Any opinions on this SFDR?

Started by Jkendrick, June 02, 2014, 04:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

Price? Year? Things to look for should I go take a look?

Thanks!

http://denver.craigslist.org/msg/4497926171.html
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

It looks clean. I think the DR circuit didn't change nearly as much as the other Fenders during this time. See if the caps have been replaced, original speaker etc. Good price as it includes a road case but you have to consider if you'll use it at all..
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

I agree^

Don't worry about the year - you can get it Blackfaced if you want, but I wouldn't worry, especially if your using it as a pedal platform. Just never use the pull boost ;). It was the higher wattage Fenders that really changed more and more after the Blackface era.

Since it was recently serviced, I'd say thats a pretty good price. Especially if the tubes are newish and you like the speaker. If you have to replace the speaker and tubes, its still a fair deal IMO, but that will cost a couple hundred. I'd personally see if he will keep the road case and drop the price a bit, but thats because I mostly drive my own car with my amp in a cushy spot when I play out - the road case would just be a hassle for me.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

How much would you ask off to get it without the road case? $200?
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on June 02, 2014, 06:04:30 PM
How much would you ask off to get it without the road case? $200?

Probably not that much, but I have no idea what they are worth used - at last $100, maybe $200 is my guess...
And I don't think he inflated the price of the amp much based on the fact that he has a road case - I think he wants to sell both easily.

Considering that, I'd:
- Think the most he might take off is $150 (hopeful guess)
- But I'd just ask how much he would take off if you didn't want the case
- I'd probably ask for $100 off if he made me make an offer
- If he offered me at least $50 off the price, I'd let him keep the road case and just take the amp.

$50 can get you some new tubes or even a speaker if you find a really good deal on Craigslist, while a road case just makes clutter unless your packing up a lot of gear in a truck and playing out a lot. IMO.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Jkendrick

After asking for more info, this is what I got back:

QuoteHi Jim, the speaker is original. Last year Ryan went through and replaced a bunch of stuff. There was an issue with the output power I believe he replaced part of that, new tubes.
Not sure about the caps.

I've worked with the tech, Ryan, he mentions and he does good work. Perhaps Ryan would have paperwork on the amp since the seller doesn't? I don't know, should I pursue?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on June 03, 2014, 09:43:24 AM
After asking for more info, this is what I got back:

QuoteHi Jim, the speaker is original. Last year Ryan went through and replaced a bunch of stuff. There was an issue with the output power I believe he replaced part of that, new tubes.
Not sure about the caps.

I've worked with the tech, Ryan, he mentions and he does good work. Perhaps Ryan would have paperwork on the amp since the seller doesn't? I don't know, should I pursue?

I'd still pursue - if he is a reputable tech, I'm sure the amp is still great and worth it. Only playing it can tell though.

I don't know what he means by output power - probably either the output or power transformer. If so, the amp is definitely not a collector item IMO, but that doesn't mean its not a great amp still and within a reasonable price range.

Your going to want a different speaker - I'm 95% sure of that. Its cool to have the old one I guess if you resell the amp to someone who really wants something as original as possible, but a speaker that old is probably pretty worn out and most people don't like those original speakers anyway.

Jkendrick

The seller is going to see if he can get more info on what was done. I have an Avatar cabinet with a Weber Cali 12" in it. I suppose I could just pull the speaker and swap out. If I bought this, I'd sell the UniValve so I wouldn't need the cabinet. The seller has been really accommodating and willing to let me try it out anytime with my own guitar and board. But it's tough for me to do that with my twin boys, so I want to get as much info on it before I do that.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Jkendrick on June 03, 2014, 02:14:07 PM
The seller is going to see if he can get more info on what was done. I have an Avatar cabinet with a Weber Cali 12" in it. I suppose I could just pull the speaker and swap out. If I bought this, I'd sell the UniValve so I wouldn't need the cabinet. The seller has been really accommodating and willing to let me try it out anytime with my own guitar and board. But it's tough for me to do that with my twin boys, so I want to get as much info on it before I do that.

Good plan.

Your Cali is 8ohm?
Bring the extension cab too maybe - plug it in instead of the internal speaker and see how you like it with the DR.

Buffered

Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Jkendrick

The seller finally heard from the tech. Here's what he just emailed me.

QuoteRyan told me he did do a cap job, screen resistors, and replaced the output transformer.  It has the original speaker.
Hope that helps,

I'll replace the speaker with my Cali. Think I should go play it? Anything here give anyone pause?

Buffered

Quote from: Jkendrick on June 11, 2014, 03:48:28 PM

QuoteRyan told me he did do a cap job, screen resistors, and replaced the output transformer.  It has the original speaker.
Hope that helps,

I'll replace the speaker with my Cali. Think I should go play it? Anything here give anyone pause?

Non-original Tranny would definitely affect the value. (That's what she said) If it's a mercury or heyboer I think you're fine though.

Jkendrick

Quote from: Buffered on June 11, 2014, 03:56:26 PM
Quote from: Jkendrick on June 11, 2014, 03:48:28 PM

Hope that helps,

Non-original Tranny would definitely affect the value. (That's what she said) If it's a mercury or heyboer I think you're fine though.

I'm going to call Ryan, the tech, tomorrow. I'll ask what the transformer is.  Anything I should specifically ask about the work he did on the caps and screen resistors? I've worked with him before, even fairly recently so I'll ask his overall opinion of the amp as well.

Buffered

Caps are pretty routine work, and it's actually a good thing they were recently done. Cap jobs are like $100+ depending on the amp

Jkendrick

Ryan said everything he did he kept it as close to stock as possible. He said, as an authroized Fender dealer, he got an output transformer from them. The part numbers he gave me are:

125A1A

and

He says those are two different numbers for the same part.

http://www.classictone.net/40-18002.html

Thoughts?

Otherwise he thought it was a good amp. He said the reverb was a little noisy, but no more than is typical in these amps.