Trey's rack (no not that kind)

Started by No Nice Guy, February 03, 2014, 02:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

express50express

Quote from: Walker done done on February 05, 2014, 08:22:51 PM
Guys I don't think the Volume is pulled. If you copy the pic and blow it up you'll see the Treble and Lead Master both have a "p" on either side of their respective numbers, indicating those are to be pulled, but I don't think that first "p" is referring to the Volume.

I do think the Presence is 2.5, and also agree the reverb is set to 7.

I also have the Simul-Class version (EL34's and 6V6's) and I love this amp. Grab one if you ever have the opportunity. I've matched mine with a beautiful AO custom 2x12 and it's pure bliss.

did not think of that. you could be right. thanks. could you post a blown up picture?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Walker done done on February 05, 2014, 08:22:51 PM
Guys I don't think the Volume is pulled. If you copy the pic and blow it up you'll see the Treble and Lead Master both have a "p" on either side of their respective numbers, indicating those are to be pulled, but I don't think that first "p" is referring to the Volume.

I do think the Presence is 2.5, and also agree the reverb is set to 7.

I also have the Simul-Class version (EL34's and 6V6's) and I love this amp. Grab one if you ever have the opportunity. I've matched mine with a beautiful AO custom 2x12 and it's pure bliss.

In some settings, the pull-bright on the volume knob makes a huge difference, in other settings, its really subtle. Maybe its a master volume thing, not sure... Tonight I tried it both push and pulled and it wasn't a huge difference. I think your probably right that the bright pull is not on, but I go back and forth on whether I use it: it adds a certain liveliness, but isn't as smooth.

PS - you mean 6L6 rather than 6V6, right?
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Walker done done

Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Heady Jam Fan

Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

express50express

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing! Case closed.

express50express

Heady, with the volume NOT pulled, that should cleanup the lead channel.

Helping Friendly

This thread is really really interesting for me! I was always curious what settings Trey was using. The thing that really sparked my interest are the 2 tube thing among others. I myself have a heavily modded Carvin x100b from 1990. I just recently pulled the 2 inner tubes out of the 4 and really saw a great improvement. Now with my amp it does have a 3 way power switch in the back (25%, 50%, 100%) I leave the power switch at 100% but physically pull 2 tubes. This cuts some volume which is great cause it is a very loud amp. But with this setup I believe you have to work out the tubes harder to get to a good volume where as at the same volume with 4 tubes in play, they aren't working as hard. I believe this is why I really like the amp with only 2 tubes in. The volume drop and the harder working tubes.

I have never owned a Mesa Mark 3, but when you guys (or Trey) use the power drop switch does it switch to just using 2 tubes? Or just cut the power and still utilize all 4 tubes? Would like to know cause I feel I got closer to Trey's lead tone with just 2 tubes in play.

If anyone is familiar with my amp and wants to know what mods I did here you go-
Changed the el34 to JAN-Philips 6L6WGB power tubes along with an external switch to change between el34 and 6l6's.

Installed an external trimpot for bias control.

GEQ mod- now works for "BOTH" channels

R6- changed to 19k
R11- changed to 523 ohms
R8- changed to 37k / 12k

C2- changed to 0.1uf
R13- added a 1200pf (lead treble bleed)
C14- changed to 390pf (reduced clean bright switch)

I use the bright switch on the clean channel so in order to get both channels close I reduced the value of the clean bright switch cap a little. I then installed a 0.0012 cap on R13 which was empty and makes the lead channel an always on bright switch. Couldn't be happier with the tone of this amp now!

OH and I use the Microverb in my effects loop and it sounds WAY better than in front!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: express50express on February 05, 2014, 08:27:10 PM
i have a THD 2x12 cab loaded with a black shadow mc-90 and vintage 30. To my ears the Evm12l sounds much better. the highs and lows are much better balanced, and the boogie is easier to dial in with that speaker. plus, different boogie settings sound good. the celestion cab is the complete opposite. i have given up on it. it could be a bad speaker combination. i am thinking about pairing the evm12l with one of them, just not sure which one yet. i guess i could try both and let the ears judge :)

I've used C90/CL80's, V30's, Golds, G12H30's, Golds........

I think I like the EV the most with the Mesa. I love how punchy that speaker is with the heavy magnet and flat cone. I really loved Golds too as far as the smooth, creamy timbre, but I didn't like the loss of articulation when the Alnico mag compressed (or the cost). The Weber Blue Dog just isn't the same. V30's are awesome, particularly live, but hard to handle sometime practicing in a bedroom - lots of upper mids. The CL80 is very balanced - has the Celestion mids without the Alnico compression, the V30 upper mid spike... but I gravitated toward the EV still probably because of the punchiness, the fullness in a 112, etc. I really liked combinations of a lot of those speakers in a 212, but couldn't fit it in my car easily enough and my Mesa 112 sounded better, fuller, bigger than my Avatar 212 anyway.

However, I tested the EV in my SFDR and preferred the CL80. I swapped the speakers back and forth about 5 times slowly cranking the volume on my DR from 3 on the dial all the way up to 10. I found the CL80 to be clearer and more focused with a smoother top-end and there was still plenty of treble on tap.

