Finally acquired a Mark III

Started by Down_With_Sco, June 12, 2014, 02:50:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Down_With_Sco

Found a '89 Blue stripe with all factory paperwork and two original foot switches. Recently serviced and has a Celestion G12. Simul-class, EQ and back controls.. has a fan (Howard Industries if that matters) too. Though I put the reverb up to 10 and it seemed still like a short reverb. Also, I was reading the manual and it suggested to use EL34's in the Class A slots, but don't many people use 4 6L6's? I think I'd like to go that route eventually. Beside's that, I'm really happy with the amp and relieved to finally own one... I'll probably pick up one of those replacement all-in-one swicthers from Switch Doctor.

I got a kick out the speaker connector being Monster but I guess as long as the wire is a good gauge and the connection is strong it's fine.

Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

Heady Jam Fan

Sweet!

Mesa Boogie retracted the statement about using 6L6's in place of the EL34's. I think a lot of people still do, but maybe with shorter tube-life? I like the sound the 2 EL34's add personally - a little squishiness, less deep bass, and smoother top-end. Trey has 4 6L6's but its unclear whether his amp is simulclass - if not, its supposed to have 4 6L6's (and he only uses two, with the half-power setting).

I guess Mesa liked those short reverb tanks. I keep mine set fairly high - I think Trey does as well based on the numbers written on the gaffers tape on his amp. Its not a beautiful reverb like a Fender, but functional and in the background.

I have a Switch Doctor switch - never had any problems with it, but I stopped using it because its clunky and adds extra wires. I just use a boost pedal for leads.

Which Celestion is in there? V30 or CL80? Both are great with that amp. I have an EVM12L in mine right now, but thinking about putting my Weber Blue Dog in there - I have another speaker on the way that I might put in my Fender.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Down_With_Sco

Yea it's a V30, sounds great. Ok, I was just trying to make sure the reverb wasn't damaged or whatever. I really only want a replacement switcher because I don't want to risk pulling on the pots frequently.

I was digging the lead channel alot. Made we want to play a bunch of Aerosmith and Rush. (I read somewhere that Lifeson used a Blue stripe at one point)
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

IamWILSON

Congrats on the great score!  I have a blue stripe  (forget what year) that is exactly the same as yours, except mine has the stock EVM12L, which I have absolutely no inclination to remove from the amp.  These are great amps, and can be had for not as much as one would think.  I'd have to be in quite the financial bind to get rid of mine.  

There are just soooooooo many great sounds to be attained from using these amps, especially between all 3 channels.  You can literally play through it for a year, and still not even have realized the capacity of these things.  I do suggest that when you get a tone dialed in that you really dig, to take pictures of your knobs/settings.  And then use a different guitar and go for something totally different, and then snap another picture.  The crazy thing is really how sensitive slight turns of some knobs are that can make or break getting it dialed in right, which can even be frustrating when you redial off of recorded settings from a picture and think, hey this doesn't sound quite like I remember, and then you slightly adjust one or two knobs by a micro-fraction of a turn and the tone you were looking for just punched you in the face!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on June 12, 2014, 07:17:32 PM
Yea it's a V30, sounds great. Ok, I was just trying to make sure the reverb wasn't damaged or whatever. I really only want a replacement switcher because I don't want to risk pulling on the pots frequently.

I was digging the lead channel alot. Made we want to play a bunch of Aerosmith and Rush. (I read somewhere that Lifeson used a Blue stripe at one point)

V30 is a great speaker - As Wilson says, the EVM12L is awesome too, but I go back and forth with Celestion type speakers when I want less (treble and) bass.

I wouldn't worry too much about using the push/pull pots. I use them regularly when I don't feel like getting out my footswitch. Although a Switch Doc is pretty cheap relatively.

