How often Trey works on his rig....Rolling Stone

Started by ColForbin, June 25, 2015, 11:07:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

I'm sure some of you have probably already read this article from Rolling Stone:  

But what I found kind of amusing was this exerpt:  http://www.rollingstone.com/music/features/trey-anastasio-on-phishs-bond-his-man-cave-and-the-deads-big-gigs-20150624?page=5

"I rented a little studio in New York – a tiny, windowless space with garbage all over the place. It's my man cave. The last time I worked on my guitar rig was, like, 1989. Since 1989 or something, my amp, my rig, has traveled on a truck, so I never, ever practice through my amp. It's only onstage when I show up and when I get to sound check. I want to make some noise, and work on my guitar sound, and no one ever lets me. I'm not allowed to. I'll start cranking the guitar and somebody will say, "Hey we're focusing this light, get off the stage."

So when I'm home, I play through a little Fender amp, and that's fine, but I never get to play through my rig. When I got off the road last, I rented a tiny space, and blocked it for about two and a half months, and I told my crew guys to set my whole rig up in this little, tiny, windowless room, and every day I wake up, walk down the street, go to this room, and lock myself in there for five hours a day. And I changed the kind of speakers that I use, and I got new tubes, and some new effects, so I'm like a little kid in there playing with my amp [laughs]. It's what I do every day. The other thing is that I had to learn 90 Dead songs. So I basically go in there, and I learn Dead songs, and then spend five hours playing. That's pretty much what I've been doing, I've been going deaf. It's been really fun."

Two thoughts:

• He hasn't worked on his rig since 1989??!!  I haven't worked on my rig since,....last night.  And two nights before that.
  • New tubes, new effects, new speakers ..... LET THE RAMPANT SPECULATION BEGIN!!!

Sorry if someone else posted this already, I haven't been around much these days.  But it's summer, peace guys.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Down_With_Sco

Trey is the king of leaving out details.... lol since 89.

I'm interested in the tube/speaker swaps tho.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo