oh my NAD (Now w/ Mods)

Started by Heady Jam Fan, January 03, 2014, 10:34:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

QuoteSee below - mods added

Minty '74.
Pretty much original except a few changes such as the green lamp.

I also have an '81 Ibanez PQ9 on the way for a lead boost. I found the Boss PQ4 added a smoothness that my MXR 6-Band doesn't have - its an 'artifact' and the MXR is clearer, but I prefer the thickness of the PQ4 and I think the PQ9 is the same circuit, but I love Ibanez pedals. I'm gonna put the PQ9 in the same loop (of my TB loop switcher) as my AD9.

Oh, and I'm gonna sell that Celestion/Marshall G12M70 and put in a Celestion Classic Lead 80 later this week. The amp sounded great through a Celestion Gold too.

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Happy New Amp day! I thought you had one about 6-8 months ago?

My NAD is currently en route  ;D
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on January 03, 2014, 11:13:13 AM

Thanks!

Your right!

Over the summer I had an SFTR in a headshell. I wanted more midrange though; the 6L6's had a broader frequency range than I needed, especially in the bass, which also meant the amp had way too much bass with my EVM12L (which I have in a 112 cab). I had just sold a 212 w/ V30's about 6 months prior and didn't want to go back to a 212. I found a buyer for the amp pretty easily.

Just before I had the SFTR, I actually had a different SFDR. It had a lot of mods: trem disconnect, V1 pulled, Celestion Gold Clone, midrange knob, bright cap removed. It also had an issue where the cabinet would vibrate when turned up past 3. I was going to get the cab fixed, but some German dude offered me a lot more than I paid if I would ship the amp to him (and he knew about the cab vibrations), so I sold it. Fortunately when I was buying this new amp, the seller cranked it up to about 7 and not only was the overdrive glorious, but the cabinet is very sturdy.

I've been using my MKIII with EL34's and the EVM12L in the 112 and loving it, but missing a grab-n-go combo setup, Fender reverb, simplicity (I keep tweaking the Mesa as much as just playing, lol). I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford keeping both the Mesa and the Fender in the long run.

What NADs are you looking forward to in the near future?
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 03, 2014, 11:36:58 AM

Thanks!

Your right!

Over the summer I had an SFTR in a headshell. I wanted more midrange though; the 6L6's had a broader frequency range than I needed, especially in the bass, which also meant the amp had way too much bass with my EVM12L (which I have in a 112 cab). I had just sold a 212 w/ V30's about 6 months prior and didn't want to go back to a 212. I found a buyer for the amp pretty easily.

Just before I had the SFTR, I actually had a different SFDR. It had a lot of mods: trem disconnect, V1 pulled, Celestion Gold Clone, midrange knob, bright cap removed. It also had an issue where the cabinet would vibrate when turned up past 3. I was going to get the cab fixed, but some German dude offered me a lot more than I paid if I would ship the amp to him (and he knew about the cab vibrations), so I sold it. Fortunately when I was buying this new amp, the seller cranked it up to about 7 and not only was the overdrive glorious, but the cabinet is very sturdy.

I've been using my MKIII with EL34's and the EVM12L in the 112 and loving it, but missing a grab-n-go combo setup, Fender reverb, simplicity (I keep tweaking the Mesa as much as just playing, lol). I'm not sure if I'll be able to afford keeping both the Mesa and the Fender in the long run.

Cool! Grab and Go's are definitely, well, the way to go. It's always interesting reading your findings and amp insight.

I picked up a Fuchs ODS 50 mod from a Fender hotrod deluxe off TGP a few weeks ago!
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs

Happyorange27

A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on January 03, 2014, 04:08:28 PM

Thanks!

Your right!

Cool! Grab and Go's are definitely, well, the way to go. It's always interesting reading your findings and amp insight.

I picked up a Fuchs ODS 50 mod from a Fender hotrod deluxe off TGP a few weeks ago!

Sweet. I saw a Fuchs ODS listed locally and was really interested in checking it out, but I didn't have cash and hesitated, missing my chance.

