AO Custom Cables Info

Started by aoguitars, March 02, 2010, 10:51:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aoguitars

Hey guys, thanks for the killer response in my new line of custom cables! I'm doing my best to use top-quality stuff while keeping the cost down and affordable--these cables are built for rugged use, and are tremendously shielded for extremely noiseless use. Below is some info and a pricelist for what's cranking out of here:

Currently, all cables are made with Canare (Trey), Mogami or Belden (Jerry) wire.

All Plugs are Professional-Grade Neutrik Straights, Right Angles and Silents (Silent Straight and RA Plugs kill the signal when unplugged without popping the amp, so you don't have to turn anything off between guitar changes, etc). These plugs are built for a lifetime of use, have great strain relief, and can take an amazing amount of abuse.

All of these cables are hand-soldered and tested by me here in the shop and made immediately to order--I can usually get to your order within a day or two. Any length or type can be made, so inquire for special applications--Stereo cables for you guys with Onboard Effects Loops, snakes, XLRs, Speak-Ons for your PA, you name it—if I don't have it, I can make it. I'm also making Canare 4S8 Speaker Hook-up Cables either for your Combo Amp (with various connectors available, or stripped for direct soldering to your speaker's terminals) or for your Head-to-Cabinet connections. These make a huge difference over the cheap lamp-cord speaker wire used in most amps.

For rugged stage use, I like to add a product called Techflex to the runs of cable over 12" patch cords. It is basically a plastic mesh (kind of like the old Chinese Finger Traps) that is put on over the cable and protects it from cuts and abrasion from being stepped on and stuff. The cable still remains extremely flexible, and winds nicely. It comes in a variety of colors: Black, Blue, Green, Grey, Orange, Yellow, White.

Canare Cable, Straight Plug-to-Straight Plug :

6"—12"   $11.00
3'              $16.50
6'              $21.00
9'              $25.50
12'            $30.00
15'            $36.00
20'            $42.00

Canare cable comes in Black, Red, Blue, Orange
Mogami only comes in Black

Right Angle Plugs = add $2/plug (not per cable)
Neutrik Silent Plug = add $8
Techflex = add .50/foot

Any color combination of Canare and Techflex can be made, just be sure to specify when ordering.

In addition to the cables, I have also built Custom Pedalboards. I'm also willing to hand-wire your existing pedalboard with new cables, if you'd like a professional, tight installation done for you. I'm also a PedalTrain dealer, so I can hook you up with a new board, all wired and ready to go--just send me your pedals. Feel free to call if you have any ideas that you'd like to talk about.

COMING SOON: I've been asked by a few guys here about Custom Speaker Cabinets, and am thinking about putting a few into production if the demand is there. Please let me know if it's something that you may be interested in, and I'll look into building a few.

If you have any questions whatsoever or to place an order, feel free to call or email anytime!

Canare GS6 is a specially designed Oxygen Free Copper 18 AWG cable for connecting Guitar/Bass or Keyboards to amps, mixers, effects pedals and all outboard signal processing gear. Low capacitance and low series resistance provides improved frequency response (flat to 50kHz). A bright, ringing characteristic sound is preserved, even when using HI-Z guitar pickups with long cable runs. The proprietary double Carbon/Braid Copper shield construction eliminates microphonic handling noise, especially on stage where amps are often set at maximum volume levels. Also highly recommended for Amp Head to Speaker Cabinet leads.

Mogami has been revered by Audio Professionals for almost 50 years. It is undeniably the standard in Music Recording and Post Production facilities worldwide. Mogami guitar cable allows uncommonly clear, accurate, transparent tone, with dead silent background. Since our research has shown that many guitarists actually prefer to move around while playing, we use carbon impregnated PVC as an additional shield layer to eliminate any handling noise. Use for any unbalanced instrument, pedals, patching, etc.

Black TechFlex on Red Canare:

Red Canare, Blue Canare:

Red Canare 6" Patches:

Some TechFlex Colors:
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

Walker done done

Picked up my first of many AO custom guitar cables the other day and I gotta give props - AO does a great job on these puppies.  Rugged as all hell and very slick looking.  I will definitely be the coolest looking player in Portland because of these.  LOL.  But seriously they are pretty dope looking.  I went w/ a 15 ft double right-angle orange canare with black techflex and a silent plug on one end.  Very cool indeed, and a great value as they're competitively priced.  Hope you guys are placing your orders while the discount is still there!
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 1: Whammy II > Nova Delay
Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+
Tuner: Boss TU-3

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

aoguitars

Thanks, Benny. Can't make you play any better, but as long as I can make you look bitchin, my job is done.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

raisingfreen

I agree these cables are great. I went with the standard blue Canare "unwrapped". Really wishing I had gone with the wrapped ones though as without the wife got pregnant shortly after I started using them.

Badumbadum.

