Whammy IV issues**help**

Started by ColForbin, November 13, 2009, 02:13:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ColForbin

Son of a nutcracker!!!

So my whammy has kind of crapped out on me.  When I have the effect on, say 1 octave up, and I have the rocker all the way back, there shouldn't be any change to my pitch right?  Well those days are behind me, my pitch gets effected just by having the pedal on.  So if I want to use the whammy in that capacity, I have to stand on it to make sure my pitch doesn't go up and then use it.  You can just imagine how difficult trying to do some whammy stuff with the boomerang can be with this going on.  I have tried calibrating, no dice.  I asked my local music store if anything could be done and they say nay.  So fellow tone freaks, is there anything you would advise or should I just cut my losses and acquire another whammy?

Cheers.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

jadirusso

I have the same exact issue as you.. I have basically stopped using the Whammy because I have no idea how to fix that and it's annoying to turn it on and have it change the pitch slightly until I can heel down on the rocker.. I was thinking of just tossing it in the trash and buying a new one but if anyone knows how to fix it that'd be great!

Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185
Other amps: Fender Twin Reverb reissue, Mesa Boogie Mark III head

sour d

You have to recalibrate the pedal. On the whammy4 I think you hold the footswitch(silver button) down while you plug the power supply in to the back. The lights will flash a couple times then you move the treadle all the way forward and then all the way back. I could be off on this because it is different on the different versions of the pedal. I do know that in the manual it tells you how to do it. If you don't have the manual then go to digitech.com. They have most of their manuals online.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

jadirusso

Yeah I originally thought it was the calibration but it's not.. I've recalibrated several times. I'm pretty sure it's the rocker itself that's screwed up... It doesn't stay at full heel down position unless your foot is actually on it pushing the heel down.
Joe

current rig: AO Guitars Koa Venus Hollow-Rim->Q-tron->RMC2->Fulltone OCD->TS-9->TS-9 silver->Ross Compressor->Whammy II->Nova Repeater->Boomerang+->Fender '65 Deluxe Reverb RI

Other guitars: Gibson Les Paul Double Cut, Fender Strat, Ibanez AS-80, Carvin AE-185

sour d

Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

ColForbin

I have also tried to recalibrate several times to no avail, so that's not it.  I've tried praying to the whammy gods as well, negatory results.
Current rig: 
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp

jadirusso

hehe .. you have an idea of how to fix the rocker?
Joe

sour d

Quote from: jadirusso on November 13, 2009, 02:59:25 PM
hehe .. you have an idea of how to fix the rocker?
Quote from: ColForbin on November 13, 2009, 02:58:20 PM
I have also tried to recalibrate several times to no avail, so that's not it.  I've tried praying to the whammy gods as well, negatory results.

You should be able to tighten the treadle so it doesn't move on you. 1 long bolt goes through the whole thing attached by a nut on the other end. Don't take this bolt out unless you absolutely have to (its a bitch to get the 2 plastic and 2 metal washers back in). If for some reason it won't tighten then there is a good possibility the plastic washers are toast and need to be replaced.

ColForbin

Sweet sour d, (forgive the pun) I'll give that a go and post back how I fared out.

UPDATE!!

So I went home and decided to try the recalibration again, with no luck.  Then I did it a couple more times and the whammy seems to be right as rain.  Here's a good guide from digitech spelling out how to recalibrate your whammy.

ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Manuals/Whammy%20Calibration%20Guide.pdf
Current rig: