Reverb and Mark3 (RV-7)

Started by Helping Friendly, January 10, 2016, 12:58:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

I know alot of you guys love your Mark 3. I have been loving mine as well lately . But I have always felt the reverb sucks. So I just bought an RV-7. Anyone ever used one in the loop with the boogie?  If so what can I expect?  I'm hoping it doesn't mess with the dry signal while playing clean or overdriven. I thought I heard that someone noticed a degrade in tone with dirt in front it. But I can't remember if it was with the rv-7 or one of the other reverb pedals that were on my radar. I'm not looking for a lot of verb,  but I am looking forward to be able to "dial in" a more tailored reverb tone than the limited stock verb on the Mark iii. Does anyone else use a different reverb with there Boogies or any other tube amps?

Heady Jam Fan

I used to run a reverb in front of my Mark III and I just made sure to keep it clean. However, I like the Mark III's reverb just fine and I rather not have an extra pedal. Having said that, there might be some things you could do to improve the reverb.

I think those 12AX7's get worked pretty hard. Try another in its place and see if you get some liveliness back.

The original reverb tank/pan might be beat. Not only might the pan be worn out after 30-years, in particular the springs might have sagged a bit, but those pans often had foam in them that biodegrades, sticking to the springs and deadening their reverberations. This seems to be common for old Mesa's - cleaning the foam out sometimes helps, but I found that the original Accutronics pan in my Mark III was just worn beyonds its year. Some people will fix them, but I just replaced it with a MOD pan. For $20 - a lot less than a reverb pedal - my amp reverb sounds damn good IMO, and I'll be set for the next 30-years!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

seriesnuns

I second the reverb pan. I got a new one from Mesa and it sounds pretty good. I used to have it set at 5 now 3 is plenty.

I think the reverb tube is shared with the phase inverter tube the last one before the power section.

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 10, 2016, 08:33:29 AM
I used to run a reverb in front of my Mark III and I just made sure to keep it clean. However, I like the Mark III's reverb just fine and I rather not have an extra pedal. Having said that, there might be some things you could do to improve the reverb.

I think those 12AX7's get worked pretty hard. Try another in its place and see if you get some liveliness back.

The original reverb tank/pan might be beat. Not only might the pan be worn out after 30-years, in particular the springs might have sagged a bit, but those pans often had foam in them that biodegrades, sticking to the springs and deadening their reverberations. This seems to be common for old Mesa's - cleaning the foam out sometimes helps, but I found that the original Accutronics pan in my Mark III was just worn beyonds its year. Some people will fix them, but I just replaced it with a MOD pan. For $20 - a lot less than a reverb pedal - my amp reverb sounds damn good IMO, and I'll be set for the next 30-years!

Right on. For 20 bucks it's definitely worth a replacement.  Did you get a 2 spring or 3 spring?  Do you remember the correct part number? I know tanks need certain ohms for certain amps. Thanks Heady!

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: seriesnuns on January 10, 2016, 10:04:56 AM
I second the reverb pan. I got a new one from Mesa and it sounds pretty good. I used to have it set at 5 now 3 is plenty.

I think the reverb tube is shared with the phase inverter tube the last one before the power section.

The Reverb tube is V4, next to the RCA terminals for the reverb wire. I don't think it plays a role in phase inversion / power amp - V5 does that. In fact, the amp will work without a V4 tube plugged in at all, you just won't have reverb.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on January 10, 2016, 11:42:09 AM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 10, 2016, 08:33:29 AM

Right on. For 20 bucks it's definitely worth a replacement.  Did you get a 2 spring or 3 spring?  Do you remember the correct part number? I know tanks need certain ohms for certain amps. Thanks Heady!

Sure thing!
3 Spring.

Here is some info:

MOD 9AB2A1B Reverb Tank (cut an pasted here from my Amazon order)
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=MOD+9AB2A1B+Reverb+Tank

And a Google search for some info:
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=mesa+9AB2A1b+mark

Helping Friendly

Thanks Heady! I'm gona order one right now. I'm also looking around to replace the RCA cables. That can't hurt either.  The connections are feeling pretty loose so..

I'll report back when they arrive. Maybe I can just use the rv-7 for an ambience texture for leads occasionally?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on January 10, 2016, 02:12:56 PM
Thanks Heady! I'm gona order one right now. I'm also looking around to replace the RCA cables. That can't hurt either.  The connections are feeling pretty loose so..

I'll report back when they arrive. Maybe I can just use the rv-7 for an ambience texture for leads occasionally?

The RV7 is a nice reverb - very Fendery. I'm sure you could find a use for it, or someone else who could use it if you find the new reverb pan does the trick for you.

I went to replace the RCA cables and ended up staying with the crappy old original ones. Since I have a head, they have to have short, or right angle, plugs to fit into the reverb pan. The first replacement ones I tried actually picked up a lot of interference (noise). The second pair was the very typical kind you find at any electrics store (black wire, red and white plugs) and it just barely wouldn't fit in the pan. The original cables sound fine, but I had the same thought as you originally (couldn't hurt to spend a few bucks on an 'upgrade').

Helping Friendly

Do you remember what type cable gave you noise issues?  I was actually worrying if fancy cable would be overkill and effect it in a bad way  ???

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on January 10, 2016, 07:05:13 PM
Do you remember what type cable gave you noise issues?  I was actually worrying if fancy cable would be overkill and effect it in a bad way  ???

I can't remember. It wasn't super fancy - something affordable with right angle plugs and 1.5 feet long.

A lot of people just go with regular, vintage/Fender style wires with the metal shielding on the outside.. There are a few eBay dealers that can match any specific length wire. They cost a fair bit more than a "radio shack" generic black wire, red & white plugs, but are popular with guitarists.

I don't think you need anything too fancy though really - good shielding, low capacitance.

Walker done done

Reverb definitely lacks in the MKIII.  I had mine worked on to improve it, and also use the Microverb to add a bit more.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Walker done done on January 13, 2016, 01:17:00 PM
Reverb definitely lacks in the MKIII.  I had mine worked on to improve it, and also use the Microverb to add a bit more.

What did you do to try to improve it?

I was always fine with the Mark III reverb, although I definitely used to agree with your sentiment - that it lacks. I used to describe it as an "in the background, utility reverb" unlike a Fender where the reverb can really be a focal point. However, I think the reverb on my Mark III sounds great now that I replaced the pan. I think my pan had been going bad for years and finally got to the point I couldn't ignore it and just blame it on Mesa's "just meh" reverb. When I got the new pan, I played through the old one for a few minutes and then swapped in the new one. Both my fiance and I were really surprised how good it sounded. I mean, it doesn't match the lush and splashy reverb of a Fender, but it was lively and dimensional. Albeit, the reverb trail on the pan's used in Mark III amps is shorter than most guitar amps, which would impact a comparison to a Fender.