Art: Orange Phase

Started by Heady Jam Fan, January 14, 2014, 10:51:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Lies it clearly says "Hase"
Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Down_With_Sco

Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: fulltone1989 on January 15, 2014, 08:59:20 AM
Lies it clearly says "Hase"

Lol

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on January 15, 2014, 02:10:18 PM
Nice, what year is the 45?

The Phase 45 is a '74.
The Phase 90 is a '79.

Here's a pic of the 90's guts - you can see no R28 or holes for the R28 leads, but it looks like a typical Block Logo PCB. Its not a Bud box, but the bottom-plate has the script logo imprinted on the back which is common to early Block logo pedals.

The 90 is notably noisier than the 45, but the 45 has a mid-cut (or mid scoop) while the 90 has a mid-boost. Makes it hard to pick which to keep!
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Heady Jam Fan

Even though the Block Logo Phase 90 was a Script Logo, it had a mild hiss (only when it was before my TS9 and Comp) and was less classy and smooth - it had more of an effected sound - than my Script 45.

So I searched for a Phase 90 without the noise issue and ended up with that worn-out/in old Script you see in the pick above. Its just as quiet as my 45 (which is silent anywhere in the signal chain). It is also very smooth and classy, more subtle and less effected than the Block Phase 90.

The Script Phase 90 has a really interesting sweep too - there is, for lack of a better way to describe it, a second 'blip' in the sweep that gives it a more watery sound - its less rhythmic and more of a texture. Lovin' this pedal though!

I also grabbed up a 1984 Ibanez GE9, which can be had pretty cheap, to replace my MXR 6-Band EQ as a lead boost. The MXR sounded kinda cold and clinical, which is fine for very transparent tone shaping, but the GE9 has a warmer, more musical quality - my leads feel thicker and smoother with it. Also, having the volume slider is a huge benefit - the MXR's sliders are so finicky a millimeter change makes a huge difference, then I end up with a big volume boost, but the GE9's sliders a less sensitive and much easier to dial in.

I tried both the GE9 and MXR where I have the PQ9, but I prefer the PQ9 there because it sounds a little sweeter as a clean rhythm pedal (dialed in like a slightly flatter TS9 - mids at 700hz). Also, the GE9 and MXR added a slight bit of noise when they were before dirt or a comp, but not after dirt and comp. On that note, I found I could dial in the GE9 better for as a lead boost than the PQ9.

ShockedAndPersuaded

Well. That just looks like a fun day.

I found I could dial in the GE9 better for as a lead boost than the PQ9.

I've always heard that graphics are easier on the tone to boost frequencies and parametric is works better for cutting frequencies.  I've been wrestling with the thoughts of a phase90 or an old Ibanez auto wah.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on January 22, 2014, 04:57:11 PM
Well. That just looks like a fun day.

I found I could dial in the GE9 better for as a lead boost than the PQ9.

I've always heard that graphics are easier on the tone to boost frequencies and parametric is works better for cutting frequencies.  I've been wrestling with the thoughts of a phase90 or an old Ibanez auto wah.

That particular pedalboard setup has been very fun and simple enough too!

Interesting about parametrics being better for cutting frequencies... I found it hard to dial in the amount bass for leads with the PQ9: I think when I cut bass, it cut a higher frequency than I wanted to, while the GE9 let me cut a whole lot of only the low-lows - that left the leads sounding full but cutting through like a knife.

I have the Block Phase 90 and 1984 AF9 Auto Wah for sale. The range switch on the Auto Wah is broken so you have to open the pedal to adjust it. PM me if your interested - I got a great price on both and intend on 'paying it forward' price-wise.

Stecks

My chain looks like yours, junior.  Bet you can get some nice Eddie Hazel sounds.  Always wanted a RAT.  Played my boy's Super RAT this summer.  Lovely.  Great crunch.  I like its heavy crunch way better than TS9 or any of the mods.

Damn I want to play with this
Schecter C1 Classic - Takamine EG334BC acoustic/electric.  Tuner>volume>VOX wah>TS9> Morley ABY selector/split/combiner, PathA:CS9>BF2>DigiDelay, PathB:envelope filter>AD9, 1971 Fender Twin (slightly modded) amplifier

"Remember:  information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is THE BEST." - FZ

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Stecks on January 22, 2014, 05:51:20 PM
My chain looks like yours, junior.  Bet you can get some nice Eddie Hazel sounds.  Always wanted a RAT.  Played my boy's Super RAT this summer.  Lovely.  Great crunch.  I like its heavy crunch way better than TS9 or any of the mods.

Damn I want to play with this

I love the Rat. I've been setting it lower gain than I would use for a chrunchy rhythm, somewhere in the Scofield territory, then hitting it with the PQ9 or TS9, which tightens up the bass a bit. Its an awesome pedal - I go back and forth between preferring the Rat or "full-scream" TS9.

ShockedAndPersuaded

I'm sorry, I meant better at rather than for. Guess that makes a diference huh?  Cutting freq's with a parametric sounds more natural than boosting. I have a PEQ in my UE-405. Boosted freq's sound good but they definitely have an effected sound to them.
Guitars: 4 custom built, '79 LP standard, '69 ES 355, '83 LP Jr, '02 PRS HB II, '99 Strat>Bypass looper: Whammy II>Clyde Deluxe Wah>Maxon OD9Pro+>Cusack Tap-A-Whirl>Deja Vibe>Neo Ventilator>Fuchs TDS 100
Effects Loop: DD-7(short)>DD-7(long)

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: ShockedAndPersuaded on January 22, 2014, 06:06:30 PM
I'm sorry, I meant better at rather than for. Guess that makes a diference huh?  Cutting freq's with a parametric sounds more natural than boosting. I have a PEQ in my UE-405. Boosted freq's sound good but they definitely have an effected sound to them.

Interesting.
How do you like the MFX? I aways wanted to grab one - I've heard they sound different than the individual pedals, but I'll bet they still sound pretty rad.

No Nice Guy

Looks like now there's a new version out, the Phase 99

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Phase-99

Edit:  Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s3vDm5b3Eo
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: No Nice Guy on January 24, 2014, 02:37:44 PM
Looks like now there's a new version out, the Phase 99

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/Phase-99

Edit:  Video:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s3vDm5b3Eo

Cool man!
I think I would have blown a nut for that when I had my stereo rig!

Dunlop is releasing new versions of several old pedals (a couple of which are MXR). I'm kinda traditional when it comes to pedals and part of my wants to yell "blasphemy," while the other part is whispering "neato."