Purpose of a 2x12

Started by tsbot, August 02, 2014, 06:27:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

I put this on TGP as well - but welcome your opinions here!

Hey all,

Quick question. I play through a Vintage Sound Vintage 22 (think Deluxe Reverb). I've always wanted a 2x12 cab styled like the Hard Truckers (or Anastasio's cabs). I'm a basement player and occassionally play with a drummer, but even then the Vintage Sound is plenty loud. I've played and still have a Fender Twin and like the fullness to it (not the wattage or cleanliness to it).

Will I get that fullness from a 2x12 - not looking for more volume or stage presence - just that 3d sound, if I'm describing it right. Would that do it or will I blow my ears out with that? What does a 2x12 do in this scenario?

Thanks for your opinions and help!

Heady Jam Fan

I tend to think a Deluxe has more 'depth' or '3D' than a Twin, but as far as fullness, a 212 will add some of that.

However, a Twin has a much bigger output transformer and uses 6L6 tubes. Both of these components contribute significantly to the amount of bass and how deep the bass goes.

IMO part of the beauty of a Deluxe is that it DOESN'T have those huge low-lows. I personally find 6L6's to sound sterile compared to 6V6's (thought I've been switching between NOS 6V6's and JJ 6V6S's which are kinda in between a 6V6 and 6L6). Those extended lows of a Twin can sound good at home, but are often impeding on the bass player's (or even kick-drum's) territory when playing with a band - IMHO of course. Not to mention, the big OT and 212 format is heavy.

Other things that make a difference are:
- The room, particularly a nice wood floor. Don't angle the amp up, don't put it right next to the wall, stand 10+ feet away.
- Larger magnet size on speakers. 40oz is on the small size IMO, 50oz is 'Goldilocks' (just right), 80oz is too heavy and too much bass IMO.
- Other aspects of the speakers make a different too. Hemp has a meaty low-midrange that will sound warmer with smoother treble.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

tsbot

Thanks for your input heady - good points on the Twin.  When I put a little more bass (like 3-4) on the Vintage Sound, it seems to distort fast and muddy up - whereas the twin is no problem.  Not that I want all that bass, but playing alone to the looper it's nice to fill the sound out.  I currently run my loops through the twin and then jam through the vintage sound.  But just playing songs and such the vintage sound is the main amp - trying to get best of both worlds with that setup. 

Heady Jam Fan

Yeah, I hear ya. A 212 will probably sound bigger.
Bring your VS to any guitar shop and plug into a 212 (or a couple different ones).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

I think where you're standing in relation to the amp has a lot to do with the 3D toans too. When EQing I always make an adjustment and take 10 steps back because it just sounds so much different.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation