Main Menu

new recoding rig

Started by Stiles12, September 10, 2014, 08:12:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stiles12

Im sorry I dont have any pictures as of yet but I promise I will get some up as soon as im finished building.

I am putting a new rig together that I am using for recoding purposes only. I wanted to try and get some new sounds in my life and do some research on some interesting pedals and amps that would really make my sound different for recoding. I have been doing a few demos for a few different bands and also have been giving some online lessons.

The board I am using is a trailer trash pro series which I got new from a friend who is a real good friend with someone in there company. (may be the owner, im not sure) anyway it was a pretty good deal and the board is great. I had him wire in two jacks for input output and also wire-in a pedal power 4 plus two I think.

The pedals I have been using are interesting becuase in my rig that I am playing out with currently, I have it set very much like a "replica" trey rig. I love what I am playing out with but I wanted to try something different. (modded DR amp, VP, rmc3, 2 ts9, bi comp, bcv, boomerang, leslie sim, trem) Not to mention I am in an apartment in hoboken and the neighbors would certainly evict me if I had all that gear running loud enough to get a decent recording.

Right now my chain for the new rig is: Tonebone Trimode (TC Electronics Nova Delay in channel two loop) --> 2x TS9 --> Keeley 4 knob --> Strymon Mobius --> Qtron --> Black Cat Vibe--> Strymon Timeline --> Strymon Big Sky

All of these FX are running through a Gig Rig Loop pedal. Quatermaster I think its called but Im contiplating going to a G2 if I can find the extra room on the board.

I tried out a lot of different amps and preamps alike to try and get the sound I had in my head. I looked at bludotone amps which I really liked, some of the fuchs stuff, I even contiplated looking at an ethos od but none of them could replace my modded groove tube trio. I had it modded last year by andy fuchs for a few bucks and he did so much to help the sound. I almost always leave it on the clean channel. we fattened it up quite bit and there is just nothing that my money can buy that really could replace it. He also in conjuction with the trio modded a VHT 2:90 that I have had for a while to match. Its a great sounding pair.

That all gets run to a SPL Transducer. The output of transducer hits a M ONE XL to add a little bit of room reverb and it makes it sound much more like a micd cab in my opinon. and then on to the interface. The interface is a Presonus beacuse of the price and ease of use, I never see a whole lot of difference in interfaces today although many people say there is a ton of difference in sound and tracking. Im sticking with my presonus for now it works just fine.

I switched from protools to logic not for any reason other than I can understand it better.

The rig sounds better than I thought it would, I Just got the tonebone and the strymon gear and I am really diggin it. The strymon gear is so powerful and cleans up so well. There are some wacky sounds that you would never use but for a studio setting you can dial in almost anything. as far as the tonebone, I was affraid it was going to be to distortion-y which I didnt really want. When I got it I was shocked. They say on all the forums and reviews that it is like having a marshall stack at your feet, I very much disagree, you can dial it in and how ever you have it set it really sounds like over driven fender amps.

Anyway, Just ranting as I am getting pretty excited about some of the new additions. I will post some pictures when I get everything up and running.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Heady Jam Fan

Sweet!

- What mods have you done to your DR? I recently restored mine and I've done some basic mods, but kept it pretty true to a BF DR.

- I also use a Presonus interface. A Fire Studio, which has 8 inputs so I can record every instrument in my band on a separate track at the same time. I think the Presonus is impossible to beat for the money and the preamps sound very nice - much clearer and better instrument separation than the M-Audio unit I had from years ago.

- So your not running through a power amp / speaker, but rather a preamp to DI? I got a Tech 21 Blonde recently as a backup in case my amp fails. I can run straight through it to FOH for gigs, or through the Tech 21 and into my Badcat Unleash and through my guitar speaker. I've thought about using it for home practice and recording, but I can't find the 1/8>1/4" adapter for my headphones since I moved in with my girlfriend. I've also been restoring my amp, so I wanted to play through it for home practice as well. When I have tried the Tech 21, it sounds decent - of course not as good as my DR.

Congrats on the new rig!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9