Main Menu

Phans

Started by arkjdfgkjdbf, January 27, 2008, 03:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

arkjdfgkjdbf

I totally get why people badmouth Phish fans in comparison to Deadheads now.  Each time I meet someone who's a Phish fan (been to a ton of shows, is a trader etc), they have to be all cocky about it as if they're superior to someone like me who's never been to a Phish show.  These are also the same people who would rip you off...

I met a dreadie couple a few years back who were seemingly big fans, but the real truth came out fast.  They toured with Phish for a while, but the music was not their motivation.  Case and point- if you can't remember one song from a certain night, but you can remember how many balloons you sucked down, you indeed suck.  Sorry if I'm offending people here, but that's the way I feel.

I haven't met one person (in person) who I can talk to about the music itself, and I'm not sure I ever will.  

Sorry to rant.

Poster

ummm you met me, benny, scott, and stiles? ive met many great people at phish shows. typically, any white guy with dreads is gonna have issues at some level man. my advice, if you see somebody that looks like a jackass just assume they probably are. most of the good people are busy hanging out with friends instead of wandering the lot looking for whippets...

and any \"dead head\" these days is prolly up in there 60's. everybody else is just a neo hippie wrapped in nostalgia of a movement that happened many years ago.

plenty of people love music but dont understand the fundamentals of music,  allowing bands like crash test dummies to thrive on popular radio. theres hope for you dude. your in the right place, and i know it can be frustrating looking for like minded folks. theyre out there, just you wait and see ;0)

arkjdfgkjdbf

you're right.  thanks for lifting my spirits a little  :)

gratephulphish123

every phan i've met always begins a conversation with a crazy drug induced story.  i suppose it's just an easy way to start a conversation, because most people who've seen any kind of jam band have a few crazy drug induced stories to share, it's a common relation point. you cant just start a friendship with someone talking about how deeply the bangor tweezer affected your soul, that comes in later conversations.

and white guys with dreads are like any other group, theres a few cool ones and some total idiots. at jazz fest i got to talk to a dreaded white guy about coventry and stuff like that and he was a cool guy who actually did care about the music. then at phil lesh and friends i was next to a dreaded white guy who had to ask me \"whats this song\" during ripple  :roll:

real phans exist, yeah sometimes you'll get a dick who just loudly did nitrous and everyones show, but alot of the phans i've met genuinely care about phish

Stiles12

agreed,

This is the main reason why I had trouble getting in to the phish world in the begining. everyone i talked to told me some story about how dope shakedown street was, or how many tabs they ate that night. I don't care about that, thats not why i listen to phish. This is the exact reason I HATE the biscuits. I dont know if you guys have been to their shows but the crowd is a metaphorical graveyard. A good biscuit show means that the molly was really good that night, or there was an abundant amount of triple stacks. The music sucks personally.

A few friends and i where up at uvm last year   hanging out with one of my buddies that goes there, and low and behold the biscuits (my favorite) where playing higher ground. we all headed over their and listened to three hours of terrible techno jams. and after standing outside waiting for all of us to gather up for a few minuets the bass player (brownie) came out to talk to some of the fans. My friend was wearing a phish shirt and he comes up to us and goes, \"so your still caught up on the old thing huh?\" like he was inferior to everyone who walked the earth. and like we didnt know that they started in the early 90's as a phish cover band playing upenn. My friend then said something along the lines that he was a music fan, he didnt go for the scene, brownie then replied that music lovers scene is out and its time to join the revolution. that left such a bad taste in my mouth. we luaghed about it all night when went out to the bars, but i wont forget that he said that.

If you want to talk the music of phish i think you are in the right place, thats why i started talking to these guys and thats why i continually do it. I am lucky enough that my best friends at home are the same way, they dont do things becuase they like tie-die and like people to think they are hippies, they listen to phish becuase they love the music.

keep your hopes up, their are people that listen to the music
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Poster

i challenge you all to go pickup Tony Trischka Bands record \"New Deal\" and all will be well.

i remember some wookie chick and running into my tent at IT whispering she was hungry! after gently shoving the tripping wonk out of my tent I just smiled and waived saying, \" may the force be with you \" over and over :lol: .............lot kids are so dumb. i have hundreds of stories about the wooks and there unusual behavior. much like studying monkeys in the bush.  :lol:

* and yes pete! i completely agree disco biscuit kids are just a bunch of junkie crack heads. at least thats all ive personally seen. that bass player looks like hes snorted his share of smack, i wouldnt listen to any drivel that came out of his junkie shit eating mouth.

Walker done done

Their music was (and always is and will be) first and foremost for me.  That's not to say I don't like to have my share of fun 8) , but the music is what brought me and kept me coming back.  For all those who came for others reasons, well....thanks for ruining the scene.  That is but one of the reasons why we no longer have Phish around.  So thanks.  Not that there are any of those fuckers here, but maybe my sarcastic 'thanks' will reach them via internet telekinetics or something :?.

And I couldn't agree more about Bisco.  Trash.  

Back in '00, we caught the first 4 shows of the fall tour.  During the first 2 shows of that in Albany (2nd night?), a friend of mine got ganked in the parking lot across the street from the P Arena by some (presumably) shady tour rats that we're all mentioning.  He was trading tickets for nugs, and as he went hand-to-hand w/ the transaction, someone knocked him out from behind.  When he woke up, everything was gone.  Shame, really.  NEVER thought that I'd see something so discpicable on tour, what with these \"love/peace preaching wanna be hippies\" and all.  That was my first glimpse of things going downhill, though I chose to not believe that that monster of a negativity could breed itself into what we eventually saw, which was the downfall of the lot scene and an utter disgust for your fellow brother.  Fucking punks.

Never saw that on the GD/Ratdog/Phil/Other One's/etc. scene, fwiw.  I'm sure shit happened, but I'm confident it was MUCH more prevelant during the later part of the Phish scene than it ever was during the Dead's years.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

yeah its impossible to compare the scenes as it would change at each venue, but id agree more trash at lotus, sts9, and disco than with any other bands. except for maybe panic, they have their own share of creepy redneck molly headed coke weasels

arkjdfgkjdbf

I know it's such a cleche to make the comparson to Deadheads, and I wanted to avoid doing that, but it's the easiest group to compare to, obviously.  When I attempt to turn someone onto Phish, they immediately make assumptions about what the scene is, but who am I to tell them that they're not right some of the time?  My dad's a music lover, and got me into people like Bowie and Lou Reed at a very early age.  When I bring up Phish he'll just roll his eyes and dismiss whatever I have to say.  That seems to be a theme among non-Phans.  

Ehh fuck it.  At least I have the music to listen to.

Walker done done

Quote from: \"arkjdfgkjdbf\"Ehh fuck it.  At least I have the music to listen to.

Exactly.  And that's the important thing.  Ahh, the power of positive thinking and the wonders it can do  :wink:
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.