Looking for a Live Looping Pedal

Started by fluffhead4020, February 25, 2010, 09:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fluffhead4020

Heyas.

I'm currently looking for a looping pedal that is "live" friendly. i have a Boss RC-2 Loop Station right now. I'm not looking for a Boomerang or anything that has that many options and effects you can do to your loops. Just something simple that I can use on the spot to loop anything from one note to repeat to measures of stuff.

I'm hoping my answer lies in a reasonable price range as well. 

sour d

boomerang is a horrible tone sucker but it has reverse. the best sounding and most usefull looper is the digitech jam man. that being said, i use both.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

raisingfreen

I was always wondering why they haven't made a very simple one without all the extra's. The closet I can think is the Boss dd-7 which has a hold/loop function. I think you have to get the timing right but its one button and easy. What would be really cool is a small pedal that does what the DM-2000 does. Get a nice delay loop going and when it reaches the right volume hit hold. I always wondered whether the older 70's-80's ibanez delay pedals that have a hold feature did this. Like if in the hold mode it still has a delay setting that is in use and when it reaches the best volume level/decay rate you simply hit hold. Then maybe again to bypass. The DM-2000 just does this so well and easy. Someone has to be able to put that in a pedal. I would suggest trying the dd-7 its like $160 new I think. I was reading that Analogman says these don't even need any mods, high cut or otherwise for whatever thats worth.
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

picture_of_nectar

I don't think the DD-7 would be a huge step up from the RC-2, in a live setting. The main problem being you need to bend over and change dial settings to use the looper function, which isn't a whole lot different then the RC-2.

I have a RC20XL, functionally it's a bit easier to use the RC2, but I haven't had much luck using it in a jam situation with friends, I suppose if you got really good with it you could. I mainly use it for practice.
Guitars: Paul Languedoc, Matt Atringer, David Myka, Ron Thorn

Amps: '65 Princeton Reverb, Clark '59 Bassman clone

raisingfreen

I agree the dd-7 may not have the functions of the others but for price and simple function that is the cheapest hold/loop pedal I have seen. I guess I meant if you just use it as a looper and nothing else then you would not have to bend down.

Is there anything else under $169 that can just do a loop/hold from a pedal?
AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Poster

feel free to listen to the live clips i posted today,,,,

with a modified boomerang +, i have zero tone loss during looping/playback, no audible click when engaging it, it sounds like a million bucks!

i cant understand why you would use anything else.

ive owned all the variations of the boss loopers, aside from saving a funny sample after unplugging it, they are worthless in a live setting. therefore, they are JUNK

cant speak for the jam man digitech loopers, never had one. but the footprint size is intriguing.

sour d

For sound quality, the digitech jam man has 44.1khz sampling rate compared to the boomerang's 24khz. Digitech is making a smaller version now and a stereo version too.
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/search.php?s=JamMan
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

sour d

fluffhead4020

I mean I'd be interested in a boomerang because it is meant for live looping. But I am all about my tone and if it is going to ruin my tone then it's not for me. But poster mentioned that you could mod one to make it sound better, and that sounds more appealing.

What's the price range on a decent boomerang modded to not take away from your tone?

sour d

Quote from: fluffhead4020 on March 01, 2010, 03:13:03 PM
I mean I'd be interested in a boomerang because it is meant for live looping. But I am all about my tone and if it is going to ruin my tone then it's not for me. But poster mentioned that you could mod one to make it sound better, and that sounds more appealing.

Look at the link I posted for the boomerang 3. That one is all sorts of cool and has 48khz sampling rate.