Main Menu

NEW RIG

Started by atk1, December 11, 2015, 04:52:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

atk1

Here's my new rig. 9 months in the making. I still need to put it though its paces and get levels set, etc.. Stupid job keeps me away.

Anyone putting all their pedals in individual loops? I have the 2 TS9's and the comp individually separated.. Wondered if that makes a tone difference not having them strung together?

Also, the Boomerang is picking up massive radio waves.. Anyone know how to kill that?

Much obliged!
]

]
[]
[]

Hoody

What's the amp, cab set up?  I've had two boomerangs and liked them, but found they're sort of junk.  They suck tone bad and don't play well with other pedals. 

One question on how Trey runs his loops, and looks like you may run a sep loop.  He has three loops, basically:

Main:  ts9, comp, Wah

Leslie

Digi crap

When he's in digi crap (or Leslie) does that mean his wah and regular set up is out?  If he switched loops, how's he still getting compressor and screamers?  Or do they feed the other loops? 

Down_With_Sco

Trey's TS9, comp and wah is always in chain.
Guitars: 2006 Gibson Les Paul standard, 1997 Fender Stratocaster, 90's Fender Telecaster, Xavier and Aria acoustics

Pedals: Furman SPB-8C; Epigaze Audio Neutrino buffer > RMC Wizard > Whammy DT > Korg pitchblack > Maxon AF9 > Maxon OD9 silver x2 > Analogman 2 knob compRossor > Analogman Astrotone fuzz > Black Cat mini trem > Black Cat Vibe > Boss 500FMH volume > Boss PH2 > FL9 > Ibanez DE7 > TC Nova Repeater > Xotic EP booster

FX loop: Boomerang Phrase sampler v1

Amps: 50w Rockitt Retro Plexi, '89 Simul-class Mesa MKIII Blue stripe combo (V30) > 3/4 closed back 2x12 (C90) Mesa cab, 3rd gen 40w Fender Hot Rod deluxe, 50w Marshall MG 1x12 combo

atk1

I'm using a Sarno SMS classic preamp powered with a McIntosh MC50 50 watt power amp. The cab is an SSP with a 12" JBL K120. I have a second 1x12 cab on the way for a celestian vintage 30..
All my pedals on my board are individually looped to the loopmaster 14.

I'm just getting into the boomerang.. it's ok for quick loops. It's easy to use. I like the ditto looper I have for looping rhythm or longer loops. It's just that boomerang is picking up radio frequencies and then my drive pedals amplify them loudly. Not sure how to kill that. I heard noise gates ruin tone too.

atk1

I have been kicking around the idea of finding a Mesa Studio Preamp too.. I've seen a few, just haven't pulled the trigger.

atk1

Right now, that black cat vibe is my favorite pedal on the board..

tsbot

I've never played with the the original boomerang but I have the III and love it!  Since I'm not Trey and need longer loops and different loops the III is perfect - no noise, super clean.  And after I record the loop I have it set up to play through a second amp (easily done with the outputs on back) so I can jam with the primary amp and not have loops playing through that muddying it all up - which I love about it.

Helping Friendly

Quote from: tsbot on December 13, 2015, 01:54:48 PM
I've never played with the the original boomerang but I have the III and love it!  Since I'm not Trey and need longer loops and different loops the III is perfect - no noise, super clean.  And after I record the loop I have it set up to play through a second amp (easily done with the outputs on back) so I can jam with the primary amp and not have loops playing through that muddying it all up - which I love about it.

I also have the III and love it. Never had any noise issues with it.  It's actually the only "always on" pedal currently besides the ross. My tone doesn't seem to suffer but I think I'm gona get another bypass looper for it anyway.  I have a 7 channel bypass looper but ran out of room :(

Heady Jam Fan

Sound Scraper cab? I've heard good things, but even as they are cheaper than Hard Trucker, they are out of my budget. I also got a chance to check out a Bag-end cabinet that sounded nice, also a bit pricey. I've been enjoying my TRM Hard Trucker copy.

