Help with Rift chords at end of piano solo

Started by v01gt, December 16, 2014, 11:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

v01gt

Hey guys,

First post, thanks for all the little nuggets of Trey goodness I've found here. I was wondering if anyone can help me with the chords that trey plays at the end of the piano solo in Rift. I'm good up until the F (technically I think its an F/A chord possibly?)...

C E C D C D G C G C F

After the F I just can't seem to figure it out. Trey is kinda buried in the mix and I'm having trouble following the tab. I've searched high and low, watched practically every video of Rift on youtube (they are always focused on Page so you can never see what Trey is doing), and can't seem to figure out what he plays. If anyone could shed some light on this I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

Walker done done

My good friend Josh from the awesome Phish tribute band 7Below out of Connecticut was kind enough to put together a quick video for you!

From the F, it looks like what Josh is playing here is: E  Bb°  C°  D°  Eb°  F°  G°  Ab°

He admittedly isn't 100% on this (nor am I and will continue to work on it) but that's what he plays.

Thanks again to Josh for sending this over, and if you're in the Connecticut/Mass area, go check out 7Below, they're fantastic!  https://www.facebook.com/7belowphish
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Lephty

I have been trying to get these chords nailed down for 10 years, maybe more. This morning I took some audio editing software, slowed it down, and isolated each individual chord, and this is what I think it is (but I'm definitely still not positive). This picks up right after the F chord that the OP mentions, where the piano solo basically ends and this progression takes over. It's 2 beats on each chord (reading L to R and top to bottom), so it goes by pretty quick. I end up playing most of these as bar chords, though I didn't indicate the bar in the diagrams. And I pretty much just keep it on the inner 4 strings of the guitar:

As much as I'd like to know for sure what these chords are, I'd be even more curious to know what the hell Trey was thinking when he wrote it.

+1 on Seven Below BTW. Great band. They nail the tunes and throw down nice jams too. Funny story--I happened to meet Keith (7B's drummer) last year through some mutual friends. A bunch of us hung out for a couple of hours before one of the Dick's shows, and it neither Keith or I bothered to mention that we were in Phish tribute bands...we didn't figure it out until we became friends on facebook a few days later.