Name this effect please

Started by raisingfreen, March 17, 2009, 10:10:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

This post seemed to change directions a bit from the initial question, but I wanted to post an update to my initial question. While fiddling with my new Whammy II, I tryied out the "Detune" setting on the "Shift" side. When the pedal is toe down it is very chorus like, however when rolled back (almost all the way) it produced the exact tone I had been looking for mentioned in the beginning of this post. Seems this mode has a chorus or slight vibrato effect that I was unaware of. To me it was a very nice tone that can be used with rhythm. Take a listen to the into again in:

Prince Caspian ->   Phish   Island Tour 4-5-1998 Providence, RI

In my opinion this is at least part of how Trey gets that slightly glassy overtone (plus a bit of TS9). The other suggestions mentioned may be correct as well, however if someone could try this and let me know their opinion what they think that would be cool.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

cactuskeeb

The glassiness you're talking about comes from the Adamas graphite picks Trey has always used -- trust me. 

raisingfreen

Ok, that is a good suggestion. I had not thought of that. I will try the Adamas graphite picks as soon as I can find them. Last time I did, they were quite pricey. I use the 2.0mm Dunlap Gaters instead. Did you try the Whammy II in Detune mode with the pedal just barely forward? I just wanted to get another opinion to see if anyone thought this sounded familiar or at least pertaining to the effect I mentioned in the intro of: Prince Caspian -> Phish Island Tour 4-5-1998 Providence, RI.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux