Red stripe users...

Started by TheSeeker, August 05, 2015, 05:46:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSeeker

Hey guys, I just got a mkiii red stripe!! Woohoo!! I've been having some trouble finding a good treyish tone. I've gotten close, but no matter what is sounds muffled, and if I increase the presence it sounds ice picky. I'm using 2 ts-9's (modded to 808 specs and no silver) into a black Ross comp. Would any of you guys that own a mkiii mind sharing your settings? I've tried lots of combinations of settings, but maybe I'm missing something really obvious 😕
PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: TheSeeker on August 05, 2015, 05:46:21 PM
Hey guys, I just got a mkiii red stripe!! Woohoo!! I've been having some trouble finding a good treyish tone. I've gotten close, but no matter what is sounds muffled, and if I increase the presence it sounds ice picky. I'm using 2 ts-9's (modded to 808 specs and no silver) into a black Ross comp. Would any of you guys that own a mkiii mind sharing your settings? I've tried lots of combinations of settings, but maybe I'm missing something really obvious 😕

I posted my settings on another thread, which also has pics of Trey's settings. I think what sounds ice-picky at home cuts through live.

My treble is at 5 and my presence is at 2.5-3. Mids are at 5.5, bass 2.5, and volume is at 8.

Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

TheSeeker

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 05, 2015, 07:17:53 PM

I posted my settings on another thread, which also has pics of Trey's settings. I think what sounds ice-picky at home cuts through live.

My treble is at 5 and my presence is at 2.5-3. Mids are at 5.5, bass 2.5, and volume is at 8.

Thanks Heady, I'll try that out this weekend! Do you use the standard Mesa tubes in yours? If not, what do you have in there and did you have to re-bias it?

PRS SE Semi-Hollow>Korg Tuner>Whammy ii>TS-9 Silver>TS-9 Silver>Ross Compressor>Delay>Ditto>Microverb>CAE Black Cat Vibe>Fender HRD (Weber Blue Dog)

IamWILSON

I have a blue stripe and haven't used it in a little while, plus I know the knobs are set for my strat instead of when I was doing the phish cover band/trey sound thing 5 years ago, so I won't bother posting settings, but I will remind you of how sensitive very slight turns of those knobs are, so it's good to start from any suggested setting and just slightly tweak knobs by the most minimal turns.  To expand on it, you can notice how the knobs have a little give before the pots start turning, so even seeing pics or using the suggested settings won't be exact per each different amp.  I will say that I do remember finding that as the volume gets turned up louder, you start getting some more warmth from the tubes and all that really balances out better with treble issues.  Unfortunately that is not great for your neighbors, and especially your own ears. 
Guitars: Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AS80, Ibanez AF75, Malden Holly Keyser [SD Jazz (neck), SD '59 (bridge)], Carlo Robelli USH-500HB, Martin DC-1E ('98), and a Peavey Grind 5-string bass.

Effects in chain: Whammy II (dry out to Korg Tuner), RMC6, TS-9 ('82), TS-808 ('81), Ross Compressor, Fulltone SupaTrem, Fulltone DejaVibe2, TC Elec Nova Repeater, Ibanez Digital Modulation Delay III (DML20), Boomerang+, Alesis Microverb I, H&K Rotosphere MkII --> amps.

Amps: Mesa Boogie MkIII Blue Stripe, Egnator Rebel 20 head > Mesa Boogie Road King 2x12 cab, Fender Blues Jr. Humboldt, Marshall VS102R, Fender Champion 600, and Fender Frontman 25R.

Effects currently not in chain: Ross Compressor (MIT), Keeley Compressor (2-knob), Keeley TS-9, and TS-9 ('82).

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: TheSeeker on August 07, 2015, 09:13:24 AM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on August 05, 2015, 07:17:53 PM

Thanks Heady, I'll try that out this weekend! Do you use the standard Mesa tubes in yours? If not, what do you have in there and did you have to re-bias it?

I have Ruby tubes throughout the whole thing. You don't have to bias these amps, but rather buy tubes in the right "range." You should get the ones in the "average Distortion" rating, like from DougsTubes. You can also add a comment to your order that its for a Mark III Red Stripe.

Also, I didn't post my master volume, which I keep around 2, sometimes just under (matches my band and just happens to be the same setting in those pics of Trey's amp).

What speaker have you been using? The V30 sounds a bit rough when you alone in a small room, but in a venue with a band, it sounds great. I'm currently using a Steamboat Hemp 100, which is an old G12-80 (like the Celestion C90) with a Tone Tubby hemp cone. It has the British mids without quite as much bite as the V30. The Hemp cone is a bit smoother, but it has more low-mids than a paper cone. To match the V30, I slightly adjust the GEQ: nudge the low mids down and the upper mids up.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Hoody

My standard settings are pretty similar to Heady's.  I basically borrowed from the one's posted of Trey's and then altered them a bit to get to where i like them.  I'll usually pull Volume, and sometimes have bass at 0-1.  Usually pull treble.

The one sound i actually love out of this amp though is using lead for Rhythm.  It gives that parked wah quality and is really unique and cool.  I just turn the lead drive way down.  To me it sounds like the tone he had on the Island Tour (yes, i know he used a different amp and totally different settings).  But that's one of my favorite tones and this, other than my Blackface Deluxe w/ Carruth mods gets the closest.

My one suggestion w/ this amp is to use a 2x12 cab.  It really gives it a nice fullness, and cuts the ice pick and gives a booming sound.  I use a v30 and cannibas rex.

interested if others have settings they like, i've messed around w/ many and this amp has infinite options.