Main Menu

Muffs

Started by No Nice Guy, November 12, 2013, 03:12:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

Anyone have opinions on them?  I have no idea why, but recently I've been just GASING for one.  I tried a clone of it at a buddy's place and loved it.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Heady Jam Fan

I've owned several fuzz pedals and generally prefer fuzz face circuits to muff because they clean up better and are reminiscent of earlier Gilmour leads I like more (tonally), as well as Hendrix. But most fuzz circuits are midrange scooped which could be problematic if you have other instruments in the same register in your band. I thought Skreddy fuzz pedals were incredible though, especially the lunar module for a fuzz face. The pig mine was cool for a muff. The p19 looks sweet if you want mids. In the end, my cheap old rat does the trick with less drawbacks than a muff.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

TheSeeker

Quote from: No Nice Guy on November 12, 2013, 03:12:25 AM
Anyone have opinions on them?  I have no idea why, but recently I've been just GASING for one.  I tried a clone of it at a buddy's place and loved it.

Funny you should mention it...I've got a green Russian Muff clone by Arc Effects on it's way to me now.  Heady is right...the Skreddy line kicks ass!!  The P19 is reminiscent of The Wall era, and the Lunar Module is reminiscent of Darkside, Pompeii, etc.  I really like the sound of the Green russian muff though.  It's kind of an in between.  Also, the byoc large beaver is a really good clone.  I actually just finished building it myself.  I screwed up on the transistor placement, so I had to wait for new transistors in the mail.  I put them in backwards, and when I tried to pull them out the legs snapped off.  All is well in fuzz heaven though.  I did the Rams Head version...I'll probably get another one and do the Triangle version.  I might get one of the ESV fuzzes from them.  One with the bc108 and one with the bc109.  They'll be my four horsemen.  What kind of sound are you looking to get?  This is a little off the subject, but I just got a Catalinbread Echorec in the mail....Whoa!!  That thing sounds amazing!!  Great Binson tape echo clone...one of the few.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

fulltone1989

They're great but watch out for hairballs.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.