Can anyone recommend a new amp?

Started by No Nice Guy, September 10, 2013, 03:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

I've had a Blues Jr for a while, and I really like it, but it doesn't have some things I'd kinda like to have in an amp, such as:

A lead channel that doesn't blow (the 'fat' channel leaves a lot to be desired, IMO)

A footswitchable reverb (not extremely important, but preferable)

Those are the only two I could recall off the top of my head (had a whole list coming in...), but anyhoo, I'm trying to find a small (1x12 at most) combo amp, or an am head that'd work for this.  I was looking at Blackstar's HT-5, the Egnater Tweaker, and the Bugera V22.  Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, etc?  I'm thinking a max budget range of $500-600, wouldn't mind going used. 
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Deadicated Phan

I was playing through a Mesa Express over the weekend. Cant remember exactly which one, but it was a 1x12 and sounded real nice.
RMC 3>Whammy 4>AM ts-9 Brown>Maxon OD808>GCX--Mutron 3+>Boss Octave>DOD 250+>Phase 100>DM2000>Microverb 1>Boomerang+

Guitar: PRS Hollowbody II, Fender American Strat w/ Custom Shop Fat 50s
Amp: 1965 Fender Deluxe Amp, 1972 Blackfaced Twin Reverb
Cabs: Deluxe w/ Celestial Gold, Twin w/ stock speakers, Marshall 4x12 w/ Emi. Red, White, and Blues, Hard Truckers JG-1 w/ JBL K120 (looking for another speaker to go with it)

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Deadicated Phan on September 10, 2013, 04:39:39 PM
I was playing through a Mesa Express over the weekend. Cant remember exactly which one, but it was a 1x12 and sounded real nice.

Aye, sadly them's a bit out of my price range at the moment.

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

fulltone1989

For your price range, the Egnator Tweakers are the way to go.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

ColForbin

Quote from: No Nice Guy on September 10, 2013, 03:29:48 PM

Those are the only two I could recall off the top of my head (had a whole list coming in...), but anyhoo, I'm trying to find a small (1x12 at most) combo amp, or an am head that'd work for this.  I was looking at Blackstar's HT-5, the Egnater Tweaker, and the Bugera V22.  Anyone have any thoughts, opinions, etc?  I'm thinking a max budget range of $500-600, wouldn't mind going used. 

The Tweaker is cool, Traynor has a very comparable version, the YGL1.  15 watts, all tube, really nice drive channel.  Footswitchable reverb and 6db boost.  Three band eq and a switch that does three modes.  The modes are USA, Pure, and Brit.  I renting one for the month and loved it.  I liked it a lot better than the tweaker and it was cheaper.  Comes stock with a 12" Celestion Greenback and has external speaker output.  I had a Bugera head.  Played one show with it, and took it back.  Never tried a Blackstar before, but that's my two cents.  If I were buying right now, it would be the Traynor, and it's made in Canada, which being one, makes it extra nice for this guy.  I think it's worth checking out.

http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ygl/product/ygl1/
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Heady Jam Fan

Rather than using the Fat Switch for leads, which probably has way too much bass, maybe an EQ pedal that attenuates bass and boosts everything else would do the trick?

And not to sound like a broken record talking about Mesa, but:
A Mesa MKIII head *might* be found for $600. I got my combo for $800.
I rarely use the footswitch currently, but IIRC, it lets you switch between R1 Clean, R2 Dirty and Lead Channels, Reverb On/Off, GEQ On/Off.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 11, 2013, 10:58:40 AM
Rather than using the Fat Switch for leads, which probably has way too much bass, maybe an EQ pedal that attenuates bass and boosts everything else would do the trick?

I rarely use the footswitch currently, but IIRC, it lets you switch between R1 Clean, R2 Dirty and Lead Channels, Reverb On/Off, GEQ On/Off.

There's one on the GC used sight for $599 IIRC. No picture though.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

No Nice Guy

Quote from: fulltone1989 on September 11, 2013, 05:29:07 PM

Man, all the Mark III's I find are $1000 and up.  I looked on GC's site but didn't find anything, I'll go look harder

No Nice Guy

Quote from: ColForbin on September 11, 2013, 10:45:08 AM
Quote from: No Nice Guy on September 10, 2013, 03:29:48 PM

The Tweaker is cool, Traynor has a very comparable version, the YGL1.  15 watts, all tube, really nice drive channel.  Footswitchable reverb and 6db boost.  Three band eq and a switch that does three modes.  The modes are USA, Pure, and Brit.  I renting one for the month and loved it.  I liked it a lot better than the tweaker and it was cheaper.  Comes stock with a 12" Celestion Greenback and has external speaker output.  I had a Bugera head.  Played one show with it, and took it back.  Never tried a Blackstar before, but that's my two cents.  If I were buying right now, it would be the Traynor, and it's made in Canada, which being one, makes it extra nice for this guy.  I think it's worth checking out.

http://traynoramps.com/guitar/ygl/product/ygl1/

That does look really nice...  I'll add it to the list of things.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: No Nice Guy on September 11, 2013, 10:49:14 PM
Quote from: fulltone1989 on September 11, 2013, 05:29:07 PM

Man, all the Mark III's I find are $1000 and up.  I looked on GC's site but didn't find anything, I'll go look harder

Really? Thats a bit steep (not for the quality, but the market). There is an MKII locally thats listed for $700, but it doesn't have a GEQ (GEQ is clutch IMO).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

http://used.guitarcenter.com/usedgear/index.cfm?page=5&srch&category=41&q=mark&distance=100&sort=0&dir=desc

Page 5, middle of the page.

No GEQ but it's there. If I was in the market i'd definitely call.

We have a 1x12 that's $1,100 with all the bells and whistles and is super clean.

No Nice Guy

Anyone know anything about the Peavy Delta Blues?  I like how it sounds, but can't find information on other things (longevity, fragility, weight, etc).  Anyone know if it's good, or if I should think about something else instead.

Right now it's either that, a Classic 30, Princeton Reverb, or Egnater.

Poster

Quote from: No Nice Guy on February 26, 2014, 04:28:56 PM
Anyone know anything about the Peavy Delta Blues?  I like how it sounds, but can't find information on other things (longevity, fragility, weight, etc).  Anyone know if it's good, or if I should think about something else instead.

Right now it's either that, a Classic 30, Princeton Reverb, or Egnater.

I bought a 15" delta combo from guitar center maybe 5 years ago. It sounded pretty fantastic actually. However, I brought it home, plugged in the guitar > ross > amp and smoke came out of the rear vents. Its my second only, Holy Shit that amp is on fire moment. So yeah, maybe have a tech go over it first? The Classic 30's 50's are great amps. If you buy one, change out the preamp tubes, and get a tube tamer or something to brace um to prevent tube rattle. With a speaker swap your getting into arguably the best sounding cheap tube amp you can get. Decent reverb too.

No Nice Guy

Well, decided I'm gonna go for a Hot Rod Deluxe, I played one in the store and it seemed right.

Also I'm doing a complete overhaul of my rig soon, it'll be fun.

TheSeeker

Quote from: No Nice Guy on March 01, 2014, 05:47:59 PM
Well, decided I'm gonna go for a Hot Rod Deluxe, I played one in the store and it seemed right.

Also I'm doing a complete overhaul of my rig soon, it'll be fun.

Man, I just sold mine!!!  I had a Weber Blue Dog in it and it sounded awesome!!  It just turned out to be too loud for my apartment, so I'm seeking amplification elsewhere.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)