When Neil Young Plays a Doc it still sounds just like…Neil Young!

Started by raisingfreen, February 03, 2010, 05:36:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raisingfreen

I am sure everyone has already seen this, however, I stumbled upon this clip again and was blown away by the sounds he was able to get out of Trey's older Doc. Had I not seen him actually playing it I would have thought he was playing his own guitar through the Tweed deluxe. To me it sounds just like his signature sound. This really reassures me even more that it is, to a great extent all in the hands. I wonder if they had a little tweed deluxe in the background or off stage. Either way this is a great jam and it looks like they were really having a good time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YK_XPZ_Xhg
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

picture_of_nectar

Two Doc's on stage in the hands of masters = double the orgasm.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

Poster

Have you listened to all of Neil Youngs catalog?

I think you can make loud noises with heavy picks, rough strumming, into cranked amps on anything. lol ::)

Walker done done

Quote from: raisingfreen on February 03, 2010, 05:36:32 PM
I am sure everyone has already seen this, however, I stumbled upon this clip again and was blown away by the sounds he was able to get out of Trey's older Doc. Had I not seen him actually playing it I would have thought he was playing his own guitar through the Tweed deluxe. To me it sounds just like his signature sound. This really reassures me even more that it is, to a great extent all in the hands. I wonder if they had a little tweed deluxe in the background or off stage. Either way this is a great jam and it looks like they were really having a good time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YK_XPZ_Xhg

I LOVE that video.  When I first saw that a few years back I remember being mesmerized.
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

HunSanity

i remember that like it way yesterday... in college and a few years into seeing phish many times, waiting for farmaid...and watching that beast in someones room almost like we were at a show.. hahahaha

Poster

aoguitars

jesus, I forgot all about that jam. Gotta love the Pepe Le Pew days...
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

ColForbin

That "steely" gaze neil gives out when he is about to start singing a verse still sends shivers up my spine, it's unreal.
Current rig: 
Guitars:  AO Koa Venus, Denis Larocque Tele
Effects Board: AO Wheel-->Korg Pitchblack-->CAE M404 Wah-->Pigtronix Fat drive-->TC Electronic Alter Ego Delay-->amp
Amps:  Fender 1972 Twin Reverb

Walker done done

Quote from: ColForbin on February 05, 2010, 11:55:01 AM
That "steely" gaze neil gives out when he is about to start singing a verse still sends shivers up my spine, it's unreal.

Totally.  That icy glare is one of the many reasons he's an icon.  I think Neil would've been a great actor too, sort of in the Clint Eastwood "tough guy" mold.  I wouldn't fuck with him if he stared me down.  :D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.