I always think you need to EQ the amp for the right feel etc and let the right speaker shape the rest.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on February 05, 2014, 09:05:23 PM
This thread is really really interesting for me! I was always curious what settings Trey was using. The thing that really sparked my interest are the 2 tube thing among others. I myself have a heavily modded Carvin x100b from 1990. I just recently pulled the 2 inner tubes out of the 4 and really saw a great improvement. Now with my amp it does have a 3 way power switch in the back (25%, 50%, 100%) I leave the power switch at 100% but physically pull 2 tubes. This cuts some volume which is great cause it is a very loud amp. But with this setup I believe you have to work out the tubes harder to get to a good volume where as at the same volume with 4 tubes in play, they aren't working as hard. I believe this is why I really like the amp with only 2 tubes in. The volume drop and the harder working tubes.

I have never owned a Mesa Mark 3, but when you guys (or Trey) use the power drop switch does it switch to just using 2 tubes? Or just cut the power and still utilize all 4 tubes? Would like to know cause I feel I got closer to Trey's lead tone with just 2 tubes in play.

If anyone is familiar with my amp and wants to know what mods I did here you go-
Changed the el34 to JAN-Philips 6L6WGB power tubes along with an external switch to change between el34 and 6l6's.

R6- changed to 19k
R11- changed to 523 ohms
R8- changed to 37k / 12k

C2- changed to 0.1uf

I use the bright switch on the clean channel so in order to get both channels close I reduced the value of the clean bright switch cap a little. I then installed a 0.0012 cap on R13 which was empty and makes the lead channel an always on bright switch. Couldn't be happier with the tone of this amp now!

OH and I use the Microverb in my effects loop and it sounds WAY better than in front!

The half-power or "Class A" setting basically turns off the other tubes EXCEPT pulling them changes the bias on the remaining tubes so they are running hotter. I believe its, in a technical sense, analogous to pulling the V1 tube in a Fender when using the reverb channel.

I always wanted to try one of those 'Zappa' amps. There was one for sale locally, but I didn't know the guy well enough to invite myself over to play it.

Thanks for posting your mods - I don't know enough about that amp or its circuit to know what they mean, but thats cool.

express50express

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 05, 2014, 09:10:58 PM

R6- changed to 19k
R11- changed to 523 ohms
R8- changed to 37k / 12k

C2- changed to 0.1uf

The half-power or "Class A" setting basically turns off the other tubes EXCEPT pulling them changes the bias on the remaining tubes so they are running hotter. I believe its, in a technical sense, analogous to pulling the V1 tube in a Fender when using the reverb channel.

I always wanted to try one of those 'Zappa' amps. There was one for sale locally, but I didn't know the guy well enough to invite myself over to play it.

Thanks for posting your mods - I don't know enough about that amp or its circuit to know what they mean, but thats cool.

The easiest, cheapest, and best mod on a twin is to just pull tubes.

Walker done done

If you cut to Class A, it cuts out the 2 inner tubes, which in mine are 6L6's, and leaves just the EL34's on. Class A is 60W, SimulClass is 100W.  The manual says they don't recommending swapping the 34's with 6L6's but I may try it. I also may replace my speakers (Tone Tubby and an Eminence commonwealth) with V30's too. We'll see.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: express50express on February 05, 2014, 09:02:49 PM

Makes sense - boosting the treble with the knob pulled should push any of the channels a bit harder.

I have to admit, while I was messing with the setting tonight, I ended up spending too much time on the lead channel with the drive knob pretty high, pushed by a TS9. Smooth distortion and extremely biting/present with the lead channel pull-shit (treble knob) and pull-bright (lead master). I haven't brought my Mesa to jam with the guy I'm just starting a band with, but he plays a Mesa Mini Rec... I'm gonna feel bad when the lead channel on my 30-year-old, $900 amp kicks the ass of his new $2500 amp ;). Maybe I'll let him plug into my EVM12L.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: express50express on February 05, 2014, 09:14:50 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 05, 2014, 09:10:58 PM

R6- changed to 19k
R11- changed to 523 ohms
R8- changed to 37k / 12k

C2- changed to 0.1uf

The easiest, cheapest, and best mod on a twin is to just pull tubes.

Yep. I pulled V1 and two power tubes, modded the Bias Balance to a normal Bias pot and called it a day (when I had a Twin).

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Walker done done on February 05, 2014, 09:15:56 PM

If you cut to Class A, it cuts out the 2 inner tubes, which in mine are 6L6's, and leaves just the EL34's on. Class A is 60W, SimulClass is 100W.  The manual says they don't recommending swapping the 34's with 6L6's but I may try it. I also may replace my speakers (Tone Tubby and an Eminence commonwealth) with V30's too. We'll see.

I think half power on a 4x 6L6 MKIII is 60w. I think with EL34's its 25-30w, according to Mesa when I emailed them about this after I got my MKIII because some literature says Class is 15w!

express50express

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 05, 2014, 09:16:40 PM
Quote from: express50express on February 05, 2014, 09:02:49 PM

Makes sense - boosting the treble with the knob pulled should push any of the channels a bit harder.

I have to admit, while I was messing with the setting tonight, I ended up spending too much time on the lead channel with the drive knob pretty high, pushed by a TS9. Smooth distortion and extremely biting/present with the lead channel pull-shit (treble knob) and pull-bright (lead master). I haven't brought my Mesa to jam with the guy I'm just starting a band with, but he plays a Mesa Mini Rec... I'm gonna feel bad when the lead channel on my 30-year-old, $900 amp kicks the ass of his new $2500 amp ;). Maybe I'll let him plug into my EVM12L.

Hahaha. Nice. This is one of the most aggressive amps.