Trey and the MXR MC-401 Boost ?

Started by afountas, January 06, 2016, 10:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

afountas

Think it's very interesting how in the GD article, they mention a MXR MC401 Boost in his rig.  Does anyone know how it's used?  Does it have anything to do with him turning the compressor way down?

I play two Silver OD9's into a BiComp and still get a huge volume spike when engaging either overdrive pedal(s). Turning up the compressor lessens the spike but no matter how high the sensitivity on the comp is, you still get a pretty good spike.   I've been thinking about splitting my clean signal and overdrive signal with an AB switch and running a boost on the clean signal to solve the volume spike issue.

Anyone think something similar is happening here?   If not, how the hell has he solved the volume spike issue with TS9's turned on full volume?
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Walker done done

That BiComp sure is wonky.  So hard to work with.  I had it for a few weeks (after waiting 18 months on a waiting list) and sent it back because I was so unhappy with the performance.  My first reco would be to get rid of it and get a better comp.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

afountas

It's been a great compressor for me.  The only one I've played that doesn't impede the high ends of my tone.  But, there has to be a more ironclad way to control the volume spike of the TS9s.  Reason I say that is, how did Trey NOT face this issue when he actually eliminated a compressor from his rig?  And, if he did, how did he solve?
Guitars: Equator Mini, Fender Strat Deluxe, Tacoma Custom Build Koa (acoustic), Taylor NS74CE (acoustic)> Martin D16GT (acoustic)>

Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell >  OD9 Silver > OD9 Silver > Analogman BiComp >
Loop Master 5 Loop (w/tuner out): 1. (Korg Pitchblack Tuner) 2. Whammy 5 w/ Midi  3. Black Cat Vibe 4. Line 6 M13 5.(empty) 6. Boomerang III

Amp: 1990 Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue w/ Weber Blue Dog 50 watt Paper Cone Light Dope

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: afountas on January 06, 2016, 10:33:56 AM
Think it's very interesting how in the GD article, they mention a MXR MC401 Boost in his rig.  Does anyone know how it's used?  Does it have anything to do with him turning the compressor way down?

I play two Silver OD9's into a BiComp and still get a huge volume spike when engaging either overdrive pedal(s). Turning up the compressor lessens the spike but no matter how high the sensitivity on the comp is, you still get a pretty good spike.   I've been thinking about splitting my clean signal and overdrive signal with an AB switch and running a boost on the clean signal to solve the volume spike issue.

Anyone think something similar is happening here?   If not, how the hell has he solved the volume spike issue with TS9's turned on full volume?

When I set the sustain on my Ross at 9 o'clock, I do have huge leaps in volume. However, loudness/boldness/thickness does change between no TS and either TS's being turned on. I want to push my compressor equally as hard when clean as when dirty, so I use a clean boost. The MC401 is probably very good. The MXR Micro Amp is as good as anything else. I use an Ibanez GE9 because I had it, I like old Ibanez pedals, and its nice to also have the EQ features just in case. I always have at least one of the GE9, mild TS9, or cranked TS9 turned on.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

If i had to guess, I think Trey is using it for more of a line driver/ buffer than a boost. Especially if he stopped using the CAE CB2.

I currently use the Cb2 and like it. But it does seem to cut mids. So I just turn up the mids on the boogie to compensate. This gives me even more sustain I've noticed. :)