Fender Princeton Reverb Reissue or 68 Custom Princeton

Started by express50express, February 23, 2014, 10:54:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

express50express

Any thoughts out there on this amp? Looking at the Reissue or the new 68 Custom. Something for a small home bedroom amp. Curious if anybody has any experience with these amp or something comparable. I had a Modified Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, but I had to let it go because it was too loud for my current needs.

Also, I'd be curious what other suggestion are out there.

My requirements are all tube, fender cleans, breakup, 15W MAX, and reverb.

Thanks.

Happyorange27

I strongly suggest a Blues Jr. They aren't bad stock but you can do some simple mods to it and make it amazing. I'm somewhat biased of course. Anyway, go play one to see if you like.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

No Nice Guy

Quote from: express50express on February 23, 2014, 10:54:48 AM
Any thoughts out there on this amp? Looking at the Reissue or the new 68 Custom. Something for a small home bedroom amp. Curious if anybody has any experience with these amp or something comparable. I had a Modified Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue, but I had to let it go because it was too loud for my current needs.

Also, I'd be curious what other suggestion are out there.

My requirements are all tube, fender cleans, breakup, 15W MAX, and reverb.

Thanks.

Try also the Egnater Tweaker - gives similar tones, all tube, and has many more options.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Hoody

Has anyone ever tried the mod subbing out an AX7 in V2 for an AT7?  Particularly in an older blackface model DR?  I recently tried this and was surprised at the difference it made.  I found my DR breaks up pretty consistently at about 3 (in Ch. 2), but with an AT7 the cleans were nicer and could carry longer.  Breakup/sweet spot hit more around 4 with the AT7. 

Anyone else try this?  And what did you think?  My break up is pretty serious on the DR, so I'm happy to have the additional headroom.  I've always thought Trey's best and worst tones were with the DR.  Best being 97-00, worst being 2.0.  I found w/out a compressor and pushing the DR a bit with TS9's gets a really thin sound and is harsh. 

Hoody

I've read a number of posters say that they can use 2 TS9's before a compressor and that they don't experience a big volume jump when the TS9 is kicked on.  I've always found the opposite.  I can't really understand how anyone can not have a big volume jump when kicking on a TS9, even with a compressor chasing it.  So i basically gave up on that approach and just started messing w/ the volume knob on the guitar a lot more when using a TS9, and voila, a much better sound and far more Trey like. 

I'm curious if anyone can confirm that they really have no volume spike when they use a TS9, and whether anyone else finds that their tone is far better when using a TS9 if they really lighten up the volume on the guitar.  I find I just get WAY too much dirt w/ a ts9 on, even if its set to light distortion.  I'm pretty convinced that's what Trey's been doing, and how he has his volume maxed on his TS9's, he just lightens the volume, lessens the distortion and off he goes.

picture_of_nectar

I play through a 1965 Princeton Reverb that i bought for ~1,500. It's by far my favorite low power amp. I actually like my Bassman clone a lot better but it pisses my band off when i bring it cause it's so damn loud.

I gig regularly with the Princeton and it's a great club amp if it's mic'd. Nothin beats it at home at low volume. Great tone, great pedal platform.

Can't say much about the Reissues.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Hoody on February 23, 2014, 10:51:39 PM
Has anyone ever tried the mod subbing out an AX7 in V2 for an AT7?  Particularly in an older blackface model DR?  I recently tried this and was surprised at the difference it made.  I found my DR breaks up pretty consistently at about 3 (in Ch. 2), but with an AT7 the cleans were nicer and could carry longer.  Breakup/sweet spot hit more around 4 with the AT7. 

Anyone else try this?  And what did you think?  My break up is pretty serious on the DR, so I'm happy to have the additional headroom.  I've always thought Trey's best and worst tones were with the DR.  Best being 97-00, worst being 2.0.  I found w/out a compressor and pushing the DR a bit with TS9's gets a really thin sound and is harsh. 

I tried a couple AT7's in V2 with my SFDR (including an RCA Grey Plate) and went back to my RCA AX7. It has a sweeter, chirpier tone and I prefer the RCA AT7 over lower quality AX7's, but just cuz its a great (RCA) tube and not because I prefer AT7's. It actually doesn't really affect your headroom, there are a lot of articles on this. It just has less output, so you get overdrive at a higher number on the volume knob, but at the same actual output volume. You also would have less overdrive with the volume maxed using at AT7 because it has less gain (volume) on tap. I've also tried 5751's in the past and preferred 12AX7s.

PS - to the OP. I would save for a Silverface.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Hoody

Heady - did you mix up AT7/AX7?  It looked like you meant you prefer the AX7, but said AT7.

It seems to me on my DR that the breakup comes not only later on teh volume dial, but also in terms of overall loudness. Mine is definitely louder without breaking up with the AT7 in place. 

And as to the original post, i strongly agree w/ Heady that the choice of amp should really be a Silverface.  After having had a Blues Jr, a reissue Princton and a RI DR, I firmly believe that the oldies are FAR superior.  They're just a different animal.  I don't even think they're that comparable other than having the same name.  Some of the great amp doctors, including Carruth, won't even touch the new re-issues.  Save your money, get the blackface or early silverface and be done with your amp for good.

Buffered

I see SFPR's going for between $850-1200 on the bay.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Hoody on February 24, 2014, 10:54:51 AM
Heady - did you mix up AT7/AX7?  It looked like you meant you prefer the AX7, but said AT7.

It seems to me on my DR that the breakup comes not only later on teh volume dial, but also in terms of overall loudness. Mine is definitely louder without breaking up with the AT7 in place. 

And as to the original post, i strongly agree w/ Heady that the choice of amp should really be a Silverface.  After having had a Blues Jr, a reissue Princton and a RI DR, I firmly believe that the oldies are FAR superior.  They're just a different animal.  I don't even think they're that comparable other than having the same name.  Some of the great amp doctors, including Carruth, won't even touch the new re-issues.  Save your money, get the blackface or early silverface and be done with your amp for good.

No, I didn't mix 'em up. This question comes up a lot on forums though (I've asked it myself years ago) and a couple tube-guru's (including people who own tube stores) will always pop in to say its an illusion of headroom since the amp breaks up later on the dial, but its the same volume. Having said that, I'm not a tube guru and I'm not doubting your experience, but I wonder if maybe its particular to the two tubes you have? I dont know - nothing wrong with swapping tubes for tone and fun, but before investing in tubes just for headroom, I'd suggest double checking with someone like Doug from Doug's Tubes or Mike from KANOS. Even the guys at Eurotubes, or search some other forums (I haven't seen a discussion on SD that I can remember).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9