Heady Jam Fan

fulltone1989

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 03, 2014, 04:23:26 PM

Thanks!

Your right!

Sweet. I saw a Fuchs ODS listed locally and was really interested in checking it out, but I didn't have cash and hesitated, missing my chance.

Yeah the production ODS' are super pricey, and Fuchs said the mods get "about 80%" of the way there, so I took the plunge. There's a Vintage 30 in there now that I heard was bad for D-Style amps but I'm looking forward to checking it out! It's covered in snakeskin though which will look absurd, but at least it will sound better than it looks.

tsbot

Nice - I was interested in the Fuchs and had a Mesa Mark III  before I got this Vintage Sound Amp Vintage 22  - pretty much a hardwired PTP Deluxe Reverb built by Rick Haynes-  Ch 2 '65 blackface circuit, Ch 1 Higher gain.  It has the Diaz Trem mod, Middle Tone control, and dwell for reverb with a WGS V30 in it!  Stoked to say the least!
Also have a Loop-master 6 switch TB looper and A/B on the way so I can use both channels of the amp!  Happy New year to me hahaha!

And here is my new guitar!  Artinger shipping next week!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on January 03, 2014, 04:41:04 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 03, 2014, 04:23:26 PM

Thanks!

Your right!

Yeah the production ODS' are super pricey, and Fuchs said the mods get "about 80%" of the way there, so I took the plunge. There's a Vintage 30 in there now that I heard was bad for D-Style amps but I'm looking forward to checking it out! It's covered in snakeskin though which will look absurd, but at least it will sound better than it looks.

Oh man, yeah, snakeskin is pretty absurd, but I guess it could be funny.

Not sure why a V30 would be bad with that amp. I love the V30 with Fenders and Mesa's and an ODS is kinda in between IMO. People seem to suggest EVM12Ls, G12-65s, G12H30's or Golds with that kinda amp though if I remember correctly.

I looked up the G12M70 thats in my DR right now and saw one great review on a Marshall forum and a terrible review on TGP. Go figure, lol. I got the amp sounding pretty damn good, especially when its sitting on a chair rather than on the floor (flat or tilted), which keeps the bass tighter. But I know the speaker is definitely a limiting factor - the Celestion Gold was far better: livelier but smoother treble and a tighter bass, but the tighter bass could either be the M magnet vs the big Alnico magnet or the fact that the Gold was in a closed cab.

The only thing is I wish the reverb decay was shorter. I like the initial splash of the strings, but the long thick decay can make things muddy. The reverb comes alive past three on the knob, but is too thick by 4 on the knob. I have RI Mullards in the reverb slots which as supposed to be about as good as it gets, but maybe a lower gain tube would give the reverb knob a bit more accuracy in control. I don't want to do the reverb dwell mod on the grid resistor because I heard it really only acts like a second reverb knob. I suppose I could buy a short tank or try adding more padding to the reverb tank, but taking it out of the amp and laying it on carpet didn't help.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: tsbot on January 03, 2014, 05:22:45 PM
Nice - I was interested in the Fuchs and had a Mesa Mark III  before I got this Vintage Sound Amp Vintage 22  - pretty much a hardwired PTP Deluxe Reverb built by Rick Haynes-  Ch 2 '65 blackface circuit, Ch 1 Higher gain.  It has the Diaz Trem mod, Middle Tone control, and dwell for reverb with a WGS V30 in it!  Stoked to say the least!
Also have a Loop-master 6 switch TB looper and A/B on the way so I can use both channels of the amp!  Happy New year to me hahaha!

And here is my new guitar!  Artinger shipping next week!

Do you find the bass gets louder when the trem is disconnected? I definitely did on my SFTR when I did that mod and I never turned the trem on on my last SFDR. I don't think I'm going to mod my current DR, but wondering about the bass boost with that mod (if I want more preamp gain, I'll just pull the V1 tube). If I did an 'invasive' mod, I think I could go for the mid control first.

How do you like the Veteran 30? Have you compared it to a Celestion V30? I've heard it almost has a bit of a Greenback tone mixed in with it.

