Divided Sky

Started by Walker done done, August 03, 2007, 10:57:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

So I've been bouncing this one around the last few weeks and have it down completely; the only part that gives me trouble is the \"palindrome\" part...it's a little fast and there are a lot of notes in a short amount of time, but I'm improving on it.

Such a great fucking song, one of my favorites to see in concert.  I love that part after the F where it quiets right down and it seems like the world splits open (or the sky divides, which is probably where the name comes from).  It's amazing how Trey & Fish were able to convey their feelings while sitting on that beach into music, because I can absolutely see it.  Such an uplifting feeling, that part.  And then it just elates from there on out.  Also have started getting into Lizards for the first time, not too far along yet, but man what a fun song to play on guitar.  The more I learn about Trey's writing style on guitar the more I realize that he wrote not only for the musical significance of it but for the sheer fact of how fun some of these songs are to play.

Anyways, anyone else play these 2?

I've also tackled Stash, which I consider one of the more \"harder\" tunes to play.  The others on my list that I have yet to tackle: YEM, Bowie, Reba, Fluffhead, Foam, and Oh Kee Pa.  Those are some of what I consider the hardest of Phish to play (I'm sure I'm missing one or three).  I'd put PYITE in there, but I don't think it's as techincal as the others, even though I still have trouble with parts of it.  I think I could get it if I spent more time and had more patience with it.

Thoughts?

PS - totally off topic, but I think Crowd Control was one of the worst songs they ever wrote.  Just my 2 cents.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Phish

K first off Crowd Control is a decent song. I love to play the intro and then play the arrpegio parts in Free. It sounds great man to go right into Free after the arrpegios

Walker done done

But back to Divided Sky - anyone else play this?  I love playing it, it's a blast.  Still working on the speed of that palindrome part, but what stinks is that even once I get it down, I have nobody to play it with.  The guys in my band a.) don't want to play it, and b.) I would question whether or not they even could play it if they wanted to...especially our rhythm guitarist - what the heck would he do through it all?

That's defintely one hurdle to overcome in regards to playing Phish in a band that has 2 guitarists - what the heck does the other one play?  I mean, I suppose you could draw it up like Bayliss & Cinninger from UM do it and both play Trey's parts or something similar, but it's not realistic, especially in my band where the other guitarist is a straight up rhythm player.  

But the point is - most Phish songs are hard to play w/ 2 guitarists because of the depth the songs present.  For the ones our band plays, we've stuck to some \"simpler\" tunes.  Here's what I mean (we play the following):

Bathtub
Mike's
Funky Bitch
Timber Ho
Drifting
Sweet Dreams Melinda
Sand
Suzy
AC/DC Bag
Cities
Shine
BOAF
Sneakin' Sally

And maybe some others I'm leaving out, but you get the idea.  There are a bunch more I want to bring into the rotation, too.  Off the top of my head, the ones I think we can pull off:

Julius
Free
The Wedge
Lizards
Cavern
Wilson
It's Ice
Ya Mar
Boogie On
Lifeboy

But stuff like Stash, Divided Sky (even Golgi maybe?) and the like are going to be hard, but I really want to play these in a band setting, because I believe you can only get so far by playing it on your own.  There comes a point where you have to apply what you've practiced in a real setting.

Looks like I may have to start a side project, I guess!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.