Main Menu

Whammy help!!

Started by tsbot, November 19, 2013, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

Looking to buy a Whammy II - would a different newer whammy be cheaper and just as good?  The II's are going for $300 shipped on eBay. Some in decent shape others not so much.  Any help/opinions appreciated!

fulltone1989

What do you like about the II? I've owned both and while the II is awesome the new one is  much more pedalboard friendly and has a similar feature setup.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

tsbot

Well Trey uses it haha!  And I think I'd like the footswitch instead of knob to scroll through functions.  I haven't looked into them much so I don't even know if trey switches settings on the fly or sticks to one most of the time!  I'm not opposed to either - just best for trey style and nothing super expensive -

What do you think?
Thanks!

fulltone1989

Quote from: tsbot on November 19, 2013, 09:22:10 PM
Well Trey uses it haha!  And I think I'd like the footswitch instead of knob to scroll through functions.  I haven't looked into them much so I don't even know if trey switches settings on the fly or sticks to one most of the time!  I'm not opposed to either - just best for trey style and nothing super expensive -

What do you think?
Thanks!

Trey flips through them, check out some Fall 1998 shows. It's definitely convenient but to be honest I only ever used 2-3 settings tops. If you think about it, a Whammy V plus a Midi Mouse would accomplish the same thing essentially I would think. I liked the II a lot but it crapped out and I had to give $100 for it to be repaired, plus the plastic jacks were a little worrisome in my opinion when I gigged with it. I'd personally go with the V, it's $200 new with True Bypass and DC power and IMHO it can get glitchy like the II. One is 16 bit, and one is 32 bit IIRC
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

tsbot

Cool so the V would be second in line over the II?  Seems like the II is compact if I'm thinking the midi mouse for the V ----buuut..... So would a loop pedal to isolate the II I guess....

fulltone1989

Quote from: tsbot on November 19, 2013, 10:38:42 PM
Cool so the V would be second in line over the II?  Seems like the II is compact if I'm thinking the midi mouse for the V ----buuut..... So would a loop pedal to isolate the II I guess....

A loop pedal would do the same thing. Personally I'd put the II and the V on the same level but I have yet to try a I. You'll get a lot of II love here (it is awesome) but for functionality and durability I would take a V. It does the whale call, funk siren just as nice.

tsbot

Sounds like the V will do everything the II will do (especially if you buy a midi controller for the V) - sound about right? Gonna pull the trigger on one or the other in next day or two....

fulltone1989

Quote from: tsbot on November 20, 2013, 12:41:48 PM
Sounds like the V will do everything the II will do (especially if you buy a midi controller for the V) - sound about right? Gonna pull the trigger on one or the other in next day or two....

For my uses it did. The II would hold it's value more if you decide to sell it.

tsbot

Thanks for all your help!  I'll let you know how it works out - and you can school me on treys settings if you don't mind

No Nice Guy

Quote from: tsbot on November 20, 2013, 01:21:20 PM
and you can school me on treys settings if you don't mind

He mainly uses two settings:

The first is the 'whale call', which is down a 2nd (or, down a whole step/tone).  The second is 'funk siren', which is up an octave (or two!)
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

tsbot

What about jamming solos?  He uses it a lot - what settings
I talked with a guy on eBay seems to have a decent II with power for $300 shipped next day
Local guitar shop has the V for $199 (I think)...
If money wasn't a huge deal which would you go for?
Btw I'd get a loop pedal to bypass the II at some point as well...
Too many options!

fulltone1989

That price is a little high. I got my II for $200 w/ a True Bypass mod on it and adapter. It was in decent shape for a more than 20 year old pedal, mine was built in 1993 IIRC (original owner bought it new then.)

No Nice Guy is right on it, a delay with long trails helps you capture the siren into a looper but it isn't necessary. I have a youtube video if that helps. I used a TC Flashback.

Another thing I did with the band when I had the II and the V was use the split octave setting and have my Proton on before it. NOW THAT was funky.

I'd do the V though, $300 is kind of high and it's a crap-shoot as that pedal may not even work when it shows up and it was a pain in the ass to get mine fixed. With the V at least you may get a warranty.

All this Whammy talk is giving me GAS... need an amp first must keep telling myself that.

tsbot

Cool thanks - I just got a Vintage Sound Amp Vintage 22 - has mid pot installed and 1st channel modded a bit hotter - sweetest amp I've owned - you should check it out! ( I've owned twins, mark III red stripe - which was also nice but too much amp for home - and lots of fenders)!

fulltone1989

Quote from: tsbot on November 20, 2013, 04:19:35 PM
Cool thanks - I just got a Vintage Sound Amp Vintage 22 - has mid pot installed and 1st channel modded a bit hotter - sweetest amp I've owned - you should check it out! ( I've owned twins, mark III red stripe - which was also nice but too much amp for home - and lots of fenders)!

Nice!! I've heard one at a shop and it was very nice. I'm leaning towards a 5:50+ seems like right in my budget.

tsbot

Ok - well I got the Whammy V at the local guitar store (30 day return) and I don't know what settings I would use that Trey uses on his II..

any help appreciated, because as of right now I sound like complete shit with it and am thinking a different pedal may be more fun haha!