New Panning for Trey and Page

Started by Heady Jam Fan, August 24, 2013, 07:36:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Heady Jam Fan

Have you guys noticed that on some tunes Trey is panned a bit (or a lot) to the right and Page is more to the left?

What do you think?

I certainly love the fat, wide thing from post-Junta (until Joy I think; Trey is way off to the right on the song Ocelot for example - I can't remember earlier recordings where he is panned off) recordings that requires to the mics, one 4in further from than amp than the other.

I didn't really like the stereo image from Junta as much where there is a short delay between duplicated tracks, hard panned (at least thats how it sounds to me).

However, I also really like when bands leave a lot of space between instruments - there is more separation and clarity. Some GD recordings are like this - some many different sounds that have their own little space across the stereo pan. Pretty much opposite of the wide sound Trey used to usually have.

It seems like in 2011 live recordings, they started panning Page and Trey a bit.
Headless Hollowbody > Mesa Boogie MK III > TRM Trucker 212 w/ V30's
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

sour d

Are you noticing this at shows or on live releases? There is mixing going on before they release them.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: sour d on August 25, 2013, 02:52:33 PM
Are you noticing this at shows or on live releases? There is mixing going on before they release them.

Live releases - just pointing out that they decided to mix differently than they did for the majority of Phish's existence.
Whammy 5 > Mini Wah > 74 Script Phase 90 > CP9Pro+ > 82 TS9 > 83 TS9 > Ross Compressor > Turbo-Tuner > 83 AD9

fulltone1989

Guitars: Gibson ES-339 and LP studio w/ grovers and WCR Fillmores. Simon and Patrick Showcase Rosewood CW, PRS SE Semi Hollow w/ mods, modded Ibanez MC300NT
Amps: Groove Tubes Soul-O 45, Fuchs ODS 50 mod - EVM12L, Emi RW&B, and Weber Cali cabs
Ardx20 w/ Amaze0 in the loop.

Happyorange27

I listened to the Dicks show and noticed the panning. I like it since its representative if the stage setup image. Trey and Page share the rhythm frequencies so its only fair and balanced that they are panned. Too much Trey can bury Page. But I think on the SBD they center Treys solos. Anyway it's good.

Also Trey is sound much more direct to his amp, not using the digcrap loop as much. This means he is not leaving the whammy on all the time. This lets his tone sound more rounded and not so sharp. Also the tone is a bit more muddy and his amp is overdriven more. Sounds much closer to my own setup through my easily overdriven Blues Jr. which gets muddy when I use the heavy screamer. Just my observation.
A.O. Hollowbody>Whammy II>MC-404 CAE Wah>Polytune Mini>Whipple Baby Tooth Fuzz>TS9 early 80's>TS9 Analogman Silver>Bone Squeeze Compressor>Wilson Effects Haze Deluxe>Fish N Chips Eq>Flashback Delay>gigfx chopper>Jamman Stereo>Fender Blues Jr. III w/ Billm mods & Cannabis Rex

Heady Jam Fan

Quote from: Happyorange27 on September 08, 2013, 11:18:02 AM
I listened to the Dicks show and noticed the panning. I like it since its representative if the stage setup image. Trey and Page share the rhythm frequencies so its only fair and balanced that they are panned. Too much Trey can bury Page. But I think on the SBD they center Treys solos. Anyway it's good.

Also Trey is sound much more direct to his amp, not using the digcrap loop as much. This means he is not leaving the whammy on all the time. This lets his tone sound more rounded and not so sharp. Also the tone is a bit more muddy and his amp is overdriven more. Sounds much closer to my own setup through my easily overdriven Blues Jr. which gets muddy when I use the heavy screamer. Just my observation.

Yep - I agree with this. In Trey's rig video clips he says how he never has to think of a phrase when soloing if he is listening to Page and Gordon - he just borrows from them, and I think that makes the music seam together better (while the dead sometimes sound like their in their own world, which is also cool sometimes). So I try to listen for when they borrow phrases from each other and how those phrases get tossed around between them and varied over time. I think listening that way is cool, but will also make me a better player.