Awaiting my first Boogie Mark 3!!

Started by Helping Friendly, March 13, 2014, 10:11:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

So I have to tell you how stoked I am to finally afford a Mark III. Thank god for tax returns! It is a fully loaded purple stripe simul-class. After learning everything under the sun about the different stripes I decided the purple was for me. Even though Trey uses a red I feel the purple will be a bit more rounded and smooth, especially in rhythm 2 and lead channel. I have also heard the purple has the nicest cleans.? I love Treys lead tone with the boogie and after hearing so many clips, you really can tell it's a red stripe. There is a very small percent of the time where his lead tone is a maybe a little too aggressive for my tastes, think Landlady in '91. It's not nearly as bad as the shiva. I hate that thing for him! Sorry. It's not that Treys red stripe its too in your face, but with "me" I would like to be more tamed and smooth more times than none. I feel out of all the stripes the purple will be the cleanest and less "aggressive" gain. This is by far the best piece of equipment I have ever owned. OMG I can't wait! Oh yea, $700 if your wondering..

Heady Jam Fan

Congrats man!

My combo is (now) the same color (I used to have a black tolex one, but sold it).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 13, 2014, 10:11:24 PM
So I have to tell you how stoked I am to finally afford a Mark III. Thank god for tax returns! It is a fully loaded purple stripe simul-class. After learning everything under the sun about the different stripes I decided the purple was for me. Even though Trey uses a red I feel the purple will be a bit more rounded and smooth, especially in rhythm 2 and lead channel. I have also heard the purple has the nicest cleans.? I love Treys lead tone with the boogie and after hearing so many clips, you really can tell it's a red stripe. There is a very small percent of the time where his lead tone is a maybe a little too aggressive for my tastes, think Landlady in '91. It's not nearly as bad as the shiva. I hate that thing for him! Sorry. It's not that Treys red stripe its too in your face, but with "me" I would like to be more tamed and smooth more times than none. I feel out of all the stripes the purple will be the cleanest and less "aggressive" gain. This is by far the best piece of equipment I have ever owned. OMG I can't wait! Oh yea, $700 if your wondering..

Trey uses a blue stripe.
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: No Nice Guy on March 16, 2014, 12:03:55 AM
Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 13, 2014, 10:11:24 PM

Trey uses a blue stripe.

I'm pretty sure Trey's is red.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Down_With_Sco

Yea, Trey uses a red stripe.... but I'd love to own any type of MKIII.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Helping Friendly

I have also heard Trey uses a Red stripe. They are all very similar though. Most of the difference between the purple and red is R2 and lead. The blue is the most aggressive in the top end and def not trey. The blue has a slight more grindy (chainsaw) lead tone as opposed to the smooth purple/red. I actually could of got a blue for $50 cheaper but wanted a purple. I just ordered a Hardtrucker knock off from tim at trmguitarcabs.com
I'm gona stain and finish myself. I chose a mix of an  EVM12L and an MC-90 in the 2x12 cab. Should be the "classic" boogie combination. Anyone have experience with these speakers and the Mk3? What do you boogie owners use?
PS- Why does Trey use house insulation in his PL cab? What would be the point of that!?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 16, 2014, 08:19:08 PM
I have also heard Trey uses a Red stripe. They are all very similar though. Most of the difference between the purple and red is R2 and lead. The blue is the most aggressive in the top end and def not trey. The blue has a slight more grindy (chainsaw) lead tone as opposed to the smooth purple/red. I actually could of got a blue for $50 cheaper but wanted a purple. I just ordered a Hardtrucker knock off from tim at trmguitarcabs.com
I'm gona stain and finish myself. I chose a mix of an  EVM12L and an MC-90 in the 2x12 cab. Should be the "classic" boogie combination. Anyone have experience with these speakers and the Mk3? What do you boogie owners use?
PS- Why does Trey use house insulation in his PL cab? What would be the point of that!?

MC90 and EVM12L will be a good combo for your Mesa.