The lead channel can be tons of fun when you want to play something a bit heavier. I mostly use it when I'm jamming with someone who has a big, hard-rock (or even metal) amp and I want to make them shut up about how it has the most killer tube distortion ;)

If the reverb sounds 'off' to you, maybe try a different reverb driver tube. I think those tubes get worked pretty hard, at least in Fender amps, and you might find the reverb is slightly livelier. Having said that, Mesa's reverb is not lively, but fairly dark and short. Your not gonna get that crazy SRV or Surf reverb, but it will still add depth and will stay out of the way of your actual playing. Its a utility and in the background (felt, not heard) like a good Jazz drummer.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Down_With_Sco

If I wanted to get a 2x12 cabinet or have one built and just use the combo as a head, what would be the best route? Probably try to still use the 8-ohm output, right? Wouldn't a 4-ohm cab be more necessary for 4x12's? With a cabinet I would use the amp in simul-class to get the full wattage and then go back to the combo package when using class A.

I've been hearing things about this company, I could use the 4-ohm: https://reverb.com/item/162146-avatar-traditional-premier-2x12-2014-black-silver

Any insight is appreciated.

Jkendrick

I've got a 1x12 cabinet that was custom built by Avatar about a decade ago. I think they were just getting started then. It looks different from the ones on their site now.  I think it's a great cabinet and they were really easy to work with then and coached me through the options. I bought the speaker directly from Weber and had it shipped to Avatar, but I think they have dealer deals in place now. Decade ago but I hope that helps.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Down_With_Sco on June 20, 2014, 05:37:05 PM
If I wanted to get a 2x12 cabinet or have one built and just use the combo as a head, what would be the best route? Probably try to still use the 8-ohm output, right? Wouldn't a 4-ohm cab be more necessary for 4x12's? With a cabinet I would use the amp in simul-class to get the full wattage and then go back to the combo package when using class A.

I've been hearing things about this company, I could use the 4-ohm: https://reverb.com/item/162146-avatar-traditional-premier-2x12-2014-black-silver

Any insight is appreciated.

If I remember correctly, the Mesa has 2 4ohm outputs and 1 8ohm. Just use whatever matches best:
- If you have 2 8ohm loads, one on each 4ohm output
- If you have 1 4ohm load on 1 4ohm output
- If you have 1 8ohm load, it goes with the 8ohm output
- If you have 1 16ohm load, it goes on the 8ohm output

As long as the speaker load is not more than double or less than half of what the output transformer expects, you should be ok.

Down_With_Sco

Looking into a 2x12 Road King cab... a 4x12 in later years if I feel like a rock star. I'm basically trying to go with the Santana setup. (combo speaker in the 8 ohm and then extension cabs in the 4 ohm) he only feeds one of the prs cabs from the mesa, the other is from the dumble or bludotone that he has in racks. I wish you could get those Eminence Fillmore KS100 speakers w/o buying a King Snake.. I'll probably put a Celestion Black Shadow in the combo if I can't find a Fillmore.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Guitar%20Cabinets/RoadKingCABS/RoadKingCabs-Main2012.htm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIv7IGdqHjQ

Buffered

I'm pretty sure you can order a Fillmore direct from Mesa, they did that with the V30 and their previous speaker (C-90?) if I get a chance to swing by my work this weekend I'll look at a price guide and make sure.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Down_With_Sco

Heady Jam Fan

Down_With_Sco

Dropped on the porch right before I went to the dentist, had enough time to pull it in and rip open the box.. got home and fired it up! Sounds great, didn't get to use the pedals since I had the fender amp and pedal board in the garage for tonight. But played the Les Paul and Strat right-in and used all three channels.
Would it be silly to run this 3x12 combination in Class A mode? I didn't try.

Poster

i have that 2x12 cab rebaffled with a walnut baffle and a 1x15 jbl it is ridiculous!

Down_With_Sco

Quote from: Poster on July 29, 2014, 08:37:41 PM
i have that 2x12 cab rebaffled with a walnut baffle and a 1x15 jbl it is ridiculous!

Nice.