Trey's rack (no not that kind)

Started by No Nice Guy, February 03, 2014, 02:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 05, 2014, 09:20:47 PM
Quote from: Walker done done on February 05, 2014, 09:15:56 PM
Quote from: Helping Friendly on February 05, 2014, 09:05:23 PM
I have never owned a Mesa Mark 3, but when you guys (or Trey) use the power drop switch does it switch to just using 2 tubes? Or just cut the power and still utilize all 4 tubes? Would like to know cause I feel I got closer to Trey's lead tone with just 2 tubes in play.

If you cut to Class A, it cuts out the 2 inner tubes, which in mine are 6L6's, and leaves just the EL34's on. Class A is 60W, SimulClass is 100W.  The manual says they don't recommending swapping the 34's with 6L6's but I may try it. I also may replace my speakers (Tone Tubby and an Eminence commonwealth) with V30's too. We'll see.

I think half power on a 4x 6L6 MKIII is 60w. I think with EL34's its 25-30w, according to Mesa when I emailed them about this after I got my MKIII because some literature says Class is 15w!

You can download the manual in PDF form online, just type it in Google.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Walker done done on February 05, 2014, 09:52:28 PM
I have never owned a Mesa Mark 3, but when you guys (or Trey) use the power drop switch does it switch to just using 2 tubes? Or just cut the power and still utilize all 4 tubes? Would like to know cause I feel I got closer to Trey's lead tone with just 2 tubes in play.

If you cut to Class A, it cuts out the 2 inner tubes, which in mine are 6L6's, and leaves just the EL34's on. Class A is 60W, SimulClass is 100W.  The manual says they don't recommending swapping the 34's with 6L6's but I may try it. I also may replace my speakers (Tone Tubby and an Eminence commonwealth) with V30's too. We'll see.

I think half power on a 4x 6L6 MKIII is 60w. I think with EL34's its 25-30w, according to Mesa when I emailed them about this after I got my MKIII because some literature says Class is 15w!

Yep - Mesa MKIII Manual:

QuoteTUBE SWITCH
This is the "Class A/Simul-Class" switch or the "60/100" watt switch, depending on amplifier type. In the Simul-Class amplifiers the
power (before clip) is much less in the Class A position - mere 15 watts. But the unique way the system is wired allows you to achieve a
much greater degree of power tube distortion than with most other amplifiers ... and it is still very loud! In Class A, only the outside
(outer left & outer right) pair of tubes - the EL-34's will be on. The inner pair - which are 6L6's - will also be turned on when the switch is
in the Simul-Class position. In addition to this obvious difference, the biasing and control circuitry of the socket pairs are radically
different ... and this is the heart of the now famous (and patented) Simul-Class circuitry. It is worth noting that almost all of the major
players who have gone over to Boogie have chosen the Simul-Class power design!

NOTE: In the past, MESA/Boogie advertised the "interchangeable power tubes" feature of the Mark III Simul-Class. We told players
that they could use either EL-34's or 6L6's in the outer (Class A) power sockets. However, in recent years we've observed a much
greater reliability factor with the use of EL-34's in these outer sockets, with much fewer incidents of tube failure. Therefore, today we
strongly recommend using EL-34's in the outer sockets and 6L6's in the inner sockets of your Simul-Class Boogie.

But when I emailed Mesa about the wattage on my Red Stripe:

Quote...using two EL34’s on the two outside positions and running the amp in Class A you will be running about 25-30 watts and in Simul-Class you would be looking at more like 75-80watts.  Regardless it’s a loud 25-30 watts when running just the Class A.

The 60w setting is only on the non-simulclass amps with 4x 6L6 power tubes. Its the "half power" setting that only uses 2 6L6's.

However, some Simul-Class amps are mislabeled and say "full power" vs "half power" rather than "simul-class" vs. "class-A." I think this mislabeling only occurred on long chassis amps. Long chassis amps, like Trey's, has the reverb knob on the front, but from the back of Trey's amp, you can see he has 4 6L6 tubes, so it seem likely he has a non-simulclass amp running in the 60w half-power setting (2 6L6's). However, its possible his is a mislabeled simulclass amp and he is simply running 6L6's in the EL34 slots.

One more caveat - I think the MKIII Green Stripe amps (the last run of MKIII's) switched the "Class A" EL34's from functioning as triodes (which is why they are less efficient their the full capacity) to pentodes for a 10w bump.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 06, 2014, 08:48:34 AM
Quote from: Walker done done on February 05, 2014, 09:52:28 PM

If you cut to Class A, it cuts out the 2 inner tubes, which in mine are 6L6's, and leaves just the EL34's on. Class A is 60W, SimulClass is 100W.  The manual says they don't recommending swapping the 34's with 6L6's but I may try it. I also may replace my speakers (Tone Tubby and an Eminence commonwealth) with V30's too. We'll see.

Yep - Mesa MKIII Manual:

QuoteTUBE SWITCH
This is the "Class A/Simul-Class" switch or the "60/100" watt switch, depending on amplifier type. In the Simul-Class amplifiers the
power (before clip) is much less in the Class A position - mere 15 watts. But the unique way the system is wired allows you to achieve a
much greater degree of power tube distortion than with most other amplifiers ... and it is still very loud! In Class A, only the outside
(outer left & outer right) pair of tubes - the EL-34's will be on. The inner pair - which are 6L6's - will also be turned on when the switch is
in the Simul-Class position. In addition to this obvious difference, the biasing and control circuitry of the socket pairs are radically
different ... and this is the heart of the now famous (and patented) Simul-Class circuitry. It is worth noting that almost all of the major
players who have gone over to Boogie have chosen the Simul-Class power design!

NOTE: In the past, MESA/Boogie advertised the "interchangeable power tubes" feature of the Mark III Simul-Class. We told players
that they could use either EL-34's or 6L6's in the outer (Class A) power sockets. However, in recent years we've observed a much
greater reliability factor with the use of EL-34's in these outer sockets, with much fewer incidents of tube failure. Therefore, today we
strongly recommend using EL-34's in the outer sockets and 6L6's in the inner sockets of your Simul-Class Boogie.

But when I emailed Mesa about the wattage on my Red Stripe:

Quote...using two EL34's on the two outside positions and running the amp in Class A you will be running about 25-30 watts and in Simul-Class you would be looking at more like 75-80watts.  Regardless it's a loud 25-30 watts when running just the Class A.

The 60w setting is only on the non-simulclass amps with 4x 6L6 power tubes. Its the "half power" setting that only uses 2 6L6's.

However, some Simul-Class amps are mislabeled and say "full power" vs "half power" rather than "simul-class" vs. "class-A." I think this mislabeling only occurred on long chassis amps. Long chassis amps, like Trey's, has the reverb knob on the front, but from the back of Trey's amp, you can see he has 4 6L6 tubes, so it seem likely he has a non-simulclass amp running in the 60w half-power setting (2 6L6's). However, its possible his is a mislabeled simulclass amp and he is simply running 6L6's in the EL34 slots.

One more caveat - I think the MKIII Green Stripe amps (the last run of MKIII's) switched the "Class A" EL34's from functioning as triodes (which is why they are less efficient their the full capacity) to pentodes for a 10w bump.

This is all great info!! I am learning alot from y'all