How does the reverb dwell knob work for you (per my above post, wanted to shorted the reverb decay, but increase the splash like Stephen Stills sound on Wooden Ships)? I might just drop the $30 or whatever it costs to get a short tank...

Loop Master is a cool company. After putting my pedals in a TB Loop Switcher, its indespensible if using more than a few pedals IMO - I hear much more clarity and detail from the guitar coming through. Are you going to use one channel overdriven and the other clean or one for a lead boost and the other for rhythm?

Congrats on the guitar! I love my Artinger - yours looks sick! What kind of wood is that?

tsbot

Do you find the bass gets louder when the trem is disconnected? I definitely did on my SFTR when I did that mod and I never turned the trem on on my last SFDR. I don't think I'm going to mod my current DR, but wondering about the bass boost with that mod (if I want more preamp gain, I'll just pull the V1 tube). If I did an 'invasive' mod, I think I could go for the mid control first.

I did find that and actually have the trem in the circuit, just clicked on with no volume! - When using the mod it gives it a slight volume bump and does for sure add a little 'muddy' base feel - I thought I would like it, but if I were to do it all over again and had to pay for it, I would not get the mod!  I do love the Mid Control - that was a must for me - my first amp was a Twin Reverb, then I got that Mesa Mark III - which I loved but it was too much for mainly bedroom playing and I didn't have a cab for it yet - I was using the 2x12 Twin Reverb as a cab haha! AND I was ALWAYS F'n with the Mesa Controls haha! I am totally happy with this Vintage 22 - Perfect for my needs and WAY lighter for heading out and jamming with friends!

How do you like the Veteran 30? Have you compared it to a Celestion V30? I've heard it almost has a bit of a Greenback tone mixed in with it.

I haven't compared it - only to the Twin Reverb, it breaks up nice and sustains nice at lower levels - I'd like to see a comparison because it isn't an expensive speaker and I'm of the adage that you get what you pay for - but maybe this time it doesn't apply.

How does the reverb dwell knob work for you (per my above post, wanted to shorted the reverb decay, but increase the splash like Stephen Stills sound on Wooden Ships)? I might just drop the $30 or whatever it costs to get a short tank...

I love the dwell knob - I have seemed to set it and forget it for the most part, but it definitely has a lot of effect on the reverb depending on where you put it!

Loop Master is a cool company. After putting my pedals in a TB Loop Switcher, its indespensible if using more than a few pedals IMO - I hear much more clarity and detail from the guitar coming through. Are you going to use one channel overdriven and the other clean or one for a lead boost and the other for rhythm?

That is my plan - I should have it by end of next week -then its time to revamp my board!  It goes like this right now: Whammy II > VOX wah > Fulltone MDV 3 > TC polytune > Analogman mod TS9 > Bogner Ecstacy blue > Keeley 4 knob comp > TC Vortex flanger (which may come off) > Boss DD 6 (which I'm looking to replace with more functional on the fly delay) > Boomerang III > Amp

The Whammy isn't in the chain right now bc it is super noisy and seems to destroy my signal haha - I am totally stoked to get the Looper and have a clean signal going into the amp - it's heaven when I only plug my guitar straight into the Vintage 22 - so I'm hoping to get that same tone with the switcher!

My boomerang splits the loop after I'm done recording into my Twin Reverb so I can jam/lead through the Vintage 22 and loop out of the Twin so I don't have loop and lead coming out of one amp - which I  totally am digging right now!

Congrats on the guitar! I love my Artinger - yours looks sick! What kind of wood is that?

Thanks he is shipping it Mon/Tues next week!! I hope it plays as good as it looks!  I kept stressing the neck needed to be between a Fender and Gibby - I dislike thin necks and got to play a Languedoc during the build and that neck is heaven so I hope it is VERY close to that!  The wood is all Mahogany with Electric City RD 59 PU's - Matt is a huge Phish fan too and knows exactly what I was going after so I gave him most control over that since I don't know much if anything about PU's other that the PAF's I have in my Heritage 535 and that Trey plays Schaller golden 50's...

