Trey and GD50 Gear

Started by tsbot, June 24, 2015, 06:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

Also, does anyone know why Trey's guitars had all the pickups reversed in position? There must have been some logical sound reason for this. Maybe AO can weigh in on this?
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: raisingfreen on July 08, 2015, 02:35:06 PM
Also, does anyone know why Trey's guitars had all the pickups reversed in position? There must have been some logical sound reason for this. Maybe AO can weigh in on this?

I've tried both ways. I went back to the "normal" way because it is standard. However, I think the screw slug can be slightly hotter and is usually the coil that is on (not sent to ground) in single-coil mode. So this means that reversing the pickups makes the neck and bridge coil sound a bit more similar. I've done this on guitars that sounded too warm on the neck and too bright on the bridge. IIRC, it also really changes how the guitar sounds when the pickup selector is in the middle setting & the coil-tap (single-coil mode) is on.

My guess is this was the best way for Trey to get that "middle-position" Garcia/GD tone.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

Quote from: raisingfreen on July 08, 2015, 02:33:16 PM
Just FYI, In looking at the pedal board Trey had on top of of his rack... Initially I think the consensus was he had a "Hughes & Kettner Tube Rotosphere" when in actuality it is a "Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor" if you look close or look at the actual products online in pics the Rotosphere has three foot switches and the Tube Factor has two. The one on his each has only two switches. In any case just an observation. That plus I heard no leslie style sound slow or fast within any of the shows. The Univibe seemed to be used however. Wonder why the addition of this as well as the dual TS9s per usual?

Brad Sarno said it was the h&k tube factor and he was using it for his cleaner dirt.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

tsbot

Here is a link that has Brad talking about Trey's gear and speakers - pretty neat stuff - only 3 pages so its all worth reading (for the most part).

http://www.rukind.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=419&t=17189