Trade advice needed..

Started by Buffered, March 10, 2014, 10:26:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey all,

Saw a Big Apple Strat on TGP and the owner made me a trade offer, it sounds good to me I just want some other opinions before I pull the trigger.

My Timmy + $600 for his Fender American Big Apple Strat w/ case is the deal. It's one of my favorite strat color combos, Vanilla w/ rosewood board and tort. guard. It's the two HB (HH) configured American Standard. A '59 and Pearly Gates+ in the bridge with a 5 way switch for coil split/HB tones. I've always wanted a proper Jimmy Herring strat, and this seems like it would fit the bill. My biggest concern is that the BA will depreciate in a few years, however since they don't make it anymore I could be wrong. I only use the Timmy with my Groove Tubes, but even now the Ego I have could cover the Timmy's job as I use it.  The Strat is a 1997. Sorry for the sprinkling of information everyone. The other small grape item is my pinky and the volume knob don't get along all the time, but I could easily mod it for 1 vol-1 tone and just move it down a space. I'm not sure a 2 Vol 1 tone config could be setup with a 5 way switch.

Shorthand Timmy + $600 for HH American Standard strat w/ case in a cool color would you hit it?
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

IamWILSON

I hate to say it, but that seems a little expensive.  A '97 Big Apple strat just sold on Ebay a couple days ago for $599 plus $55 for shipping, meaning that the seller is paying his Ebay and Paypal fees, and shipping the guitar, he is only gonna receive about $515 for the sale.  Here's the link if you want to see and compare the condition of the guitar and hard case.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stratocaster-1997-Big-Apple-Strat-Duncan-Pickups-Made-in-U-S-A-/291095367241?pt=Guitar&hash=item43c6a2ce49&nma=true&si=h88ER0hTuwal1uHxNfftD679hZ8%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Personally, it seems to me if you stay patient you can find the guitar you want for about $650 without giving up the Timmy, or even better since you've got a replacement for the timmy, if you payed about $525-550 and shipped him the Timmy, that would seem like a more even trade. 

I'll just keep rambling my thoughts out after looking more at sales history on Ebay...It seems like you should be able to get the guitar you want for between $600 to $800 so I guess he's in the ballpark when you add in the Timmy trade.  If it were me, I may try to get it a little cheaper, maybe even $575, but if that doesn't matter to you then do it!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Buffered

Yeah most likely going to pass. I have 3 electrics and a great acoustic I barely have time for already!
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation