Blues Jr Reverb Tank

Started by No Nice Guy, October 14, 2013, 07:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

So the reverb on my Blues Jr busted, and I haven't a damned clue what's wrong with it.  I left it off and under my bed like normal, and when I turned it on, the reverb didn't work.  I tried doing the classic 'unplug it, replug it' stuff, but that didn't help.  I'm too much of a wuss to go take it out because I keep hearing about how the caps in tube amps can kill you. If you wanna tell me what might be the problem, where I could find a replacement, or how irrational my fear is, please help me out.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Happyorange27

It's probably super easy. Look at the RCA plugs that go into the reverb tank. Red and black. Make sure they are truly pushed in. This is all accessible from the bottom of the amp without taking off the cover. If that doesn't work, message me.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Happyorange27 on October 14, 2013, 08:18:00 PM
It's probably super easy. Look at the RCA plugs that go into the reverb tank. Red and black. Make sure they are truly pushed in. This is all accessible from the bottom of the amp without taking off the cover. If that doesn't work, message me.

Tried it a lot of times.  I'll probably just man up when I get some time and just take the thing apart, snap some pictures.  Maybe that'll do something.

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Happyorange27

Do you have any other reverb tank available on another amp?  If so try to patch into that one. Probably might not be possible but thought I would try.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Happyorange27 on October 14, 2013, 10:49:47 PM
Do you have any other reverb tank available on another amp?  If so try to patch into that one. Probably might not be possible but thought I would try.

It's the only amp I got.  Worse comes to worse I'll buy a new one.

Happyorange27

Pull that black wire from the reverb tank, turn your volume up half way and then touch the black wire with your finger.  You won't get hurt.  If you can hear a crackle or pop when you touch the black wire, then something is at or before the tank.

IamWILSON

Just a thought that perhaps one of your 12ax7's has gone bad?  Do you have an extra you can try switching into each position, one at a time, and test each time to see if the reverb is working.  If that's the case, it is probably the 2nd or 3rd tube.  Or even just check and see if one of them has come loose, since you store the amp under your bed.
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

No Nice Guy

Quote from: IamWILSON on October 16, 2013, 02:53:46 AM
Just a thought that perhaps one of your 12ax7's has gone bad?  Do you have an extra you can try switching into each position, one at a time, and test each time to see if the reverb is working.  If that's the case, it is probably the 2nd or 3rd tube.  Or even just check and see if one of them has come loose, since you store the amp under your bed.

I switched the 3 I got around and nothing, but I appreciate the suggestion.  I'm about to sell the thing so I'm not trying to get too expensive with the fix.

Happyorange27

Good try Wilson, however the BJ reverb loop is powered by transistors; not tubes.  Same with the rectifier; it's solid state.  Just wanted to inform.
Nice Guy, try this is you dare.  Take the back cover off (like 6 screws) and just follow the reverb tank wire and see if they are still both fixed to the pcb board.  Maybe you accidentally tugged on those wires and one came loose.  You can just gently tug on the wires while the amp is on.  Or get a wooden chopstick and poke carefully at those solder joints.  I know that might be scary for you but if you just keep both hands away from actually touching any component, you should be fine.  Let me know. 

Also if you are going to sell the damn thing, keep me posted. 

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Happyorange27 on October 16, 2013, 08:02:22 AM
Good try Wilson, however the BJ reverb loop is powered by transistors; not tubes.  Same with the rectifier; it's solid state.  Just wanted to inform.
Nice Guy, try this is you dare.  Take the back cover off (like 6 screws) and just follow the reverb tank wire and see if they are still both fixed to the pcb board.  Maybe you accidentally tugged on those wires and one came loose.  You can just gently tug on the wires while the amp is on.  Or get a wooden chopstick and poke carefully at those solder joints.  I know that might be scary for you but if you just keep both hands away from actually touching any component, you should be fine.  Let me know. 

Yeah, I'll probably just do that.  I've been pretty busy the past week, will get around to it in a day or two.  I'll let ya'll know how it goes. 

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Happyorange27 on October 16, 2013, 08:02:22 AM

So I went in, solder joints are fine and it crackled when I tapped the RCA wire, it crackled.  I'm gonna try and take the tank out in a couple days when my hands aren't numb and I have time.

Happyorange27

No Nice Guy

So i opened the thing up and didn't see any problems...  I thing I may just buy a new one.

http://imgur.com/ZKmJluV,ueVNPT9,Qs7lbhs,Ko6M0cv,Q25XysI,5d9Kuvd,uORXyF6

There's what it looked like, in case I missed anything.

Happyorange27

Yeah I hope a new tank works. I heard Ruby Red tanks are good. Research it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

No Nice Guy