Main Menu

Tonewoods

Started by picture_of_nectar, January 04, 2010, 03:07:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

picture_of_nectar

Which would you pick for a Hollowbody Top? Flamed Maple or Koa? And why?

I suppose the question is sort of related to, "do you like Trey's older Languedocs Better?"
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

they are very different woods. also koa in an endangered wood, so id opt out of that one. Maple is really really really really bright. Probably THE brightest tone wood there is. Have you ever gone over to warmoth before? they have a very neat interactive tone woods section. you might want to try something like a spalted purpleheart, or something else different. Also, run out to guitar center, and play every expensive hollowbody/acoustic with the woods your thinking about. Make sure they arent just laminates! but this is much like picking a flavor of ice cream. you can pick between your standard chocolate and vanilla or you can discover some excellent combo nobody has gotten before. jalepeno ice cream anyone? heres a great example of thinking out of the box for stunning results

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRqZLiAsgys&feature=player_embedded

picture_of_nectar

Thats interesting, Siskiyou pass is about 20 minutes from my house!

Quotealso koa in an endangered wood, so id opt out of that one.

But didn't you just have a Koa Hollowbody built?

Poster

nope, mine is cocobola and maple :0)

picture_of_nectar

Ha, my initial thought after watching that Petros video was. "wow! that wood is from my home town! I gotta get me one of them."

Then I found the Price. $13,000
Holy Shit!!!!!!!!!!

http://web.mac.com/petrosguitars/Site/Available_Guitars/Pages/Tunnel_13.html

Yeah, I don't suppose I'll be gettin me one of those anytime soon.

Poster

I think with a petros Id have to mod in a jack for my c**k

I mean honestly Id sleep with that guitar.

Poster

and this dude playing in the petros video is siiiiiick http://www.kinlochnelson.com/recordings.html

picture_of_nectar

Just found out from my wife that her parents used some of those same recycled Timbers from the Siskiyou Tunnel in their new ranch near Klamath Falls. Maybe i can talk them into buying the guitar too...ha.

back to the original question...would you buy a Maple or Koa holowbody?

Poster

so no other options? one or the other? hmmm.

maple. it cuts through the mix like a bat to a windshield. when playing with a band you can really direct traffic.

otherwise id recommend mixing woods.

like the geet i got today has got a really dark dark sound to it. that one piece mahogany with a rosewood fretboard, its got this really low mid bass heavy response so when i stick some chunky humbuckers in there it should deliver Huge chords and warm leads.

again, ill be sporting multiple guitars, authentic to classical tones, using a different configuration of tube compliments/ amps/ cabinets/speakers for each guitar controlled with my floor controller :0)  so iam not trying to get versatility; iam looking for real authentic personality, and better yet playability.

what pair of sneakers do you want to wear for the rest of your life?

ill take a box full of fucking geets mang. get a nice single coil strat, maybe a tele, a chunky monkey les paul for the southeren soul, a mid focused hollowbody to get my jazz pumpin, maybe another hollowbody with a decapitated deer head on it to get my demon munchin'. Aaaaaaaaannnnnnnddddd iam all set.

picture_of_nectar

Yeah i've got my strat, after i get my Hollowbody that i want I'll be looking for a chunky LP too..will prolly be a few years. I suppose I should know how to play the different styles before buying the guitars to play them...ha.

Poster

what kinda strat man? post some pics! the stratocaster is probably one of the top 3 greatest guitars ever. Such versatile instruments. You can load um with crazy metal humbuckers and bam! death metal. single coils to everything in between, it can be a horse of a different color each time! try that with a les paul! it wont happen :0)

picture_of_nectar

It's a G+L Legacy

I have been considering putting a Humbucker in the Bridge...

picture_of_nectar

Ended up choosing the Maple afterall.

Poster

hey thats great man! gotta love maple! light weight too!  :D :D :D :D