New Amp - Peavey Delta Blues

Started by express50express, August 11, 2014, 10:55:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

express50express

Just got a killer deal on a used Peavey Delta Blues. I'm really enjoying it, needed just a fresh set of tubes. First amp for me with a 15" speaker. The stock Marvel speaker is perfect, and it given that this amp is from the 90's, it's pretty nicely broken in already. The amp requires 4 x el84 and 3 x 12ax7's. I was a little hesitant at first, to pull the trigger on a Peavey amp, but this thing is killer. The reverb isn't as good as fender, but it's good enough. The clean channel is unreal though. I've owned a lot of fenders and boogies, and this thing sits in between a twin and a deluxe, but at 30watts, but with more vox chime. I was also surprised at how great the lead channel was on this amp, and the volume is very useable. Every note is smooth as glass. Takes pedals great. The only thing I wish this amp had was a Standby switch, but I think that could be installed. I'm also not playing any gigs where I would want the standby, so I it's probably not a huge deal. Curious if anyone has owned/played this amp, and what they liked and disliked, and also what tubes they would recommend.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: express50express on August 11, 2014, 10:55:45 AM
Just got a killer deal on a used Peavey Delta Blues. I'm really enjoying it, needed just a fresh set of tubes. First amp for me with a 15" speaker. The stock Marvel speaker is perfect, and it given that this amp is from the 90's, it's pretty nicely broken in already. The amp requires 4 x el84 and 3 x 12ax7's. I was a little hesitant at first, to pull the trigger on a Peavey amp, but this thing is killer. The reverb isn't as good as fender, but it's good enough. The clean channel is unreal though. I've owned a lot of fenders and boogies, and this thing sits in between a twin and a deluxe, but at 30watts, but with more vox chime. I was also surprised at how great the lead channel was on this amp, and the volume is very useable. Every note is smooth as glass. Takes pedals great. The only thing I wish this amp had was a Standby switch, but I think that could be installed. I'm also not playing any gigs where I would want the standby, so I it's probably not a huge deal. Curious if anyone has owned/played this amp, and what they liked and disliked, and also what tubes they would recommend.

I've been considering one of these for a minute.  Does it have an FX loop?  How's the lead channel?
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

express50express

I've been considering one of these for a minute.  Does it have an FX loop?  How's the lead channel?
[/quote]

Yes it does, and the lead channel is great. This amp is a sleeper. I wouldn't go so far to say that it's better than any fender, but it is a great value / tone, and you can get these used for 300-400. New 600-700.

The 15" speaker is great as is. I have heard of people replacing the speaker, but it wasn't needed. If you get a new model, the tubes may not be anything special. But with a fresh set of JJ's, that is all you will really need.

Poster

Mine lit on fire. Sounded great before that. Plastic jacks.

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Poster on August 12, 2014, 08:29:03 PM
Mine lit on fire. Sounded great before that.

What about after?  Was it too warm for you? ;D
Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Poster

you fry a tube in that thing and its toast,

express50express

Maybe. I had some bad tubes and nothing was out of the ordinary. I simply replaced the tubes. Listen, I've had Deluxe Reverbs that have almost caught on fire. Anything is possible, but very unlikely.