Amp shopping again...

Started by fulltone1989, November 19, 2013, 03:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Hi all,

Digging the Groove Tubes Soul-O but I have to build my credit up so what better excuse than to buy an amp?! It's 6L6 based 45-55 watts that barely breaks up. Should I go for something similar, or a totally different animal? Thing is I really dig that power tube setup after trying different options. I'd like to keep it below $1000 if possible. What do you guys think? I'm still lusting after a MKIII again, and I'd go the head route but I dunno if it'd be suitable for home playing. I can get an express + for just above my budget so that's an option too. I like the 5:50+ but I mainly play clean w/ sustain (Think Max Creek) so the lead channel would be a little unnecessary but nice to have if need be. What do you guys think?
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

fulltone1989

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

No Nice Guy

I hear great things about the Egnater Rebel - lets you control the tube mix and wattage, looks nice. 

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Rebel/Rebel20/Rebel20Head.html

And of course there's their Tweaker, which I'm pretty sure can do a lot of shit:

http://www.egnateramps.com/EgnaterProducts/Tweaker/TweakerSelector.html

Lastly, someone I know swears by this amp - I haven't gotten to try it, but it's apparently pretty good:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/amplifiers-effects/jet-city-amplification-jca2212c-20w-1x12-tube-guitar-combo-amp
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

fulltone1989

Thanks for the tips! I tried the Tweaker and like it a lot, but I want to put my money into something either handwired or super build quality.

Hoody

I went through this process last year, and I ended up going with the Boogie Express.  I tried the Deluxe Reverb, a Mark III, Mark II, Hot Rod Deluxe, etc.  Found the express to be the best in terms of (a) options, (b) simplicity, and (c) tone.  There are a good deal of bells and whistles, but you can also cut it back by removing the equalizer, and the amp sounds incredible.  Really smooth, almost has a compressed tone.  Sounds incredible with big open major chords, and the clean channel can really sing for solos if you crank up the drive channel. 

The amp is also great for playing at lower volumes.  I love the ability to select b/t 5, 15, 25 watts.  Makes it very versatile, and 25 watts is very, very loud.

I did a lot of homework, and really love this amp.  I run it w/ a Languedoc, and the combo is really smooth and nice.  you want a very transparent amp to get all your guitar sound, and this amp does that well if set up right.

The manual is also great b/c it gives you lots of suggested settings, all sound great.

What else are you looking at?

fulltone1989

Quote from: Hoody on November 20, 2013, 04:00:48 PM
I went through this process last year, and I ended up going with the Boogie Express.  I tried the Deluxe Reverb, a Mark III, Mark II, Hot Rod Deluxe, etc.  Found the express to be the best in terms of (a) options, (b) simplicity, and (c) tone.  There are a good deal of bells and whistles, but you can also cut it back by removing the equalizer, and the amp sounds incredible.  Really smooth, almost has a compressed tone.  Sounds incredible with big open major chords, and the clean channel can really sing for solos if you crank up the drive channel. 

The amp is also great for playing at lower volumes.  I love the ability to select b/t 5, 15, 25 watts.  Makes it very versatile, and 25 watts is very, very loud.

I did a lot of homework, and really love this amp.  I run it w/ a Languedoc, and the combo is really smooth and nice.  you want a very transparent amp to get all your guitar sound, and this amp does that well if set up right.

The manual is also great b/c it gives you lots of suggested settings, all sound great.

What else are you looking at?

Haha that's so funny as I was seriously considering a 5:50+ mainly because of the selectable wattages and how it'd be perfect for home usage. Did you try the 5:50+ too?

tsbot

You should also look at the Mesa Lonestar Classic - I hear it's a great amp as well - YouTube 'The Lawn Boys' I've talked to the guitarist and he uses that 1x12 and loves it - not sure of price though.

Fwiw - I had a Mesa 5:25 and hated it - always tinkering with it and it seemed it sound one way then the next completely different without changing any settings - I actually googled it and others felt the same way haha!

I saw the 5:50+ was like $1,400 or so - I'd seriously check out the Vintage Sound Amps - he does a 20w version too - they are all point to point hand wired, modded anyway you want and are super articulate, sweet sustaining, good home volume (can keep up w drummer too) amps! You may find one in your budget. 

Humbucker Music online is a GREAT place for handwired/Botique amps too!

fulltone1989

Quote from: tsbot on November 21, 2013, 12:39:32 AM
You should also look at the Mesa Lonestar Classic - I hear it's a great amp as well - YouTube 'The Lawn Boys' I've talked to the guitarist and he uses that 1x12 and loves it - not sure of price though.

Fwiw - I had a Mesa 5:25 and hated it - always tinkering with it and it seemed it sound one way then the next completely different without changing any settings - I actually googled it and others felt the same way haha!

I saw the 5:50+ was like $1,400 or so - I'd seriously check out the Vintage Sound Amps - he does a 20w version too - they are all point to point hand wired, modded anyway you want and are super articulate, sweet sustaining, good home volume (can keep up w drummer too) amps! You may find one in your budget. 

Humbucker Music online is a GREAT place for handwired/Botique amps too!

I've seen the Lawn Boys videos on TGP from before, excellent tones! The LSC I played was great, really fantastic amp all around. I only played around with the clean setting but I like how you can clone it for channel 2 and have two different clean tones. I'd probably set the 5:50+ up for a similar sound. The LSC was $1,949 new IIRC but that one had upgraded grille but I'll have to check how much a regular one is. 

Having the graphic EQ on it seems like a huge upgrade though for tone sculpting. I heard that the new Express +'s took the Lonestar Clean channel, but I have yet to AB them, but from memory they did sound very similar. Another option on the 5:50 I like a lot is that I can select different wattages, 5W for home, 25W for practice and clubs, and 50W for outdoor or if I needed more clean.

I work at a guitar store on Saturday's and we're a Mesa dealer so I'd be able to get into a 5:50 or 25+ for a price within my budget which is a super dealer breaker, same goes for the LSC so I'll have to ABC them but IIRC they only have a Lone Star Special (30W EL34) in stock right now. I'd be ordering one anyways and with the Xmas orders in I wouldn't get it til February or so :(

First world problems.

Hoody

The Express can sound a little brittle or harsh if you don't have it dialed in.  I've found that with a full hollowbody it can be too harsh,  but with a solid body it sounds perfect.  I use a fully hollow, no center block, guitar and it requires me to use almost no treble and to turn up the bass just slightly.  I also use a compressor.  Once you get it set though, I think it sounds perfect.  The clean I get with it is spot on to the 95/96 era of Trey's clean tone.

I have not encountered any issues where it sounds great one day and poor the next.  I've had my settings dialed in for a while and never found it sounded differently.  But maybe I got a "good" one and others didn't, but mine sounds spot on. 

tsbot

Yea it could be the earlier models - I wanted to like it - but the tone never seemed like it would stay put!  Then I googled it and found others had the same issue - could be the 5:25 only too
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/Amps/Mesa-5-25-express-users-tone-control-arghhhhh/td-p/28822735

fulltone1989

Quote from: Hoody on November 22, 2013, 03:09:16 PM
The Express can sound a little brittle or harsh if you don't have it dialed in.  I've found that with a full hollowbody it can be too harsh,  but with a solid body it sounds perfect.  I use a fully hollow, no center block, guitar and it requires me to use almost no treble and to turn up the bass just slightly.  I also use a compressor.  Once you get it set though, I think it sounds perfect.  The clean I get with it is spot on to the 95/96 era of Trey's clean tone.

I have not encountered any issues where it sounds great one day and poor the next.  I've had my settings dialed in for a while and never found it sounded differently.  But maybe I got a "good" one and others didn't, but mine sounds spot on. 

I use both semi hollows and solid bodies. It sounds like it has a ton of tonal options, I'm going to go try the 5:50+ sometime this week!

Heady Jam Fan

I steer clear of the Express Plus line personally.

I also thought it was thin/brittle sounding and I couldn't dial it out. The Mark Series line is so flexible and has a huge range of tones, but the Express, to me, had a more innate flavor - it was shapeable to a degree, but not close to the Mark. Its not a cheaper Mark alternative IMO. I love the Express at the store, but when I got it home, I was frustrated more often than thrilled. The MC90 is probably a better speaker with it than the V30 though - I also liked a Celestion Gold with them.

I agree that the GEQ in the Mesa's are awesome! I've always thought the Lonestar seemed cool, but never tried one because I use the GEQ so much on my MKIII. I've been making pretty wild tweaks on my Mesa and getting very different, but good, sounds. Right now, my GEQ is always on, slanted with the bass low and treble high, and my preamp has the treble really low - I find adding treble after the preamp smooths things out. Wouldn't have that option with most other amps unless it has a good effect loop and tossing an EQ in there.

Since I'm diggin' the 2013 toanz, I kinda want to try an SFDR again with a C90 / CL80 / G12-80 speaker. I never dug the BFDRRI, but I wonder what the SFDRRI is like - seems interesting, but probably not comparable to a non-RI SF Fender...
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

No Nice Guy

Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on November 23, 2013, 12:16:25 PM
I steer clear of the Express Plus line personally.

I also thought it was thin/brittle sounding and I couldn't dial it out. The Mark Series line is so flexible and has a huge range of tones, but the Express, to me, had a more innate flavor - it was shapeable to a degree, but not close to the Mark. Its not a cheaper Mark alternative IMO. I love the Express at the store, but when I got it home, I was frustrated more often than thrilled. The MC90 is probably a better speaker with it than the V30 though - I also liked a Celestion Gold with them.

I agree that the GEQ in the Mesa's are awesome! I've always thought the Lonestar seemed cool, but never tried one because I use the GEQ so much on my MKIII. I've been making pretty wild tweaks on my Mesa and getting very different, but good, sounds. Right now, my GEQ is always on, slanted with the bass low and treble high, and my preamp has the treble really low - I find adding treble after the preamp smooths things out. Wouldn't have that option with most other amps unless it has a good effect loop and tossing an EQ in there.

Since I'm diggin' the 2013 toanz, I kinda want to try an SFDR again with a C90 / CL80 / G12-80 speaker. I never dug the BFDRRI, but I wonder what the SFDRRI is like - seems interesting, but probably not comparable to a non-RI SF Fender...

Hmm, did you experience that issue with the 5:50+? I wish they marketed the 5:50+'s clean channel only. How did you end up using that amp? Recording? One of the big features for me is that I can kick the wattage down a few setting for when I am practicing at home etc.

Heady Jam Fan

I only tried the 5:50+ plus for a bit at the store. I think I preferred the 5:25, but ultimately didn't really consider the 5:50 because I didn't want another 6L6 beast along with my MKIII.

If you only want the clean channel, consider a Lonestar, E-Dyne, MKI reissue, SOB, or MKIII.

Mesa's, IMO, sounds pretty good even quiet. IIRC, I could get my MKIII as quiet as the 5w setting on my 5:25 and the MKIII sounded better. In fact, for months I used my MKIII at quiet bedroom levels mic'ed to headphones - for recording or just practicing, and I improved quite a bit with my mic'ing skills. Remember - a simulclass MKIII has a 15w setting, which is a bit quieter than simulclass.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9