Main Menu

Gumbo

Started by Walker done done, February 04, 2008, 09:18:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walker done done

Until I can figure out how to post a single song, head to our myspace page and check out our recent recording of Gumbo.  Comments (good or bad) appreciated.

//www.myspace.com/heavydime
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

The solo rips.  Fucking awesome.

Walker done done

Thanks CK.  Guitar/keys or both?  I love the ivory work our keys player did on that one, very Page-esque.  It's too bad I have to send my guitar back for asthetics because sound-wise I'm in love with it.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Actually it's funny that you mentioned the keys because I was thinking the same thing: i.e. that guy on the keys has taste.  And I think you got your money's worth with that guitar: your control is superb; yet I can still hear how totally live it is in comparison with the other stringed instruments in the mix (bass and rhythm guitar).

How are you recording yourself?  I don't see a boom or a mic anywhere near your speaker cab.

Edit:  Your solo rips.  The keyboard outro is lovely.

Walker done done

Thanks, appreciate the kind words.  Everything's recorded live in 1 take (or on the same 1 take, I should say...sometimes we'll re-record if it's needed - this one was done spontaneously out of a jam), which is how we usually do it - just set the recorder and go.  We all plug into my Zoom MXR1266 (hence no mics), then I master it right on the unit, burn it down & load it up onto the computer.  It takes a long time to master & burn everything so as much as I want to do it *right*, I usually rake it in on the first try and burn it up from there, rather than scrutinizing every track/level/instrument...it takes too damn long.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

arkjdfgkjdbf

Like the others said, guitar ripped, and keys did too.  Great job.

In terms of recording, the \"live\" approach I find works for the main instruments, like drums/guitar/bass/keys, and then putting whatever else (if anything) over it after.  It's an energy thing, like when you're feeding off each other you do things musically that you wouldn't do track-by-track.

Again, great job, and let us know when you have some new gems.  Keep the funk coming  8) .

Walker done done

Fully agreed.  Though we never go back and edit or add stuff because quite honestly, I don't care that much to do so.  We really just use the recordings to listen, scrutinize, and get our rocks off once in a while by throwing in our shit, and the only other real reason for the recordings is to post on myspace or give to a bar or club looking to book us.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Walker done done

And PS - thanks for the kind words, much obliged.  Will post more when we get it.  We recorded last night and did another Gumbo out of a pretty funky jam, but I f'ed up the solo a little bit (just not paying attention, really), so I don't think it's as good, but if I get around to mastering it (or anything else of value) up I'll post it.

Loop 3 Boomerang+