Show Us Your Pedal Board Progression

Started by Jkendrick, September 09, 2014, 12:34:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jkendrick

I've had quite a few changes to my rig over the past year as I've tried to get back into to playing live. The first change was going more clean or polished and getting rid of my DIY pedal board, though I did love the DIY nature of it. Eventually I decided I needed a new amp and that brought major changes in my pedal choices. I finally  ended up going back to the tried and true Tubescreamers, though the Keeley TS9 has always been a standard. The best purchase I made was the EQ pedal. Anyone serious about tone should have at least one IMO. Here's a look at the progression:

1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Buffered

Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Nice Kendrick!

Here ya go!

Recent changes:
- Put my GE9 and AD9 in a separate single TB Loop Switcher that runs through the FX Loop of my Badcat Unleash. It sounds better that way, especially because I run my amp where it is just slightly overdriven - right at its sweet spot - and the boost (GE9) adds volume rather than making the amp more overdriven.
- I'm getting a TS5 this week that I'm going to modify to function as a better clean boost. I'm thinking about just clipping the diodes and decreasing the value of the resistor on the drive potentiometer that sets the minimum amount of overdrive. If I need to replace the Si Diodes with LEDs, I'll order a couple from Mouser. I think it will be kinda like the Comp-Cut on the Fulldrive, but more true to the tone of an Ibanez.
- Aside from thinking it would be a fun activity, the reason I got a TS to mod is that using my guitar's volume knob gets me about 90% clean and my clean doesn't quite have the umph of my overdrive (especially at lower volumes). I also have a backup speaker that is custom built and that last 10% of overdrive on my clean signal really comes through - the speaker is hemp and I just finished doping it, but you still really hear the harmonics/overdrive with it, while my Weber Blue Dog is darker (more midrange focused) and sounds cleaner.
- As far as my amp, I Blackfaced it, which sounds much better, and I'm figuring out which NOS tubes sound best in each position (I'm nearly there with that too).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

picture_of_nectar

I don't really have progression pic, but here is my board. I am quite happy with it.

Chain is:
Vintage Thomas Organ Crybaby - Proton Envelope - Ross Comp - TS9 Silver - Timmy - AM Sunbender Fuzz - '74 Phase 90 - AM Mini Chorus - Fullton SupaTrem - AM RDX20 Delay - WET Reverb - TC Poly Tune - Boomerang 4

The Timmy and Ross are always on, I just love what they do for my tone. AM Fuzz is a new pedal for me and its quite awesome for screaming high gain tones. My '65 Princeton Reverb has amazing Reverb so I just use the WET for ambient jams, or if I am using my '59 Bassman clone it's always on for slight reverb.

Pedals that are through the Loopmaster are - AM Fuzz - Phase 90 - AM Chorus - SupaTrem - AM Delay

I have been thinking about adding a Whammy to the chain, recently played with a friends Whammy 2 and it sure is a fun pedal.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on September 09, 2014, 09:39:22 AM
Nice Kendrick!

Here ya go!

Recent changes:
- Put my GE9 and AD9 in a separate single TB Loop Switcher that runs through the FX Loop of my Badcat Unleash. It sounds better that way, especially because I run my amp where it is just slightly overdriven - right at its sweet spot - and the boost (GE9) adds volume rather than making the amp more overdriven.
- I'm getting a TS5 this week that I'm going to modify to function as a better clean boost. I'm thinking about just clipping the diodes and decreasing the value of the resistor on the drive potentiometer that sets the minimum amount of overdrive. If I need to replace the Si Diodes with LEDs, I'll order a couple from Mouser. I think it will be kinda like the Comp-Cut on the Fulldrive, but more true to the tone of an Ibanez.
- Aside from thinking it would be a fun activity, the reason I got a TS to mod is that using my guitar's volume knob gets me about 90% clean and my clean doesn't quite have the umph of my overdrive (especially at lower volumes). I also have a backup speaker that is custom built and that last 10% of overdrive on my clean signal really comes through - the speaker is hemp and I just finished doping it, but you still really hear the harmonics/overdrive with it, while my Weber Blue Dog is darker (more midrange focused) and sounds cleaner.
- As far as my amp, I Blackfaced it, which sounds much better, and I'm figuring out which NOS tubes sound best in each position (I'm nearly there with that too).

I just added a TS5 that I modified to be a cleaner, louder TS.

Since I moved into my girlfriend's apartment, I can't play loud enough to really test it at home, so I'll see if I like it at band practice. It seems cool thus far - seems to retain the voice of an Ibanez TS, but with a better clean tone than using my guitar's volume knob to clean up an unmodded TS. I only did two mods so far:
- removed one leg of each Si Diode in the clipping circuit.
- decreased the 51k resistor in series with the drive knob to 10k (more clean at the bottom end of the drive knob).

The pedal is clean until 9 o'clock on the drive knob, then you year the IC distorting. I might add LED's in place of the Si Diodes if:
- I hear any artifacts in the note's decay because of the IC
- If I notice the IC clipping (which can kinda sound like a Boss Metal Zone).
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9