Main Menu

Scratchy Microverb?

Started by Harpua Nutbag, June 13, 2014, 06:03:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Harpua Nutbag

Just grabbed a microverb and it seems to be scratchy? It's fine when the knobs are left alone but when making adjustment this thing is scratchy and poppy? Not sure if that the right way to describe it but it's loud. Should this thing be quiet when fiddling with the knobs or is this normal? Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheSeeker

Quote from: Harpua Nutbag on June 13, 2014, 06:03:50 PM
Just grabbed a microverb and it seems to be scratchy? It's fine when the knobs are left alone but when making adjustment this thing is scratchy and poppy? Not sure if that the right way to describe it but it's loud. Should this thing be quiet when fiddling with the knobs or is this normal? Thanks all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had the same problem with mine...just get some Deoxit contact cleaner and spray just a little into each pot.  Shazaaaammmm!!!!  Sounds brand new!!  You can get it at any Radioshack for about 5 bucks.
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

IamWILSON

Quote from: TheSeeker on June 13, 2014, 07:38:16 PM
I had the same problem with mine...just get some Deoxit contact cleaner and spray just a little into each pot.  Shazaaaammmm!!!!  Sounds brand new!!  You can get it at any Radioshack for about 5 bucks.

That is some good advice... I've had a couple of them and one was scratchy, one wasn't.  It really is no big deal as long as you can get it set to where it sounds fine when left alone.  But if it's getting to you, Deoxit is the way to go!
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Buffered

Quote from: IamWILSON on June 13, 2014, 08:26:39 PM
Quote from: TheSeeker on June 13, 2014, 07:38:16 PM

That is some good advice... I've had a couple of them and one was scratchy, one wasn't.  It really is no big deal as long as you can get it set to where it sounds fine when left alone.  But if it's getting to you, Deoxit is the way to go!

Always good to have a can around, cleaning switches and whatnot
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

cactuskeeb

I would reiterate the above in saying you have to buy several of them to find a good one.  You can also swap out the chips inside as they tend to range from TI (Texas Instruments) to unknown Korean type.