With the Sarno>McIntosh>JBL/Trucker cab, you seem to have a Garcia setup. I guess the Boss Blues overdrive works for his tone too. With the TS9's, I'll bet you get close to some of Trey's tones from FTW. I tend to prefer Trey's early 90's thing with the Mesa>V30's, and, having spent the last couple weeks listening to FTW, wished he stuck with his typical gear. I'm interested whether the studio pre > McIntosh > V30 would do the trick, or if you really need the Mark III. I've been really glad I went back to 2 V30's, so if you like Trey's tone, I think you will like have the option of using a V30.

As far as the GD, I always found myself more enamored with Weir's glassy clean rhythm than Jerry's tone. Listening to FTW, I realized I never really looked into Weir's rig.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

No Nice Guy

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on December 14, 2015, 08:39:07 AM

As far as the GD, I always found myself more enamored with Weir's glassy clean rhythm than Jerry's tone. Listening to FTW, I realized I never really looked into Weir's rig.

Yeah, I really like what he did with those 4 phase switches on his Ibanez (this one:)

Guitars:  Phred Ernesto, Michael Kelly Hourglass

Pedal Chain:  Korg Tuner > TS9 > Silver TS9 > Ross Clone > Phase 90 > Boss Tremolo > Whammy V > TC Flashback > TC Ditto

Amp:  Blues Jr

Jkendrick

Sound Scraper cab? I've heard good things, but even as they are cheaper than Hard Trucker, they are out of my budget. I also got a chance to check out a Bag-end cabinet that sounded nice, also a bit pricey. I've been enjoying my TRM Hard Trucker copy.

With the Sarno>McIntosh>JBL/Trucker cab, you seem to have a Garcia setup. I guess the Boss Blues overdrive works for his tone too. With the TS9's, I'll bet you get close to some of Trey's tones from FTW. I tend to prefer Trey's early 90's thing with the Mesa>V30's, and, having spent the last couple weeks listening to FTW, wished he stuck with his typical gear. I'm interested whether the studio pre > McIntosh > V30 would do the trick, or if you really need the Mark III. I've been really glad I went back to 2 V30's, so if you like Trey's tone, I think you will like have the option of using a V30.

As much as I love Garcia his tone never did it for me. I like his early SG best. I also like the Travis Bean tones too. When he went away from the Fender amps to MacIntosh set up he still got some great clean tones but his OD tone wasn't as good IMHO. I think one of the things I like about Garcia's tone is that he picked so close to the bridge. It's a unique sound.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Jkendrick on December 14, 2015, 04:52:46 PM

As much as I love Garcia his tone never did it for me. I like his early SG best. I also like the Travis Bean tones too. When he went away from the Fender amps to MacIntosh set up he still got some great clean tones but his OD tone wasn't as good IMHO. I think one of the things I like about Garcia's tone is that he picked so close to the bridge. It's a unique sound.

Yea he did have that close to the bridge sound. I wonder if it's from playing alot of banjo?

Jkendrick

I should clarify, Tapatalk didn't let me edit my post. He always had the Fenders afaik (except for a short stint with a Mesa Mk1, which I liked), but with the MacIntosh it sounded different. I don't know if maybe it was more headroom which caused him to add pedals which weren't as nice as that natural tube OD.
1989 Paul Reed Smith Custom 24 (Seymour Duncan 59s), POS Fender acoustic
'78 Silverface Fender Deluxe Reverb (Weber California w/ paper cone)
Teese RMC3 Wah> Boss Tu-3 Tuner> MXR Phase 45> Ibanez TS9 (Keeley modded)> TS808 (Analogman TV)> Keeley Compressor (two knob)>VFE Rocket Boost EQ> Boss DD-3> DigiTech JamMan Solo XT

Walker done done

I agree, I didn't like Jerry's OD tone after he switched to the Macs.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

dontpanic

Yea it doesn't take much to hate the OD tone... On the other hand, Jerry's standard, dirty-clean is great. Especially the 80's Mac tone. Love it.

That tone just doesn't work with an OD/distortion IMO. It could have been improved with some gain staging. Maybe a boost into a light OD.

How is the Trey pedal setup into the sms->Mac? I always find myself wanting these two tones more than any others. I would be REALLY interested to hear a Mesa studio pre-> Mac running through some v30s or k120s.