Main Menu

NGD: Carvin H2T

Started by Buffered, July 26, 2014, 05:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buffered

Hey all,

Picked this up off Reverb a few weeks ago and thought I'd share it here since it's a semi-hollow and all. Here's the specs:

Standard alder body with flamed maple top (chambered body)
    2 X 4 compact headstock (black front, alder back)
    25.5" scale ebony fingerboard with white dot inlays
    24 nickel jumbo frets
    Semi-flat 20" fingerboard radius
    Sperzel locking tuners (black)
    Holdsworth H22N & H22T humbuckers (black)
    Master volume and tone, 3-way pickup selector, two mini toggle switches to split each pickup to single coil
    Wilkinson Tremolo with TS-1 Trem Stabilizer installed for tuning/sustain stability

Pretty fun guitar to play, the radius is really comfortable. The neck is pretty large, but no larger than a 50's LP (my Studio has the 50's neck) You can play big jazz chords without getting tired fingers and it's very resonant. The pickups are really good too, a bit better than the 57's in my ES-339. More clarity I guess. I'm using the extra 2 frets a lot, and it's wicked light and sustains great! The only mods I am considering is to swap the switch that goes to single to divide the pickups into parallel mode.

Here's how it sounds through my modest recording setup:

https://soundcloud.com/thomphunk/sets/carvin-h2t

Quick clips, no editing and plenty of clams :)

Obligatory picture

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Poster

How is that wilkinson treating you? Maybe block that bitch down? Kinda a famous carvin issue, see the carvin museum posts... Those are great fucking guitars. I really enjoy their bolts too, and especially the ST300's that are string thru. It's basically a suhr with junky pcb electronics (unless you buy one new which you shouldn't, and ask for normal electronics) they love to make everything with the spandex clad rocker in mind.

Got pretty ripped on hash 2 years ago and went into that home store in la. Really cool and they didn't mind I was Stoney baloni mcretard. Not even a little bit, thumbs up

Buffered

Quote from: Poster on July 26, 2014, 09:05:33 PM
How is that wilkinson treating you? Maybe block that bitch down? Kinda a famous carvin issue, see the carvin museum posts... Those are great fucking guitars. I really enjoy their bolts too, and especially the ST300's that are string thru. It's basically a suhr with junky pcb electronics (unless you buy one new which you shouldn't, and ask for normal electronics) they love to make everything with the spandex clad rocker in mind.

Got pretty ripped on hash 2 years ago and went into that home store in la. Really cool and they didn't mind I was Stoney baloni mcretard. Not even a little bit, thumbs up

That's funny you mention the trem, as the previous owner installed a trem stabilizer and I haven't found a reason to remove it yet. The switches look newer, and since it's from '97 they're probably replaced. I ohpe the pots are too, I hear that Carvin's have lackluster electronics but yet again it sounds great so why fix what's broken? Carvin does make shreddy stuff, I think this along with the Scott Henderson is their most reserved look!
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Poster

agreed. they just got into letting people swap pickups like last year. very cool! more people should be buying those used guitars. very acceptable instruments at very reasonable second hand prices. locking tuners standard, great woods, I approve!