Digitech Whammy Power Converter

Started by fluffhead4020, December 22, 2013, 01:03:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffhead4020

Does anyone that use a Whammy know if this converter ( http://www.amazon.com/Visual-Sound-CL6-Converter-Line-6/dp/B0040PZ4KW ) would work to power the pedal from a regular 9v DC? According to 1 spot's website it powers Digitech pedals, but after some google searches, no one has mentioned this as a solution to the "digitech whammy powering problem."

No Nice Guy

I can't say for sure.  I have a Whammy V, and it won't turn on with my pedalboard's power supply, so I need to use the one that came with it.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

IamWILSON

I wouldn't try that.  The Whammy (or at least the Whammy II) runs on AC power.  That converter is for DC powered pedals like the standard size pedals that Boss and Ibanez pedals make; or in other words pedals that can be powered by a 9v battery.  Alot of those bigger pedals run on different power, in my experience, mostly AC. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

fulltone1989

Quote from: No Nice Guy on December 22, 2013, 10:40:24 PM
I can't say for sure.  I have a Whammy V, and it won't turn on with my pedalboard's power supply, so I need to use the one that came with it.

Did you check the mA draw on your PSU? As long as the voltage is correct and the Ma draw of the adapter exceeds that of the pedal you should be in good shape for whatever you are powering. Do you not have the factory one?

Every one but the V is AC.
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: fulltone1989 on December 23, 2013, 08:37:12 AM

Did you check the mA draw on your PSU? As long as the voltage is correct and the Ma draw of the adapter exceeds that of the pedal you should be in good shape for whatever you are powering. Do you not have the factory one?

My pedalboard's PSU has 100 MA of power per outlet, which is the same as the Whammy.  I don't know the problem, but it gives me room for my phase shifter in the power supply while I use an outlet, so I'm not complaining.

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

fluffhead4020

Thanks for the responses, guys. Just to clarify, I'm using a Whammy I, and the one-spot adapter I linked in first post is said to power the digitech rp100--which I'm pretty sure, according to guitar center, uses 9v AC. So since my whammy is AC I take it that this would work?

I'm responding on my mobile phone right now, so I don't have my whammy, but if I remember the mA is 700-750(somewhere in that range). I don't know enough about what that means to interpret it other than matching it up with something else that is 700-750 mA.

-thanks

fulltone1989

Quote from: No Nice Guy on December 23, 2013, 03:20:11 PM

My pedalboard's PSU has 100 MA of power per outlet, which is the same as the Whammy.  I don't know the problem, but it gives me room for my phase shifter in the power supply while I use an outlet, so I'm not complaining.

That's strange, is it a PP2+ or the reg? IDK much of a difference between the too but it was designed to work off the PP2+. Did you try all the outlets? They have difference power options.

The high Ma sounds right, especially since it's an older digital effect. I don't think that adapter would work, my best bet would be to check out an online transformer company and have them sell you a 9V AC with 750ma if possible. I'm not power expert but I think you can try to power an AC unit with DC and it won't fry, but powering a DC with an AC will definitely fry the unit. Some dude on TGP did that to his Klon (the expensive one)
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: fulltone1989 on December 26, 2013, 09:11:26 AM
Quote from: No Nice Guy on December 23, 2013, 03:20:11 PM

It's the SKB PS45 (the pedalboard with a power supply when you buy it).  I tried most of the outlets, none of them worked.  I'm fine with plugging it in with the adapter it came with, as I say, now I can use my Phase Shifter without getting a new power supply/adapter.

That's strange, is it a PP2+ or the reg? IDK much of a difference between the too but it was designed to work off the PP2+. Did you try all the outlets? They have difference power options.

The high Ma sounds right, especially since it's an older digital effect. I don't think that adapter would work, my best bet would be to check out an online transformer company and have them sell you a 9V AC with 750ma if possible. I'm not power expert but I think you can try to power an AC unit with DC and it won't fry, but powering a DC with an AC will definitely fry the unit. Some dude on TGP did that to his Klon (the expensive one)