What do you all think?

Started by tsbot, January 23, 2016, 11:53:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tsbot

I've decided a few things since I bought a Mesa Mark III red stripe head a few weeks ago.

I have a chance to trade my Vintage Sound 22 plus cash for a Jim Kelley 30/60 single channel head with reverb and a Forte 3D cab with an EVM-12L. (I'd sell the Mesa too - can't keep them all).

I could put one EVM12L and V30 into my Hard Truckers cab if ohms match (not sure) - if the EVM is too much but that is what Jim recommends and almost soley uses.

After playing my Mesa Mark III And VS22 last night for hours plugged straight in / no pedalboard - something in me says "that is the sound". No tone suck, natural amp compression with the VS. They both sounded good, but with the 6v6 and natural compression I liked it most.  Plus I've been looking for more headroom on the VS - I think the Kelley could be the best of the Mesa and VS.

I know it deviates from the Trey rig, but I've been searching for that articulate sound and this gets it, guitar>amp, maybe throw a pedal in but not a whopping board like mine.

Or, get a single channel loop and throw the whole board into a loop.

Thoughts.

Oh yea, it could be the Jim Kelley vs Redplate. And I'd sell the Mesa AND VS22. .

Thanks!

Hoody

I'd say you're overthinking it.  I'd just pick whichever one you like the best, and agree go straight guitar-amp...or very close thereto.  I've basically gone to just an overdrive and looper and think that's the best.

So much of the best tone comes from changing your guitar's volume.

What wood do you have on the languedoc?

tsbot

Hey hoody - for sure overthinking it.  Gotta be done and play.

Doc is European maple top,  claro walnut back and sides.

Helping Friendly

I agree. I think the best thing to do is to decide with your ears. Imagine you did a test blind folded and didn't know which one you were playing. Which ever one sounded and feeled better would be the one I would stick with. That's what myself and all of us have been doing for years with effects. The classic shoot out. Best sounding stays, loser goes to ebay. Lol

tsbot

For sure - problem as always is I can't try the Jim Kelley and any Redplates.  I've been A/B'ing the Mesa and Vintage Sound - both have their strengths and weaknesses!  I need to keep them all!

Heady Jam Fan

Yeah, not sure if there is a way anyone could answer that. Having said that, I just saw a Fender PA 100 listed locally - I know Andy Fuchs modifies those to his Dumble-Inspired specs. Those are supposed to be fun amps to modify and personalize. If I had more money, I might have bought it for a project!
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

Buffered

Out of all the boutique brands, those are the few I would be fine buying before trying (although I'd try my hardest to play em) it boils down to a personal thing as well as doing all the research you can (calling Henry @ Redplate or Mr. Suhr, or Jim Kelley) I try and avoid a lot of product demo youtubes, but some are great to get a general sonic idea of the OD on tap. I really got into Redplates from youtubes, trying a Blackverb, and finally picked up my CD2 last weekend and I just love it so far... I'd say Redplates are becoming more and more affordable since he came out with the newer Bluesline and other 2016 combos (unless you want one of those)

Henry in particular will work with you a lot to determine the amp in his line that will work best for your needs/sound requirements. The CD2 does Fender, Tweed, or a HRM D-style OD. the BF preamp has a 6 position Q knob covering a lot of midrange shifts.

That being said I think all boutique amp purchases are a leap of faith in one way or another (versus say a Peavey or RI Fender you could return if bought new.)

I would do the VS + cash for a Kelley and EVM12L in a heartbeat.

Another point about D-style amps is I vastly prefer HRM style OD (A little tighter and more Marshally perhaps) but it also allows you to have a seperate EQ control for your drive. With my Fuchs ODS (non-HRM) it was really tough dialing in a balanced lead and clean tone. The CD2 has the option for a OD hi-cut, where you can make your cleans all Fendery and spanky, then when you go to OD (shared preamp) the highs on the OD aren't ice-picky.
Gibson ES-339, PRS DGT & 408
Redplate CD2, Valvetrain Beninngton Reverb, Fryette Power Station
Little Miss Sunshine - Keeley Tone Workstation - MuFX Micro-tron III - Keeley Delay Workstation