I like a lot of Celestions speakers with the EVM including Golds and V30's. I just found 212's with an EV to be a bit cumbersome, so I eventually pared down my options to a 212 with V30's or 1 EVM12L. I found the EV alone to be the best option for me, especially since the Avatar 212 was tough to fit in my car.

Right now I have 2 EV's, a CL80 (similar to C90) and a Weber Blue Dog.

I'm not certain, but I might sell me CL80 (if I end up liking the Weber enough) and one EVM

Down_With_Sco

Trey probably used house insulation because that's what they had for material.... why is it there? Probably to dampen the lows a bit.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on March 17, 2014, 02:10:18 PM
Trey probably used house insulation because that's what they had for material.... why is it there? Probably to dampen the lows a bit.

My understanding is the effect that foam has can vary greatly dependent on its particular physical characteristics. Not to mention its in the back of the cab, which will be phase-inverted sound compared to whats coming off the front side of the speaker. There are a couple discussions on TGP that I recall about foam inside of a cabinet. Trey's, to me, looks like insulation. I thought I read that type of foam may give the acoustic perception of a larger size cab, mostly affecting bass, but I can't remember. I'd search for articles about insulation in cabinets. Maybe run a couple tests and see if you like the sound of various types of foam: insulation from your attic (if you have any), a synthetic pillow, a feather pillow... Note, however, there is some discussion about fiber glass foam potentially damaging speakers (this may be a wives tale).

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 17, 2014, 02:23:28 PM

My understanding is the effect that foam has can vary greatly dependent on its particular physical characteristics. Not to mention its in the back of the cab, which will be phase-inverted sound compared to whats coming off the front side of the speaker. There are a couple discussions on TGP that I recall about foam inside of a cabinet. Trey's, to me, looks like insulation. I thought I read that type of foam may give the acoustic perception of a larger size cab, mostly affecting bass, but I can't remember. I'd search for articles about insulation in cabinets. Maybe run a couple tests and see if you like the sound of various types of foam: insulation from your attic (if you have any), a synthetic pillow, a feather pillow... Note, however, there is some discussion about fiber glass foam potentially damaging speakers (this may be a wives tale).

Wow, good info. It's got me very intrigued now. I want to know more about the physics behind any type of material in a speaker cab. Please chime in if someone knows more about this..

PS- I am very excited about the speakers. I will report on them ASAP.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on March 17, 2014, 04:53:50 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on March 17, 2014, 02:23:28 PM

Wow, good info. It's got me very intrigued now. I want to know more about the physics behind any type of material in a speaker cab. Please chime in if someone knows more about this..

PS- I am very excited about the speakers. I will report on them ASAP.

Yeah, I'd be interested just out of curiosity (I don't plan on foaming my cabs), but I only know enough about it to know I don't now anything ;). At least what I read makes it seem more complex than I would have expected. Down_With_Sco could be right on the money as far as Trey's foam insulation, but slightly different foam might have a wildly different effect in my understanding.

Happyorange27

http://www.loudspeakerbuilding.com/Practical-guide/Basic-Physics/10147,en

Damping and insulation

First, a brief explanation of the difference between the two. Damping is a measure to reduce sound emanation along with the cabinet wall's tendency to vibrate. In other words, a damping measure is applied directly to the wall of the cabinet. A few options are the abovementioned reinforcements, and bitumen plates or soft-fiber boards glued onto the wall surfaces.

Insulation is the conversion of sound energy into thermal energy. One example as an illustration: imagine a swinging pendulum that you want to bring to rest. One way of doing this would be to dip the pendulum in a thick "porridge" that takes the kinetic energy away from the pendulum and converts it to heat. However, sound is nothing but vibrating air particles, so we can also remove its kinetic energy with porous materials like polyester wool, sheep's wool or mineral wool. Therefore it makes sense to fill the entire cabinet interior with insulation material. Once energy is converted in this way, it can no longer cause the cabinet walls to vibrate.

In practice, the entire interior is loosely filled (not packed) with insulation material (Sonofil). For reflex boxes, the area around the tunnel end extending into the box must be left open.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex