looking for a custom guitar builder

Started by mike-o, April 23, 2009, 03:33:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike-o

I caught a link on this site for a guy that builds custom guitars.  They were solid bodies with exotic woods.  Offset bodies and a headstock like a Languedoc.  Can't find the link now.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Walker done done

Look no further:

http://aoguitars.com/index.php?module=ContentExpress&func=display&ceid=1&meid=-1

My buddy Andrew makes some nasty guitars, let him know Benny sent you.  Feel free to call him direct, he's a great guy and has an immaculate shop, it's like a friggin' shrine for beautiful instruments.  I'd highly recommend him if you're looking custom.  Let me know if you end up ordering something.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

Iam ordering one! Thanks benny you are the man!

mike-o

Poster

Cant wait to get my fingers all up on that zebrawood  :D  Andrew is totally cool

strangedesign

All aboard for the tour, riding next to the truth...

www.strangedesign.org

Stiles12

I was talking to andrew a lot last summer, and was trying to make something work out... He is a great guy, he responds to all your questions so quickly and works with you to really get what you want.... I didn't end up getting one for various reasons 1 being that I needed a guitar now and couldn't wait the alloted time... anyway some of the guitars look sick, and they are a very reasonable price for a custom build. I am probably going to do some business with him at some point in the future...

http://www.glidemagazine.com/hiddentrack/the-b-list-aos-10-favorite-guitars/

I ended up buying a McInturff which some of you know, but I love it, such an awesome guitar, guy is really cool too, he sent me tons of info about what pickups to use to get specific sounds, he sent me what chuck garvy uses in his and what Phil Keagy uses in his and how they are wired and and set up with degrees of neck bends and pickup heights... check him out if you are still looking and want a guitar now.

http://www.mcinturffguitars.com/06-Guitars/TaurusStandard/TaurusStandardSpec.asp
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Andrew certainly makes some beautiful instruments, and I fortunately have the pleasure of swinging by the shop every so often just to see what he's been working on, talk some shop, jaw about the Sox (let's go for the sweep tonight!!!), and soak in the beauty of his work.  On a wall in his shop he has an amazing (and fairly large) pic of him holding Wolf (yes....THE Wolf) from when he was retooling it for it's new owner.  It's jaw-dropping to say the least.  FYI, if anyone ever orders something from hiim, I'd be happy to head up and take account while it's being built.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

Poster

Benny is gonna get his paws on my new guitar before me wtf lol

Stiles12

How sick was ellsbury stealing home... and finally the 70 million dollar JD spew didnt line into a double play.... such a chump

Dosnt Jim Irsay the owner of the colts own that guitar... I know he bought tiger and one of his SG's... does he own wolf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0uG7B7WwAg&feature=related

* This whole documentary is pretty cool but this is about his guitars
Guitars- Parker Fly Mojo, McInturff Standard, gibson 446.
effect and amp chain- Ts9 silver (X2), Rmc-3, (To Rack) Groove Tube Trio> BBE Compressor> GCX Audio Switcher> Whammy II> Boomerang> D-Two> Dm-2000> Tc electronics M-one XL> VHT 2:90:2
SPL Transducer

Walker done done

Quote from: Stiles12 on April 27, 2009, 01:39:19 PM
How sick was ellsbury stealing home... and finally the 70 million dollar JD spew didnt line into a double play.... such a chump

Dosnt Jim Irsay the owner of the colts own that guitar... I know he bought tiger and one of his SG's... does he own wolf?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0uG7B7WwAg&feature=related

* This whole documentary is pretty cool but this is about his guitars

That steal was retardulous.  I was in shock.  What a great sweep, and a great run they're on.  I'm still worried about Papi, he better get his shit together soon.  We're riding without his bat for the interm, but that shit ain't gonna last forever.

As for Irsay, he owns Tiger: http://graphics8.nytimes.com/images/2005/12/18/sports/18irsay.large1.jpg.  Lucky fucker. 

---------- 10 points for anyone who can name the previous owner of the Gibson on the left.  NO CHEATING! ------------ 

Far as I know the Martin he is playing is just (simply) a ridiculously priced custom made thing of beauty (I once heard in the $30k range, fwiw), though I cannot confirm that, it's just what I was told by someone else.

Fun fact: He also owns the original manuscipt to Jack Kerouac's "On The Road" - a slice of history heaven if you ask me.  Why I know so much about the Indianapolis Colts owner (who's team I hate....rather, loathe...) is a fair question, but hey, at least he's a Head with some good taste.  Can't fault him there.

The guy who owns Wolf lives out in the Bay Area, and as the story goes through Andrew, that guy commissioned Andrew to clean up Wolf and at the same time had him make 2 (that's TWO for you counting at home) Wolf replicas that the guy could play while gigging with his band, so as to not jeapordize the almost 1-million dollar iconic guitar by playing it in bars/clubs around town.   I suppose that makes some sense....

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

I cant fucking wait for my new AO hollowbody. I hope it doesnt take too long. Walker if you stick your paws on her your getting a sack of coal for christmas.

raisingfreen

Just wanted to chime in and mention a visit I had to AO Guitars in Freeport today. If anyone on here is planning on ordering a new guitar you would be foolish to not check this guy out. I will give a brief review of what I observed. The shop is one of the coolest buildings I have ever seen. All hand built by the owner. (I think he has some pics on the site). The equipment appeared to be all state of the art and well maintained as the shop was very clean. After our initial introduction we spoke about some of the work I wanted done and he answered every question in an easy to understand way. After looking around a bit I immediately realized that this guy is an artist and decided right then and there two things. 1). I would give him complete creative freedom to modify my guitar as he see's fit. (I love the guitar, but it just needs some care, re-wiring and upgrades) We discussed some basic pricing options and he explained clearly some very interesting options pertaining to switches, buffers, pickups etc...2). In the very near future I will be buying a guitar from him. He has something for everyone. Whatever your style, sound, look, etc, he either has a existing template, body style etc.. or can build it. What appeared to be his basic model is by far one of the coolest, sexiest looking guitars I have ever seen. You have to really see them in person as the pictures are great, but don't quite paint the complete picture. I will also add that even if your not looking to buy a guitar, consider getting some work done to improve your existing one. I saw some of the modifications he has done, everything from relic'd guitars to custom wiring projects. One old original strat I saw appeared to be so redone that it no longer deserved the fender name on the headstock and was replaced by his very cool AO icon. You'd have to see it to understand but he made a strat look completely relic'd and added style and subtle detail even down to removing the neck connection plate and custom drilling new sub-set holes, and reshaping the neck connection a bit to make it look like it was designed that way originally. If fenders looked the way this one did they would actually be worth what they cost today.
So whatever your in the market for, even Languedoc esque' style stuff I would highly recommend checking this company out. He mentioned that he would build a knockoff Languedoc, and I am sure it would be great. However, I just cant see why you would want to after seeing the uniqueness of these original guitars. This company is definitely breaking new ground with guitar building, styling and design. I will post a follow up after I see the results of the modifications I am having done in a few weeks. Thanks to Walker done done for letting me know about this company as it was a pleasure to meet Andrew and see the shop. www.aoguitars.com.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux