cab is free to check out, so if I can buy it cheaply enough I may just hold onto it for keeping at the practice spot so I can just truck my head and board back and forth. I should probably go try out the Weber some more though! The Emi RWB I got is still breaking in, got some 90's Dead blasting through it now for some mojo. Here's a pic of the cab, I think you guys will like it, spot the face!

Heady Jam Fan

The EV is the most balanced speaker out there - not scooped, not 'fat.'

Its heavy as shit, about 25lbs while an H magnet Celestion I think is around 9lbs. But I don't know if its possible to get an EV sound without the big magnet and heavy duty cast frame rather than a flimsy pressed basket.

EV's often get compared to JBL's, sometimes Fanes and Altecs. They were originally drivers for PA systems. They won't distort.

People love the RWB - I've never used one. I thought the Swamp Thang was kinda similar sounding to the C Rex, but a bit more aggressive and higher power handling.

You can't go wrong with a Mesa cab with a V30 or C90 - definitely try those! A 212 with one of each would sound killer too.

Walker done done

If you want pics of the AO 2x12 let me know, it's an incredible cabinet, sounds amazing.

Actually I should post pics anyways, I'm lagging behind on updated gear pics.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.