Cry baby true bypass mod???

Started by Helping Friendly, January 15, 2016, 08:07:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Helping Friendly

Where did you guys send your cry baby to for the true bypass mod? I'm ready to get it done but not sure where to go? Can anyone here do it? I saw some on ebay for $60.  I was hoping to spend a little less but if not I guess that price is far. I definitely wana get an led put in also. Suggestions?

Heady Jam Fan

I have a Dunlop Mini Wah that I dig. I'm 95% sure its true bypass and has a traditional cry-baby setting. I've only used it in the more midrange-focused vintage / Hendrix setting, which is mild, but sounds great: not of the shrillness at toe-down, nor loss of definition at heel-down that occurs with most wah pedals. Not to mention, its small - I always sell my wah pedals because of the above mentioned tonal things, along with the size of wah pedals. The only thing I dislike is that the button is a bit more sensitive, so I've accidentally turned it off when in the toe down position a couple times, then I'm just sitting there rockin' my foot for no reason like a jackass.

But I think it only costs as much as a modification on a regular cry baby.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 15, 2016, 12:07:07 PM
I have a Dunlop Mini Wah that I dig. I'm 95% sure its true bypass and has a traditional cry-baby setting. I've only used it in the more midrange-focused vintage / Hendrix setting, which is mild, but sounds great: not of the shrillness at toe-down, nor loss of definition at heel-down that occurs with most wah pedals. Not to mention, its small - I always sell my wah pedals because of the above mentioned tonal things, along with the size of wah pedals. The only thing I dislike is that the button is a bit more sensitive, so I've accidentally turned it off when in the toe down position a couple times, then I'm just sitting there rockin' my foot for no reason like a jackass.

I think you can test the TB vs Buffered bypass by unplugging the pedal from it's power source while it's in your chain. When bypassed, your signal should still go through. If it's buffered, there shouldn't be any sound. You probably know that but just thought I'd share.

For the TB mod, I thought you only had to replace the switch?
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Buffered on January 15, 2016, 01:19:12 PM
Quote from: Heady Jam Fan on January 15, 2016, 12:07:07 PM

I think you can test the TB vs Buffered bypass by unplugging the pedal from it's power source while it's in your chain. When bypassed, your signal should still go through. If it's buffered, there shouldn't be any sound. You probably know that but just thought I'd share.

For the TB mod, I thought you only had to replace the switch?

I think your right on both accounts! Good info, because you can probably buy the parts from small bear for a fraction of the cost of a kit. I'll bet MadBean forum has something on this, or you could sign up and make a thread.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Helping Friendly

I have done alot of mods in the past with no problem. For some reason I remember looking this mod up awhile ago and thinking " I'll just pay the 50 bucks and be over it " perhaps it's worth another look?

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Helping Friendly on January 15, 2016, 08:01:29 PM
I have done alot of mods in the past with no problem. For some reason I remember looking this mod up awhile ago and thinking " I'll just pay the 50 bucks and be over it " perhaps it's worth another look?

From what I see in a quick look, rather than just bypassing the buffer, these two versions of the TB Mod remove the buffer from the circuit. So a couple mores steps than a simple change of a switch.

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/546
http://www.danieleturani.com/howto-and-diy/convert-crybaby-wah-pedal-to-true-bypass/

Helping Friendly

Yes this is exactly why I got overwhelmed at the time. Plus mine is a vintage Thomas Organ wah so there is no buffer. 

Happyorange27

I've done this mod and many others to my cry baby. Contact me if you want me to work on yours.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Helping Friendly

Quote from: Happyorange27 on January 16, 2016, 01:59:14 PM
I've done this mod and many others to my cry baby. Contact me if you want me to work on yours.

PM'D you Happy