Starting a new pedalboard, need advice

Started by No Nice Guy, February 03, 2014, 12:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

No Nice Guy

So I recently was playing around with my Tele, and realized I kinda spend too much time trying to steal from Trey.  So, I'm gonna start my own little rig.  Right now I'm planning on this signal chain:

Tele -> Tuner -> OD/Dist/Fuzz -> Pitch Shifter -> EHX Superego (Effects loop:  Neo Clone -> Small Stone) -> Delay -> Tremolo -> Blues Jr

For each one I need a recommendation of a good one.  For tuner, pitch shifter, and delay, I may use what I have already.  I was hoping for some advice on these sections.

For OD/Dist/Fuzz I was thinking I'd go with a Muff of some sort, a Fuzz Face, or even a OCD.  I'm open to other options though.

For pitch shifting I'm either gonna pick up a POG2 or stick with my Whammy.

For delay I may stick with the TC Flashback, but I might pick something else up.

For Tremolo I was thinking GigFx Chopper, but does anyone know if these are any good?

The style I'm going for is a kinda mix of electronic and jamband, like the Disco Biscuits, STS9, but this is the best example of what I'm aiming for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KguR7buCqX4
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Heady Jam Fan

For distortion, find an old, beat up Rat on Craigslist, haggle the price down $20 and call it a day.
If you want to go with Fuzz, I think Skreddy is the best but pricey. I prefer a Fuzz Face (ie, Lunar Module), but his P19 looks sweet too.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

TheSeeker

Wren and Cuff make some great muff clones!  I have the Caprid (rams head) and The Box of War (civil war muff)  You can get fantastic Gilmour tones with them.  But if you want good tones at bedroom level, I'd go with a Rat like heady said.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

CaptainPeyote

my only suggestion up front would be to get yourself a nice input buffer with a tuner/mute output, and keep that tuner out of your signal chain.  possibly an output buffer, too, if there's more than 20ft of cable between your last buffered effect pedal and amp.  can't say enough about the tone preservation of a nice, clean, transparent buffer with the right impedance characteristics.

Buffered

Quote from: CaptainPeyote on February 13, 2014, 01:13:35 AM
my only suggestion up front would be to get yourself a nice input buffer with a tuner/mute output, and keep that tuner out of your signal chain.  possibly an output buffer, too, if there's more than 20ft of cable between your last buffered effect pedal and amp.  can't say enough about the tone preservation of a nice, clean, transparent buffer with the right impedance characteristics.

The Empress buffer is very nice, I've used it for about a year and a half with no issues. Buffers the beginning and end of your chain w/ a tuner out. If I played single coil guitars more ii'd opt for the buffer+ as it has more switching/load options. Huge difference in signal preservation as I ran about 5 effects in the buffer, with 18 ft out to my amps input with the Soul-O 45. If you have a TU2 and if the end of your chain has a boss pedal, then you should be fine. However, If you're using a TS9 and a TU2 just keep the TS9 where it is and stick the TU2 at the end as the Boss and Ibanez pedals have great buffers in them already. (Be sure to turn off mod effects before tuning though)
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Helping Friendly

I agree a good buffer can make your clean signal sound tasty. I went through a couple including the Axess BS-2 and a VHT Fryette Valvulator (tube buffer). I stuck with the VHT. It sounds incredible and adds a nice tube like response and does what a good buffer should. I really love this thing and try not to tell to many people about it cause its my secret weapon.

As far as a fuzz goes, if I were to get one it would without a doubt be a Noel Cornet. Hands down. Check out Burg's demo on youtube. It is quite different from your average fuzz. I think its smoother and not as fizzy as most. If Trey used a fuzz I bet it would... Nevermind! Its a Sovtek Era Inspired Muff made with all NOS parts. Check out the guts!!