Trey's old amp, Mesa Boogie?

Started by GDCSH-1, March 10, 2009, 01:03:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GDCSH-1

Ok. For the show it looks like Trey used his old amp head on top of his Bruno cab and hard trucker cabs flanked on both sides, what amp is that ? phish.com says it is a Mesa Boogie Mark III, is that true? I compared pics of the amp to some older videos, it looks similar but the quality of the videos are were not great, anyone have an idea? 
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap

strangedesign

it's the mkIII. The cabs on either side of the bruno cab are the old 2x12's that Paul built years ago.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

raisingfreen

I noticed a few random posts from people who were supposedly there that the Mark III and the fender deluxe were used. The deluxe for rhythm and the mark III for lead. It must have been hidden because I did not see the deluxe reverb anywhere in photos. Anyone actually see the deluxe up on stage as well?
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Stiles12

no i didnt see any deluxe around trey when i was there... the deluxe mic'd in the back was page's which might be why people are confused (perhaps)

I guess it could have been previously but I know for sure that he did not have a deluxe anywhere near his rig on sunday night... the only deluxe on stage was the one page uses behind treys leslie.
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Brian27

Shoudnt a new rig be on here soon?

strangedesign

yeah... i need to get n touch with glenn and brian to make sure nothing else changed. They had only told me about the ross comp, 2x12 cabs and the messa amp. Maybe Brian will take some pics for us.
All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

hardtruckers

Hey Everybody...

Got some good info for you regarding Trey's amp usage. The first night he switched off pretty much 50/50 with the deluxe and the boogie. The second nite was 80/20 boogie and the last night was pretty much all boogie.  For the upcoming summer tour (and with the brothers last night) Trey will only have the boogie onstage. They are recording some stuff this spring and Trey will have both the deluxe and boogie in the studio.

The ross compressor, boogie and his old speaker cabs were the only changes.

The reason for the change, no kidding here. The fans kept telling him they liked his old tone better.  So he is literally giving the fans what they want.

Drop me a line with any questions

Hope everyone is well. Stop by and say hi to the hard truckers. www.hardtruckers.com
peace
glenn  ;D
www.hardtruckers.com
glenn@hardtruckers.com

Walker done done

Nice, thanks Glenn.  Have you got any other pics from the show?  Still haven't seen any floor pics....hoping somebody took some.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

cactuskeeb

Trey's tone sounds bland as balls compared with the rest of the band and their respective tone.  Mike's subtending bass lines sound amazing in my admittedly low end amp'd pair of car door, paper-coned woofers.  I love the separation Page's keys now have vis-a-vis the rest of the mix as well.  But come on, why give the apoplectic heard of PTers what they want: a Santana-esque, character-less lead tone.  I mean, I understand the Ross returning...but man, F this.

EDIT: I know I should have daggers shot at me from every feasible direction.  But I think I'm right, and Trey made a poor decision when it's obvious--he recently said, in the Ross conversation published online, that he loves the Fender, period...that was the last thing he's quoted to have said in that brief interview.

Poster

picture_of_nectar

You know I have to agree with Cactus, I think I actually prefer Trey's dirtier post-haiatus tone. And I think the rest of the band sounds awesome, if anything I'd like Trey to turn it down a little.

But whatever...I'm ok with what Trey wants to jam on, I'm just glad their back. Can't wait to see what they bust out this summer!
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

I dont know how nobody has mentioned Mike's new tone. Its very muddy. The eden isnt squeezing his tone with compression and hes using a kick drum mic for his cabinets. I think both Trey and Mike have stepped back a bit tone wise. They both sounded much better with the GRAB rigs (Trey=Fender+Bruno Cab, Mike=Eden+wall of subs+modulos)

cactuskeeb

Quote from: posternutbag on March 18, 2009, 11:05:32 PM
I dont know how nobody has mentioned Mike's new tone.

Because you didn't read my post.

picture_of_nectar

curious if they will stick with the Hampton rig or try something new for summer tour.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

GDCSH-1

This is my favorite tone from trey, around the 2:50 min mark on this video where he begins to turn it up a notch and just melt faces, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veNtfKBMsSA&feature=related , its very powerful compared to his mid 90's tone, I hope he doesn't leave this sound behind.  In the vid, what effects do you think he turns on when hes goin full lead at that 2:50 mark? Looked like he switched channels on his amp, along with whatever else he switched on. .     
"Make Your Move To Improve Your Groove" -Magic Hat cap