AO Guitars - Venus Hollow Rim w/Wolftone Dr. Vintage Humbuckers
Signal: Tuner>MXR Dist+>Ross Comp>RV-3>Alesis Nano>Silverface Vibrolux

Walker done done

LOL...he'll be here all week folks, like it or not.  :D
Guitars: Resurrection Phishy Hollowbody (koa top/back, cedar sides, Schaller Golden 50 pups, 2 series/single coil/parallel switches), Gibson SG Faded, Dean Evo, Fender Tele, Ovation Acoustic, Fender Acoustic

Signal Path: Garmopat-modded Vox V847 wah > Emma Discumbobulator > TS808 silver > TS9 silver > Ross Compressor (grey) > Alesis Microverb (reverb) > Mesa Boogie Mark III with custom 2x12 AO cabinet (speakers: Tone Tubby & Emminence Commonwealth).

Loop 2: Alesis Microverb (reverse) > Ibanez DM2000 > CAE Super Trem > Black Cat Vibe
Loop 3 Boomerang+

Effects not in use:  Voce Spin II (leslie sim), Boss DD6, Digitech RPM-1 (leslie sim), Analogman Orange Squeeze, Keeley 4knob Comp, Ernie Ball Volume Pedal, Super Hard On (boost), Ibanez AW7 (autowah), Denelectro French Fries (autowah) - If interested in any of these PM me.  Always willing to deal.

aoguitars

Ha! Shit man, I tried to sell you on the wrap, too. Lesson learned.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com

dartis

I'll add my $.02 saying I got my cables yesterday and not only do they sound great, but they are sturdy and sexy.  The Techflex wrap just looks bad-ass.  Andrew was awesome to work with, very personable, and delivered a great product to my door on the opposite coast!  Once I am ready for a custom guitar, he will get my first call...

patrickstefanski

Just got mine yesterday too.

Hot stuff!  I found myself unplugging the guitar one on purpose just to NOT hear the pop.
The silent plug is the way to go!

I will post some pics later.

Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

patrickstefanski

It's Later!!!!!!!

Here are some pics of the AMAZING cables I ordered from AO.

The three main cables....Black Canarae, Orange Techflex.

This is the MAIN main cable (from maine).  It features the silent plug.

I also ordered 6 other cables to fill in the pedalboard...just the black canarae with 90 degree plugs.

And a closeup...

All this gear should go AMAZINGLY with the Languedoc replica AO is building for me....http://blog.patrickstefanski.com/2009/09/i-recently-decided-to-upgrade-from-200.html
Current Rig:
Ron Kirn Barn Buster Telecaster---->Crybaby-->Ross Compressor--->Analogman King of Tone(just replaced my two TS9-Silver Mods)--->Ernie Ball Volume Pedal---> Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.  All connected using AO Guitars custom cables which are insane.

WOAH! New Blog! Check out my AO Guitars 'Doc Build here: www.patrickstefanski.com/blog *******UPDATED 03/11/11

sour d

I think the altoids are sucking the tone out your rig.
Phiga bolt or Resurrection phishy hollowbody>bc rich emp 45 5 loop switcher. LOOP1: Emma discumbobulator>RMC joe walsh wah>'82 ts9>silver mod od9>ross compressor. LOOP2: add mid '80's proco rat LOOP3: add whammyII> digitech ex7. LOOP4: add microverb X2> dm2000> boomerang> digitech JML2. LOOP5: guitar into amp. '76 fender twin or a '64 fender deluxe

patrickstefanski

no way, it keeps my tone strong....curiously strong
Current Rig:

Walker done done

^^^  Baaahahahahahaha!  Good one.   :D

That tin is a great idea for a pick holder though.  Might have to steal it.

Loop 3 Boomerang+

Poster

actually walker the tin is a terrible idea

1) itll rattle with low freq like rocks in a tin can- not got for recording or gigging.

2) itll get sticky when its get spilled on

3) it is unsightly, in a non fresh way

4) there are certainly better mints out there.. its a competative mint market these days.. smints anyone? mmm fresh delicious

5) if there isnt any weed in there itll rattle. so maybe fill it with lots of kind bud, then add the picks? <-- meh too messy

----

You wanna know what I got for my picks? An addidas hard plastic locking sunglasses case. Its padded on the inside. Hard plastic outside. All black too. I have it in a mountain hardware day hiker pack along with my other gig tech gear...

Silent, efficient, secure, and most importantly sexy sleek

patrickstefanski

@walker......yeah it's been working great, but DEFINITELY not my idea, i've seen this done quite a bit, feel free to continue the legacy.  Currently I have picks in the green one and some e's and b's in the other. 

@poster....foam lining solves your rattling woes....and unsightly?  nay sir, nay.
Current Rig:

aoguitars

I used to have an Altoids can like that on my 'board. In it was a little action figure I named Kung Fu Joe--when you opened the can, his karate chop arm came out to defend the picks (or other fun things). Scared off the riff-raff.
ao

Andrew Olson
AO Guitars
www.aoguitars.com