Can anyone recommend a new amp?

Started by No Nice Guy, September 10, 2013, 03:29:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

Quote from: TheSeeker on March 01, 2014, 07:24:37 PM
Quote from: No Nice Guy on March 01, 2014, 05:47:59 PM
Well, decided I'm gonna go for a Hot Rod Deluxe, I played one in the store and it seemed right.

Also I'm doing a complete overhaul of my rig soon, it'll be fun.

Man, I just sold mine!!!  I had a Weber Blue Dog in it and it sounded awesome!!  It just turned out to be too loud for my apartment, so I'm seeking amplification elsewhere.

Does the power amp in/preamp out work as an effects loop?  If so, I'm about to get one.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Buffered

Quote from: No Nice Guy on March 02, 2014, 05:17:19 PM
Quote from: TheSeeker on March 01, 2014, 07:24:37 PM
Quote from: No Nice Guy on March 01, 2014, 05:47:59 PM
Well, decided I'm gonna go for a Hot Rod Deluxe, I played one in the store and it seemed right.

Also I'm doing a complete overhaul of my rig soon, it'll be fun.

Man, I just sold mine!!!  I had a Weber Blue Dog in it and it sounded awesome!!  It just turned out to be too loud for my apartment, so I'm seeking amplification elsewhere.

Does the power amp in/preamp out work as an effects loop?  If so, I'm about to get one.

Yes, it also allows the hotrods preamp to be sent to a SS power amp or something like that.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

No Nice Guy

So I ended up coming home with an AC15 instead of the HRD...  Loved it that much more...

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

express50express

Curious, if you think it is a keeper or not. I'm thinking about getting an AC15 also. Looking for something that can be a bedroom amp. Any feedback you can provide would be great!

Thanks

No Nice Guy

Quote from: express50express on March 06, 2014, 12:53:14 PM
Curious, if you think it is a keeper or not. I'm thinking about getting an AC15 also. Looking for something that can be a bedroom amp. Any feedback you can provide would be great!

Thanks

I haven't truly had time to play with it yet, so give me a couple days to try and really dial it in.  Here's my quick observations thus far:

*  You can't footswitch the drive channel annoyingly (and they only have one vol knob, so even an A/B box isn't the best fix)

*  The tremolo is awesome (of course, a few days after I buy a pedal for that I find this)

*  I wish it had an effects loop but I can live with it

*  I wish I could footswitch the drive channel (I think it's a slightly older one so this may be 'fixed' in the newer models)

*  Footswitching the reverb and tremolo is genius.

Those are the comments from ~20 min of incredibly low volume playing this morning.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: No Nice Guy on March 06, 2014, 01:37:17 PM
Quote from: express50express on March 06, 2014, 12:53:14 PM

Thanks

I haven't truly had time to play with it yet, so give me a couple days to try and really dial it in.  Here's my quick observations thus far:

*  You can't footswitch the drive channel annoyingly (and they only have one vol knob, so even an A/B box isn't the best fix)

*  The tremolo is awesome (of course, a few days after I buy a pedal for that I find this)

*  I wish it had an effects loop but I can live with it

*  I wish I could footswitch the drive channel (I think it's a slightly older one so this may be 'fixed' in the newer models)

*  Footswitching the reverb and tremolo is genius.

Those are the comments from ~20 min of incredibly low volume playing this morning.

Here's the big downsides:

*  I miss having an EQ

*  The thing breaks up pretty easily and stays quiet a lot better than a Blues Jr

*  The weight (48.8 lbs for a 1x12, what the hell is that?)