Widespread Panic.

Started by Buffered, February 07, 2014, 04:18:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Does not suck, at least IMHO. As a relatively new listener (got into them with Light Fuse, Run Away a few years ago) and mostly a listener of Jimmy era shows, I think that the jamming is less adventurous than Phish but I think they're a great band. Houser's playing was sweet too, more intervallic I would say. Herring does justice to that plus so much more. What do you guys think?

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Lephty

I don't hate 'em, but I don't love 'em.  Most of the time I find myself just standing there waiting for Herring to tear one up.

Jkendrick

I definitely prefer Jimmy to Mikey. But I even prefered the guy they originally replaced Mikey with to Mikey. Which is, if course, blasphemy to Panic fans. Panic is probably the band I have seen the most that does very little for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

I like Panic, but not a 'fanatic.'

I really enjoy some of their lyrics and love the percussion - adds a lot to a typical drummer.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Lephty on February 08, 2014, 12:43:51 PM
I don't hate 'em, but I don't love 'em.  Most of the time I find myself just standing there waiting for Herring to tear one up.

Indeed, It sounds like his soloing is the feature for most of the jamming. I don't mind.

Quote from: Jkendrick on February 08, 2014, 02:06:01 PM
I definitely prefer Jimmy to Mikey. But I even prefered the guy they originally replaced Mikey with to Mikey. Which is, if course, blasphemy to Panic fans. Panic is probably the band I have seen the most that does very little for me.

That's interesting, never heard the middle guy. That's definitely not the first time I have heard that, but their jams have a boogie little feat/disco vibes at times that I think would be fun to see at least once. They come to my area about once a year it seems so maybe its a good thing as I've never seen them. I'll see them at Lock'n though.

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on February 08, 2014, 02:14:23 PM
I like Panic, but not a 'fanatic.'

I really enjoy some of their lyrics and love the percussion - adds a lot to a typical drummer.

Yeah I think the two work together great, reminds me of Coral Sky.
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

I loved Herring in the early '90s with Aquarium Rescue Unit. Never thought he's found a gig that suited him quite that well since.

Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

cactuskeeb

I try to imagine widespread without dave schools and cringe.  Oh gosh, the percussionist is the worst.

cactuskeeb

Quote from: Lephty on February 08, 2014, 12:43:51 PM

It was the same way when Houser was living.  No one moved or paid attention unless he was playing one of those burn-em-up solos (that all kind of sounded the same).

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Hoody

I don't think Widespread sucks at all, and I'm surprised by the number of people who do.  They're song writing -- while often simple -- is very, very good.  Its not as intricate as say Phish, but the songs are catchy, well played, and involve some unique twists and turns.  I think JB's got one of the best voices around, and those searing solos by Houser were fantastic.  I saw them a lot back in '97-'00ish and they could move extremely well as a band. 

They don't do the collective jamming (a la Phish, Tahoe Tweezer for ex), but not very many can. 

If you don't like Widespread, and you hate the Biscuits, who do you like other than Phish in that genre?  Lotus?  Particle?  STS9? 

And Herring's got a killer tone.

Jkendrick

I'm not sure who you're referring to. Seems to me most people are in the don't love 'em, don't hate 'me camp. I certainly am. I've probably seen them over 20 times but I'd have a hard time picking many of their songs out if a line up. I do think they have better vocals than most jam bands. Honestly, I grew up with the previous generation of jam bands, most notably the GD. But I don't care for any non-Jerry incarnations. I even vastly prefer pre-jammy (early '90s) Phish. Music is subjective. Your mileage may vary.

cactuskeeb

That stumbling weeooing panic fan was great.

Buffered

Haha yeah schwilling whiskey after the fest is over.

I think Panic is sweet, and they have solid catchy songwriting. I'd consider them more jam-rock in terms of their simpler chord progressions. Anybody hear any techno/disco in their jams?

Jkendrick

I should add I wish those guys nothing but the best. Having seen them 20+ times I really WANT to like them. But for whatever reason I just don't connect. That said, my brother-in-law's band played a double bill with them for their New Year's run a few years ago and I got to meet them. They are all really good, genuine guys. I'm really happy to see their success.