[/quote]

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: tsbot on January 03, 2014, 07:02:05 PM

I did find that and actually have the trem in the circuit, just clicked on with no volume! - When using the mod it gives it a slight volume bump and does for sure add a little 'muddy' base feel - I thought I would like it, but if I were to do it all over again and had to pay for it, I would not get the mod!  I do love the Mid Control - that was a must for me - my first amp was a Twin Reverb, then I got that Mesa Mark III - which I loved but it was too much for mainly bedroom playing and I didn't have a cab for it yet - I was using the 2x12 Twin Reverb as a cab haha! AND I was ALWAYS F'n with the Mesa Controls haha! I am totally happy with this Vintage 22 - Perfect for my needs and WAY lighter for heading out and jamming with friends!

I haven't compared it - only to the Twin Reverb, it breaks up nice and sustains nice at lower levels - I'd like to see a comparison because it isn't an expensive speaker and I'm of the adage that you get what you pay for - but maybe this time it doesn't apply.

I love the dwell knob - I have seemed to set it and forget it for the most part, but it definitely has a lot of effect on the reverb depending on where you put it!

That is my plan - I should have it by end of next week -then its time to revamp my board!  It goes like this right now: Whammy II > VOX wah > Fulltone MDV 3 > TC polytune > Analogman mod TS9 > Bogner Ecstacy blue > Keeley 4 knob comp > TC Vortex flanger (which may come off) > Boss DD 6 (which I'm looking to replace with more functional on the fly delay) > Boomerang III > Amp

The Whammy isn't in the chain right now bc it is super noisy and seems to destroy my signal haha - I am totally stoked to get the Looper and have a clean signal going into the amp - it's heaven when I only plug my guitar straight into the Vintage 22 - so I'm hoping to get that same tone with the switcher!

My boomerang splits the loop after I'm done recording into my Twin Reverb so I can jam/lead through the Vintage 22 and loop out of the Twin so I don't have loop and lead coming out of one amp - which I  totally am digging right now!

Thanks he is shipping it Mon/Tues next week!! I hope it plays as good as it looks!  I kept stressing the neck needed to be between a Fender and Gibby - I dislike thin necks and got to play a Languedoc during the build and that neck is heaven so I hope it is VERY close to that!  The wood is all Mahogany with Electric City RD 59 PU's - Matt is a huge Phish fan too and knows exactly what I was going after so I gave him most control over that since I don't know much if anything about PU's other that the PAF's I have in my Heritage 535 and that Trey plays Schaller golden 50's...

[/quote]

Interesting. I'd love to hear more about the dwell knob if you have the chance. When I hear spring reverb, I hear two parts. If the reverb is driven hard enough, the first thing I hear is the splashy, springy sound. The second thing I hear the the cavernous decay. Hypothetically the dwell know should shorten the decay, but I've seen reviews where people say it really just generally decreases the amount of reverb. I was hoping to have a bit less volume and length in time on the cavernous decay and a bit more of the splashy sound from the springs.

Yeah, I definitely trust Matt's opinion. Him and I talked a lot about the electronics Trey uses and he was thinking about implementing some of that. Not sure if he ever did. Trey initially used Golden 50's but switched to Duncan 59's which sound identical.

tsbot

Heady - Yea it think it decreases the amout of reverb - for instance if I have reverb all the way up say on 9 out of 10 and dwell on 1 - there really is no reverb, but with dwell on 3 or 4 it begins to come through and on 10 its full on....It does seem to shorten it a bit and not be so cavernous but a bit more present when you use the dwell in conjunction with the reverb...

I sent you  an email with an iTunes clip that I made real quick through Garageband into a Sennheiser e609 into Scarlet 2i2 - giving you a feel of reverb on with dwell off and all the way on - I went though a few different variables - don't judge the playing haha!  Hope that helps some!!

Heady Jam Fan

Awesome man, thanks.

It seems like it does diminish that 'cavernous' decay while also diminishing the overall amount of reverb. In other words, it sounded like the lower the dwell, the higher you need to set the reverb, but the more 'splash' to 'cave' ratio. I think I would probably set the reverb around 8 and dwell around 4 to get the sound that Stephen Stills got on Wooden Ships.