Main Menu

Whammy help!!

Started by tsbot, November 19, 2013, 07:46:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fulltone1989

Quote from: tsbot on November 21, 2013, 08:44:06 PM
Ok - well I got the Whammy V at the local guitar store (30 day return) and I don't know what settings I would use that Trey uses on his II..

any help appreciated, because as of right now I sound like complete shit with it and am thinking a different pedal may be more fun haha!

For the Whale Call, put the treadle heel down, pluck a note, and right after glide to toe down. Try and coordinate it as close together as possible. My favorite is a Major 3rd of a scale from a minor for the whale sound.

For the Funk Siren - check out this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNMBc0GhkwQ
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

fulltone1989

Very nice choice by the way! Most creative pedal IMHO as far as riffs and weird sounds go. I used it for a bass when I'd jam along to jazz standards.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

tsbot

Thanks fulltone!  I'll give it a shot! 

fulltone1989

Quote from: tsbot on November 21, 2013, 09:52:23 PM
Thanks fulltone!  I'll give it a shot! 

Sounds great Lemme know if that video helped at all haha I made it a few years ago.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: tsbot on November 21, 2013, 08:44:06 PM
Ok - well I got the Whammy V at the local guitar store (30 day return) and I don't know what settings I would use that Trey uses on his II..

any help appreciated, because as of right now I sound like complete shit with it and am thinking a different pedal may be more fun haha!

Trey mainly uses the 'whale call' (down a 2nd - to hear some good use of it listen to the version of Steam from SPAC this past summer (7/5/2013)) and the 'funk siren' (up 1 or 2 octaves - mess with it going up and down a bit (especially if you got a looper) and it'll sound familiar quickly).  My favorite settings are down an octave (combine it with a compressor and you get a good bass-type sound - great for loops), up 2 octaves (fun fun fun), Dive Bomb/down 3 octaves (I use this when playing with my bass synth mainly, you get the strangest sounds - also add some distortion and it sounds like thunder), both detunes (the 'deep' sounds ugly until you find some good progressions - 'shallow' sounds dope), and the top two harmonizers (I think up 4 > up 5 and down octave > up octave).  Play with it a bit, you'll figure it out.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

tsbot

Where in the signal chain(if you don't have a loop pedal yet) does the whammy go best?

Happyorange27

Make it your first pedal for best tracking.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

tsbot

Thanks I'll give it a try! Just picked up a whammy II - so now I can a/b both the II and V!